• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please, please, walk home Taggert

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Growth in the coaching?  See, this is what I have issue with.  Granted, we are not in a P5 conference.  But we are in the strongest G5 conference.  We shouldn't have a coach that needs three years to grow.  If he needs three years of growth, he should be coaching FBS, or at least CUSA.  There are plenty of coaches that already understand how to call plays and don't need years of growth to become mediocre at calling plays.

Don't disagree that the growth has taken too long. It's been painful to go through the last few years, but it's obvious that he has made an improvement in his coaching and our team has made a major improvement on the field. There is nothing wrong with people acknowledging that. We were in a bad spot and only the best of the best would have had us respectable in year 2 so. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,631
  • Days Won:  424

Growth in the coaching?  See, this is what I have issue with.  Granted, we are not in a P5 conference.  But we are in the strongest G5 conference.  We shouldn't have a coach that needs three years to grow.  If he needs three years of growth, he should be coaching FBS, or at least CUSA.  There are plenty of coaches that already understand how to call plays and don't need years of growth to become mediocre at calling plays.

Don't want to put words in your mouth but it sounds like no matter what CWT and the team does the rest of the year, he should be gone because, gosh darn it, he just took too long to grow into the job ...

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

Don't want to put words in your mouth but it sounds like no matter what CWT and the team does the rest of the year, he should be gone because, gosh darn it, he just took too long to grow into the job ...

I don't think he's saying that at all.  Just commenting on the type of honeymoon that CWT has had with some posters.  You'd think the guy graduated from USF or something.  I want to see him succeed and stay here, but he hasn't earned it yet.  He should be evaluated at the end of the season.  I think we go to a bowl this year and he stays.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,631
  • Days Won:  424

I don't think he's saying that at all.  Just commenting on the type of honeymoon that CWT has had with some posters.  You'd think the guy graduated from USF or something.  I want to see him succeed and stay here, but he hasn't earned it yet.  He should be evaluated at the end of the season.  I think we go to a bowl this year and he stays.

ANY coach should get at least 3 years and that's how long the honeymoon SHOULD last to a rational fan who has followed college football .... so the type honeymoon he's had with some posters  is entirely warranted, IMO.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

No, the problem is that he is obviously still learning how to be a head coach.  There are other options out there that don't need to learn on the job.

But, hey, he still has four games to prove he's learned enough.  Let's see what happens.  He certainly won't get fired if we're 8-4, and most likely will get fired at 4-8.  I'm not calling for his job.  I think it is pointless to speculate.  He's done enough he might not be gone and not enough to prove he should be here another year or more.  It's wait and see, which is what everyone should be thinking at this point.

Edited by DataBull

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

They had the ball for 40 minutes and ran the ball 69 times. You're going to give up A TON of rushing yards regardless when that is the case. 425 is an awful lot, but they got 42 yards after Adams' fumble when Navy had just had our defense on the field for a 10 play 80 yard 6 minute drive. Our offense had the ball for a total of 6:30 out of 30 minutes of play in the 2nd half. Our defense was dead tired. 

Look at the big picture. The score was 22-17 Navy with just under 7 minutes left in the game. The defense/special teams kept us in the game and you're complaining about the defense. Our offense scored 10 points and obviously couldn't put a few drives together to give our defense a chance to even sit down in the 2nd half. This game is not on the defense. They performed just fine considering the circumstances. Because our offense failed to score TDs when deep in Navy territory and because they couldn't find a way to stay on the field in the 2nd half was our achilles' heel. 

Navy is a really good football team. They're 6-1 for a reason. We are not on that level yet. We are getting there though. 

Just because Tulane had a better game plan to stop the triple option doesn't mean they're better than us. That's funny though.  

I dont disagree with anything you said.  My only point was that Tulane showed how to slow down the Navy triple option by packing the box.  We chose to play a more layered defense that proved to be less effective. 

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

ANY coach should get at least 3 years and that's how long the honeymoon SHOULD last to a rational fan who has followed college football .... so the type honeymoon he's had with some posters  is entirely warranted, IMO.

I, like you Triple B, am a seasoned college football fan. I like what you said. These 3 years have been hard to watch.  At least there was some relief with the wins. My concern that has been mentioned in previous threads is the fan base if CWT stays.  We need butts in seats & winning helps but is a 6-6 record going to put fans in seats & get season ticket renewals?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Or maybe you just haven't noticed that we are one month shy of the third year being over and we have eight wins to show for it.   Four games left to show something more than that.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

You have to understand how Trip's mind works.  If you said the earth was round, he would come back with, "it's technically not round, it's slightly oval shaped"

• Upvote 1