• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please, please, walk home Taggert

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If we finish strong with at least 6-6 and UCF has to lick our boots, I think everyone settles down and no one will care so much that he's learning on the job. Heck, I've been working for 18 years and still get humbled at all I don't know, so everyone learns on the job. It's whether he adjusts that matters to me, and so far this season, I've been delightfully surprised.

If your job involves dealing with people and opposition or adverse interests you're likely to be learning on the job. Every day.  The only real question is whether someone has the minimum requisite knowledge to get a job. 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I watched the game with two former Bucs players and they were both calling this out throughout the game.  It was painfully obvious. Someone needs to take your keyboard away.

So... given the fact that our OFFENSE couldn't do anything which kept our DEFENSE on the field for 40 minutes, which was a major reason why Navy was able to put up so many yards and quite arguably the reason the last TD was scored by Navy since our defense was just on the field for a 10 play 80 yard 6+ minute drive and hadn't even sat down before Adam's coughed the ball back to Navy we should complain about the defense. Especially since you watched the game with 2 former Bucs players who were pointing out that a triple option run attack was having success running the football? 

Our defense gave up a lot of yards there is no denying that, but to not even take into consideration the way the game played out is ridiculous. I don't care what defense is playing. You put any defense on the field for 40 minutes in a 60 minute ball game and the stats are not going to be pretty. 

The defense did everything they could to keep us in that game. 22-17 with 5 minutes left in the game and our offense getting the ball back. If you're going to complain about our defense before you complain about our offense who couldn't sustain a drive or find a way to score  more than 10 points then someone needs to take your keyboard away. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

So... given the fact that our OFFENSE couldn't do anything which kept our DEFENSE on the field for 40 minutes, which was a major reason why Navy was able to put up so many yards and quite arguably the reason the last TD was scored by Navy since our defense was just on the field for a 10 play 80 yard 6+ minute drive and hadn't even sat down before Adam's coughed the ball back to Navy we should complain about the defense. Especially since you watched the game with 2 former Bucs players who were pointing out that a triple option run attack was having success running the football? 

Our defense gave up a lot of yards there is no denying that, but to not even take into consideration the way the game played out is ridiculous. I don't care what defense is playing. You put any defense on the field for 40 minutes in a 60 minute ball game and the stats are not going to be pretty. 

The defense did everything they could to keep us in that game. 22-17 with 5 minutes left in the game and our offense getting the ball back. If you're going to complain about our defense before you complain about our offense who couldn't sustain a drive or find a way to score  more than 10 points then someone needs to take your keyboard away. 

http://38.media.tumblr.com/a2bdd4fcda4bf7693ab3cf1358559e85/tumblr_inline_nk1njxfWbz1r29fne.gif

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Ive seen a couple people mention this, but I'm not sure how that's a full excuse for the defense, as that disparity is in large part their fault (along with the fault of the fumbled kickoff).  Time was only at a little more than a minute difference at half.  Almost all that disparity comes from 3 straight drives:  7:33 drive in the mid 3rd quarter that ended in a FG, (4:08 USF drive in-between - can't fault the offense for not giving them a breather) followed up by a 5:47 drive that ended up in a TD, quickly followed by another 5:09 drive for the game killing TD. I won't fault them for the last TD, as the fumbled kickoff hurt. But being that time was close to being equal in that early third quarter, that 7 min drive and the almost 6 min drive is on them.  They shouldn't have been gassed for those.  

Edited by Bullshiznitz

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,606
  • Days Won:  424

I watched the game with two former Bucs players and they were both calling this out throughout the game.  It was painfully obvious. Someone needs to take your keyboard away.

How many games had those Bucs players coached against triple option teams?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ive seen a couple people mention this, but I'm not sure how that's a full excuse for the defense, as that disparity is in large part their fault (along with the fault of the fumbled kickoff).  Time was only at a little more than a minute difference at half.  Almost all that disparity comes from 3 straight drives:  7:33 drive in the mid 3rd quarter that ended in a FG, (4:08 USF drive in-between - can't fault the offense for not giving them a breather) followed up by a 5:47 drive that ended up in a TD, quickly followed by another 5:09 drive for the game killing TD. I won't fault them for the last TD, as the fumbled kickoff hurt. But being that time was close to being equal in that early third quarter, that 7 min drive and the almost 6 min drive is on them.  They shouldn't have been gassed for those.  

