• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

F*#$ our Local Writers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

I'd just like to remind everybody that UF, for their first twenty years, was playing on the baseball field with a capacity of 5,000. Sure it was a different time but let's not forget when we started. This program has done amazing things and it sucks that the local press goes out of their way to dump on it. I won't click on any link going to the Times anymore.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

We are very sensitive bunch!  We draw 30k and play in a 70k seat stadium, it is what it is..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I am not a Fennelly fan. I see nothing wrong with this article though. We've got a good team in Tampa, and outside the student section that crowd was weak last night, and it looked that way on TV

Edited by Joe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,773

3 minutes ago, Bulls1181 said:
Just now, Joe said:

I am not a Fennelly fan. I see nothing wrong with this article though. We've got a good team in Tampa.

We are very sensitive bunch!  We draw 30k and play in a 70k seat stadium, it is what it is..

Is it his particular style you find offensive? Is it not a true statement that attendance is an issue? Would you prefer a bland recitation of stats for an article? There's only so much that can be written when you're playing NIU. How many superlatives should he string together to tout the attendance figures....any? It's NIU...the expected W before the game is played. Not much of a David and Goliath story to be had, so you paint it as best you can. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I thought Joey had a very good write up today (well, early this AM).  Perfect tone for the article and he even use announced attendance to compare apples to apples.  Nope, not being sarcastic...it really was a solid piece IMO.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

12 minutes ago, NCBull said:

I thought Joey had a very good write up today (well, early this AM).  Perfect tone for the article and he even use announced attendance to compare apples to apples.  Nope, not being sarcastic...it really was a solid piece IMO.

he probably just didn't want his twitter to blowup again

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

14 minutes ago, NCBull said:

Just MHO, but we should be careful not to lump Fennelly and Knight together. My only real fault with Knight is that he retweets Fennelly sometimes, but that might be Times policy. Fennelly is a columnist, while Knight handles the beat as a reporter. 

Auman used to report both actual and announced attendance, but we weren't so sensitive back then because the team was doing well much of the time Auman covered us.

Also, we don't know how much in terms of resources Knight has as compared to what Auman had. He may not give us as much by way of analysis, but remember USF was a BCS team under most of Auman's tenure, whereas now it isn't. Times resources may reflect that.

My point is this: Fennelly's column, as frustrating as he usually is, actually wasn't terrible THIS TIME. The major thrust of it was that Tampa Bay should embrace this team. We don't want to be overly defensive because then legitimate criticisms (and there are many) may fall on deaf ears in the future.

It is what it is. Let's just focus on doing what we can as a fanbase - using tickets we've got, encouraging others to come, donating, etc. The rest will take care of itself. 

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

26 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Is it his particular style you find offensive? Is it not a true statement that attendance is an issue? Would you prefer a bland recitation of stats for an article? There's only so much that can be written when you're playing NIU. How many superlatives should he string together to tout the attendance figures....any? It's NIU...the expected W before the game is played. Not much of a David and Goliath story to be had, so you paint it as best you can. 

I think what upsets people, is there was no need to even get into attendance in this article.  It's the constant need by local writers to somehow dump on USF no matter how good they are doing.  Why couldn't the article simply have been "USF is a fun team to watch right now", and kept it to talking about the explosive offense, the string of home victories, etc...  Why even get into attendance when that wasn't what the bulk of the article was about?  

I mean I can think of about a dozen different articles (Bronson's big game, Tice/Johnson stepping up in Macks absence, long string of regular season dominance USF has shown, Flowers biggest game passing of his career, awesome student section, etc...) that could be written after this game, and maybe some of them were (I refuse to give them clicks at this point to check it out), but dumping on attendance at this point is unoriginal.  

• Upvote 3

Guest PCBull14
10 minutes ago, Bullshiznitz said:

I think what upsets people, is there was no need to even get into attendance in this article.  It's the constant need by local writers to somehow dump on USF no matter how good they are doing.  Why couldn't the article simply have been "USF is a fun team to watch right now", and kept it to talking about the explosive offense, the string of home victories, etc...  Why even get into attendance when that wasn't what the bulk of the article was about?  

I mean I can think of about a dozen different articles (Bronson's big game, Tice/Johnson stepping up in Macks absence, long string of regular season dominance USF has shown, Flowers biggest game passing of his career, awesome student section, etc...) that could be written after this game, and maybe some of them were (I refuse to give them clicks at this point to check it out), but dumping on attendance at this point is unoriginal.  

This. I don't read that crap anymore. I will never defend that *****. Quite frankly when people post there articles here, the quick scroll is amazing! 

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611

I think some are missing the point. It's not that nobody is allowed to criticize the Bulls. To the contrary, constructive criticism is absolutely necessary and welcome. Any group or person that cannot accept it is not mature or rational. Rather it's the tone that Fennelly uses; one of derision and condescending disrespect. Most of the media in the area aren't horrible, they just don't seem to really care more than superficially to cover USF with insight. So I'm not losing sleep over what anybody writes but I have every right to have an opinion about it. Some people seem to think that the press should be exempt from criticism.

• Upvote 2