• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College Football Playoff Expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

TOTALLY on board with this with one caveat.  I think any conference champ should have to be ranked in the top 20. It would suck for an 8-3  or 7-4 P5 conf champ to slip into the playoffs which would be possible.

i agree with your premise. No team outside the AP top 25. Forget this committee crap, it clearly is biased for the P5. Im pleasently surprised its not SEC biased as well though

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

And this is the point you are missing. USF will never get a shot at the NCG if it stays at 4 teams. An undefeated USF team won't get chosen by the voters. It's rigged for the P5 right now.

Exactly, I also personally dislike the "lose one game and your season is over" thing we have now.  Every year the super bowl champion has lost games and we all know how important every Sunday is to them.

Check out the Bulls this year, we had a rough start but almost played ourselves into the CCG and it was really exciting.  Would Memphis or Navy be strutting around saying they were the best team in the league if we won?  Only the idiot portion of their fans would try to pull that.  We all know the transitive property does not apply to football - or we should know.

Today, the team that is anointed the titled has to win the beauty contest because it has not been proven on the field.  Who cares if a team is undefeated if they get hot at the end of the year and beat everyone else?  Wanting the NC team to be undefeated is clinging to the vestiges of an archaic system. 

Teams with multiple losses would play tougher later into the season if they still had a mathematical chance of making a play off.  Today, they lose a game or two and they know their chance of going all the way is over and they give up.  

Today sucks compared to what it could be (it would eclipse March Madness) but like I said, the seal has been broken and it is only a matter of time now.  This argument is moot. 

Edited by mark_my_words
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

"Every year the super bowl champion has lost games and we all know how important every Sunday is to them."

Almost every year...

Somebody was going to do it to ya!

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

Exactly, I also personally dislike the "lose one game and your season is over" thing we have now.  Every year the super bowl champion has lost games and we all know how important every Sunday is to them.

Check out the Bulls this year, we had a rough start but almost played ourselves into the CCG and it was really exciting.  Would Memphis or Navy be strutting around saying they were the best team in the league if we won?  Only the idiot portion of their fans would try to pull that.  We all know the transitive property does not apply to football - or we should know.

Today, the team that is anointed the titled has to win the beauty contest because it has not been proven on the field.  Who cares if a team is undefeated if they get hot at the end of the year and beat everyone else?  Wanting the NC team to be undefeated is clinging to the vestiges of an archaic system. 

Teams with multiple losses would play tougher later into the season if they still had a mathematical chance of making a play off.  Today, they lose a game or two and they know their chance of going all the way is over and they give up.  

Today sucks compared to what it could be (it would eclipse March Madness) but like I said, the seal has been broken and it is only a matter of time now.  This argument is moot. 

sorry brother, I completely disagree.  Part of what makes college football the greatest sport is exactly because you can't be 6-6 and make the playoffs like in the NFL.  I don't want to see it become March Madness either.  You said  you don't care what a team does the first half of the season, only that they are hot at the end.  I think that's a bad idea. Also, 3 of the 4 teams playing for the championship already have one loss

Edited by Sellular1

"Every year the super bowl champion has lost games and we all know how important every Sunday is to them."

Almost every year...

Somebody was going to do it to ya!

You know, I meant to type that too and it slipped my mind at the time.  You are absolutely correct - "almost every year"

sorry brother, I completely disagree.  Part of what makes college football the greatest sport is exactly because you can't be 6-6 and make the playoffs like in the NFL.  I don't want to see it become March Madness either.  You said  you don't care what a team does the first half of the season, only that they are hot at the end.  I think that's a bad idea. Also, 3 of the 4 teams playing for the championship already have one loss

I hear ya.  Just my personal preference, I can't bend reality to my will yet so the current situation is pretty safe.  :FIREdevil:

Edited by mark_my_words

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

I hear ya.  Just my personal preference, I can't bend reality to my will yet so the current situation is pretty safe.

part of me just hates the changes.  It used to be so cool that the bowl games actually meant something, that deciding who the best team is was done after every bowl game was over.  That champ could come from any of the big bowls.  The AP and coaches picked different teams, there was controversy that lasted the entire off season.  Things weren't so sterile.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

6 team playoff would be great. The P5 champions plus one at large. Top 2 get a bye..

The G5 would have a little better chance to make it. In the current system I don't think the G5 has a chance.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

6 sounds good, but I really think the next step is 8 teams.  That way you get the P5 champs, the best one of the G5 and 2 at larges.

Unless the G5 team is legislated, you'd be unlikely to ever see it happen. There will always be a 1 loss SEC/PAC/BIG school that gets in first.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Unless the G5 team is legislated, you'd be unlikely to ever see it happen. There will always be a 1 loss SEC/PAC/BIG school that gets in first.

^ This, the only way a G5 has a real shot is if they are guaranteed a spot.  Eight teams, five P5 champs, highest G5 champ, 2 at large, done.

With that format these would be the games: 

Clemson v. Ohio State

Alabama v. Iowa

Michigan State v. Houston

Oklahoma v. Stanford

Edited by Apis Bull