• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

South Florida working on buyout for Orlando Antigua

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

I don't remember that at all - was trying to find a link to the story and got nothing.  What was said?  

About midway through the season Skip was visibly frustrated and he flat out told the reporters that the defense was told to blitz more but some coaches weren't listening to him, and they needed to start listening.  Or something to that effect.  One of the very few times I ever saw him visibly upset.

The team blitz more after that, but it was clear that Cosh and Holtz were done no matter what else happened.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, Who'sYourData? said:

About midway through the season Skip was visibly frustrated and he flat out told the reporters that the defense was told to blitz more but some coaches weren't listening to him, and they needed to start listening.  Or something to that effect.  One of the very few times I ever saw him visibly upset.

The team blitz more after that, but it was clear that Cosh and Holtz were done no matter what else happened.

Thanks ... I never saw that, somehow that detail escaped me.  Probably because I was done with USF football a little earlier that year.  

11 hours ago, TallyBull said:

^ Cosh.  I'd almost forgotten about that dumpster fire of a hire.  Thanks for reminding me - I guess.

Any time I can help. :)

2 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Thanks ... I never saw that, somehow that detail escaped me.  Probably because I was done with USF football a little earlier that year.  

Yes, those press conferences got difficult to see as things went on.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

I hope not, he was doing some pretty good recruiting. I feel the basketball team was bound for a good year. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

6 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

One of the very few times I ever saw him visibly upset.

You should have seen him in the sand trap on #13 at Avila Golf and Country Club.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Pete Gillen! 2009!

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

9 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Regardless of what you think about COA's recruiting in a vacuum, he hasn't been able to recruit to the degree necessary to replace the players he ran off, let alone improve it. His record at USF is a direct reflection of him as a coach. Why anyone who wants to retain someone with a .281 winning percentage and a looming scandal is beyond me.

Putting the scandal aside. You can't turnover head coaches all the time and expect to win. We aren't a reload program, we need consistency to build on. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,517
  • Days Won:  422

8 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

That's a great point Mike, but the numbers aside, I just haven't seen anything from him that leads me to believe that three years into his tenure things are going to click.

How did CWT look going into his 3rd year? The MBB team this year will consist of 13 of 15 being his players (barring more fallout) with basically 4 new starters,  and most of them not the plug ins he's had to use the last 2 years.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,517
  • Days Won:  422

7 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

The definition of a strawman argument. Any succes that the football team had has zero bearing COA's abilities or lack thereof.

That's not a strawman argument. It's called an example of how things can change after a coach has more of his type players to work with.