• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please, please, walk home Taggert

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,545
  • Days Won:  423

No, the problem is that he is obviously still learning how to be a head coach.  There are other options out there that don't need to learn on the job.

But, hey, he still has four games to prove he's learned enough.  Let's see what happens.  He certainly won't get fired if we're 8-4, and most likely will get fired at 4-8.  I'm not calling for his job.  I think it is pointless to speculate.  He's done enough he might not be gone and not enough to prove he should be here another year or more.  It's wait and see, which is what everyone should be thinking at this point.

Can't disagree with anything you said there ...

Or maybe you just haven't noticed that we are one month shy of the third year being over and we have eight wins to show for it.   Four games left to show something more than that.

I honestly don't give a crap about about his first 6 wins and his first 2 years here. This is the one that matters and where the improvement needed to be shown. I think it has up to this point but there are 4 more games before Harlan has to make the decision.

You have to understand how Trip's mind works.  If you said the earth was round, he would come back with, "it's technically not round, it's slightly oval shaped"

Actually it's more of an oblate spheroid ...

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I honestly don't give a crap about about his first 6 wins and his first 2 years here. This is the one that matters and where the improvement needed to be shown. I think it has up to this point but there are 4 more games before Harlan has to make the decision.

And still we agree.  This can't be good.

And still we agree.  This can't be good.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/RV-AC818_MAY21_DV_20110512181716.jpg

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

We need butts in seats & winning helps but is a 6-6 record going to put fans in seats & get season ticket renewals?

Probably not in the immediately upcoming season, as we have a very fickle fan base. Long-term, however, I think a 6-6 record and getting to a bowl game is a foundation to build upon. If Taggart has been recruiting well the last few seasons of atrocious football, I think he earns another few recruiting classes to win the AAC. Nothing "Holtz-like" and long term in terms of contract extensions, but I'd like to see what Taggart can do for a few more seasons, assuming he gets to a bowl this season

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

I, like you Triple B, am a seasoned college football fan. I like what you said. These 3 years have been hard to watch.  At least there was some relief with the wins. My concern that has been mentioned in previous threads is the fan base if CWT stays.  We need butts in seats & winning helps but is a 6-6 record going to put fans in seats & get season ticket renewals?

6-6 won't put butts in the seats, but it gets you 15 extra practices and sells more recruits on your plan to be the first regime to bring a league title to USF.  I understand patience is wearing thin, but any coach will need a 3 year minimum with the shape we were in after 2012.  If Willie recruited well at 2-10, imagine 6-6?  I'm fine with firing the guy if he doesn't make a bowl, but my gut tells me we will.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,500
  • Days Won:  10

I was reading about the retirement of Frank Beamer at Va Tech and thought it interesting to note that didn't win more than 3 games in his first two seasons there ('87 and '88) and then only 2 wins in '92.  He went on, of course, to do a pretty good job.

I'm certainly not implying that CWT is a Frank Beamer, but I am saying that we are probably not going be looking for a coach after this season if we continue to improve.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

I was reading about the retirement of Frank Beamer at Va Tech and thought it interesting to note that didn't win more than 3 games in his first two seasons there ('87 and '88) and then only 2 wins in '92.  He went on, of course, to do a pretty good job.

I'm certainly not implying that CWT is a Frank Beamer, but I am saying that we are probably not going be looking for a coach after this season if we continue to improve.

If Michael Vick hadn't come along, he probably would have been canned.  Here's hoping AW is our Vick, from a football skill level that is.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

6-6 won't put butts in the seats, but it gets you 15 extra practices and sells more recruits on your plan to be the first regime to bring a league title to USF.  I understand patience is wearing thin, but any coach will need a 3 year minimum with the shape we were in after 2012.  If Willie recruited well at 2-10, imagine 6-6?  I'm fine with firing the guy if he doesn't make a bowl, but my gut tells me we will.

If we finish strong with at least 6-6 and UCF has to lick our boots, I think everyone settles down and no one will care so much that he's learning on the job. Heck, I've been working for 18 years and still get humbled at all I don't know, so everyone learns on the job. It's whether he adjusts that matters to me, and so far this season, I've been delightfully surprised.

• Upvote 2