• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College Football Playoff Expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

good question.  I think that by having determined already who is the best in each P5 conference by having the conf champ go to the playoff means a lot.  The 6th spot going to the highest rated G5 conf champ or independent also allows a path for the smaller schools.  By having 32 teams make the playoffs it dilutes the value of the regular season and the great tradition of the game.  

Thanks for your response but the tradition of the game will never get in the way of the powers that be making a few dollars more. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

Thanks for your response but the tradition of the game will never get in the way of the powers that be making a few dollars more. 

what you need to understand is the CONFERENCE makes the $$$ not the individual schools so by ensuring each P5 conference gets a team into the playoffs they are guarenteed their $$$

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/revenue-distribution

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

6 sounds good, but I really think the next step is 8 teams.  That way you get the P5 champs, the best one of the G5 and 2 at larges.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

6 sounds good, but I really think the next step is 8 teams.  That way you get the P5 champs, the best one of the G5 and 2 at larges.

if you do 6 and reward the top 2 teams determined by the playoff committee a bye, it adds more value to the regular season IMO

what you need to understand is the CONFERENCE makes the $$$ not the individual schools so by ensuring each P5 conference gets a team into the playoffs they are guarenteed their $$$

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/revenue-distribution

I realize that.   Let's see how things play out.  I have no plans of being a grave digger but remember this conversation in the years to come 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305

if you ever want the team you root for to have an opportunity to play for a NC why would you want 4 or 6?

The playoff would have to expand to 128 for that to happen. No way a two and three loss team should be playing against an undefeated team for the title. That creates the scenario where "Yeah we lost, but it is only one. We can afford to lose one." Every game matters now. If we go to 8 and 16, it wont. Maybe if there were a bunch of undefeated teams getting left out, but I dont see the problem. The two and three teams sitting outside of the 8 or 10 or whatever will always make that argument. We have been doing two teams since the beginning, and now four isnt enough? In 2007 #1 seed LSU had two losses. Heck, the top six teams finished with two losses. At what point do we stop it? If USF wants to play in the NCG, stop losing games. 

The playoff would have to expand to 128 for that to happen. No way a two and three loss team should be playing against an undefeated team for the title. That creates the scenario where "Yeah we lost, but it is only one. We can afford to lose one." Every game matters now. If we go to 8 and 16, it wont. Maybe if there were a bunch of undefeated teams getting left out, but I dont see the problem. The two and three teams sitting outside of the 8 or 10 or whatever will always make that argument. We have been doing two teams since the beginning, and now four isnt enough? In 2007 #1 seed LSU had two losses. Heck, the top six teams finished with two losses. At what point do we stop it? If USF wants to play in the NCG, stop losing games. 

I had a little trouble following your post and I'm not sure what you are saying.  I have no idea why we would need an 128 team playoff if I wanted USF to get chance someday to play for a NC.  

Sorry, you lost me on the rest as well. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

And this is the point you are missing. USF will never get a shot at the NCG if it stays at 4 teams. An undefeated USF team won't get chosen by the voters. It's rigged for the P5 right now.

Edited by CPR
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

6 teams while ideal, (conf champs and a G5) is a messy bracket. Im not a fan of the bye week in a college bracket. So go 8, with conf champs, g5 champ (basically AAC champ lol), and 2 at larges

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,640

6 teams while ideal, (conf champs and a G5) is a messy bracket. Im not a fan of the bye week in a college bracket. So go 8, with conf champs, g5 champ (basically AAC champ lol), and 2 at larges

TOTALLY on board with this with one caveat.  I think any conference champ should have to be ranked in the top 20. It would suck for an 8-3  or 7-4 P5 conf champ to slip into the playoffs which would be possible.