A full excuse? It's not an excuse.... What did you people expect out of our defense walking into Navy, a 6-1 team, who averaged 35ppg running an offense that is rarely seen in college football??

Did you expect us to just shut them down and hold them to 6 points? That last TD is not on the defense at all. Anyone who wouldn't be happy about only giving up 22 points on the road to that team is expecting way too much. I'm not saying they couldn't of played better, but this whole bash the defense thing for that game is way off in my opinion.

What does it matter how the time plays out? Our defense was on the field for 40 minutes. The stats are never going to be pretty when that's the case, period.

Your point about the offense not sustaining drives not withstanding, the defense playing with 6 in the box against a spread offense is what primarily lead to Navy controlling the ball for 40 minutes. Bringing in a 7th or even 8th player would have given the defense a chance at getting off the field quicker and in turn would have created more drive opportunities for the offense.

When you wrap head around that one let me know and I'll teach you about the forward pass.

Thanks so much. You've opened my eyes and I'm really sorry. I just wasn't aware that you were not only a smarter defensive football mind than Tom Allen, but you would be an even better coach than what he is. You have shown me the light and I have no idea what I was thinking saying that this isn't on our defense. I mean when you really think about it, with our offense getting the ball back with 5 minutes left with a chance to go win the game on the road against a 6-1 team and our D holding them to 22 points (prior to that giveaway at the end) it's pretty sickening that our defense didn't hold them to one less TD. Or even better that Rodney Adams didn't return another kick-off to ensure a win. Hopefully you've emailed your thoughts to Allen so that we will be better prepared as a defense moving forward. 

It's crazy that all of these coaches talk about "assignment football" when speaking about how to stop the triple option and not stacking the box. They must all be fools...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

Thanks so much. You've opened my eyes and I'm really sorry. I just wasn't aware that you were not only a smarter defensive football mind than Tom Allen, but you would be an even better coach than what he is. You have shown me the light and I have no idea what I was thinking saying that this isn't on our defense. I mean when you really think about it, with our offense getting the ball back with 5 minutes left with a chance to go win the game on the road against a 6-1 team and our D holding them to 22 points (prior to that giveaway at the end) it's pretty sickening that our defense didn't hold them to one less TD. Or even better that Rodney Adams didn't return another kick-off to ensure a win. Hopefully you've emailed your thoughts to Allen so that we will be better prepared as a defense moving forward. 

It's crazy that all of these coaches talk about "assignment football" when speaking about how to stop the triple option and not stacking the box. They must all be fools...

I don't know why you're giving BryBull such a hard time.  Navy had more rushing yards against USF than every team they played all year.  Even Colgate held Navy to fewer rushing yards than we did.  I think our defense played fairly well but we should have put more people in the box.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why you're giving BryBull such a hard time.  Navy had more rushing yards against USF than every team they played all year.  Even Colgate held Navy to fewer rushing yards than we did.  I think our defense played fairly well but we should have put more people in the box.

Not giving him such a hard time. He's the one talking down to me telling me he will teach me about the forward pass.

I just completely disagree with someone who says their gripe with the navy game was our defense. Our defense didn't play the best game we've ever seen, but they certainly played good enough on the road against a **** good team. Had our offense figured out a way to put some points on the board no one even talks about us giving up a bunch of rushing yards to a team that runs the triple option.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

Not giving him such a hard time. He's the one talking down to me telling me he will teach me about the forward pass.

I just completely disagree with someone who says their gripe with the navy game was our defense. Our defense didn't play the best game we've ever seen, but they certainly played good enough on the road against a **** good team. Had our offense figured out a way to put some points on the board no one even talks about us giving up a bunch of rushing yards to a team that runs the triple option.

I understand. I think our defense played very well considering the formation they played.  I also think Allen was too late to make adjustments.  Will be interesting to see this weekend how Memphis plays defense against Navy.