• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please, please, walk home Taggert

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,602
  • Days Won:  424

Tulane showed the blueprint of how to slow Navy's running game, we missed that lesson. 

My response was to your quote, "I guess Tulane's just a lot better than we are". Probably should have taken it as "I guess Tulane's just a lot better at stopping Navy's triple option than we are" which was the only way that was accurate ...... my bad.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

We gave up over 425 yards rushing.  Allowed 3 Navy players to go over 100 yards each for the first time in 135 years of playing football. The week before, Tulane held Navy to 133 yards of total rushing.  I guess Tulane's just a lot better than we are.

In the end the total amount of yards don't matter, it's the amount of points. Tulane shut down their run game but couldn't keep them out of the end zone. 29 points is very good, considering 7 of those came at the very end off a turnover.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

My response was to your quote, "I guess Tulane's just a lot better than we are". Probably should have taken it as "I guess Tulane's just a lot better at stopping Navy's triple option than we are" which was the only way that was accurate ...... my bad.

Yes, If you follow the quote trail it is obvious that the discussion is about our defense and specifically the way Allen prepared for it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,602
  • Days Won:  424

Yes, If you follow the quote trail it is obvious that the discussion is about our defense and specifically the way Allen prepared for it.

Apparently Tulane's a lot better than Notre Dame, too ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

I thought we would crowd the box and force them to throw the ball. We didn't.

I thought we could throw the ball on them. We didn't. Well, we couldn't catch it anyway.

I thought we could run outside on them. We couldn't.

Apparently Tulane's a lot better than Notre Dame, too ...

Tulane clearly stopped the run better than ND

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

To the people that want CWT gone no matter what, this game (which those same people predicted would be a loss), was further justification for their feelings.  After the Maryland game, I though CWT should be gone, because that loss was clearly on him.  Since then, I have changed my opinion.  I see growth in the coaching and in the execution, dropped passes not withstanding.

I think if those mentioned would look at this objectively, which is unlikely to happen, they would see that things are getting better.

Growth in the coaching?  See, this is what I have issue with.  Granted, we are not in a P5 conference.  But we are in the strongest G5 conference.  We shouldn't have a coach that needs three years to grow.  If he needs three years of growth, he should be coaching FBS, or at least CUSA.  There are plenty of coaches that already understand how to call plays and don't need years of growth to become mediocre at calling plays.

• Upvote 1

Growth in the coaching?  See, this is what I have issue with.  Granted, we are not in a P5 conference.  But we are in the strongest G5 conference.  We shouldn't have a coach that needs three years to grow.  If he needs three years of growth, he should be coaching FBS, or at least CUSA.  There are plenty of coaches that already understand how to call plays and don't need years of growth to become mediocre at calling plays.

tumblr_njqe76RH0v1rrx588o1_500.gif

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

We gave up over 425 yards rushing.  Allowed 3 Navy players to go over 100 yards each for the first time in 135 years of playing football. The week before, Tulane held Navy to 133 yards of total rushing.  I guess Tulane's just a lot better than we are.

They had the ball for 40 minutes and ran the ball 69 times. You're going to give up A TON of rushing yards regardless when that is the case. 425 is an awful lot, but they got 42 yards after Adams' fumble when Navy had just had our defense on the field for a 10 play 80 yard 6 minute drive. Our offense had the ball for a total of 6:30 out of 30 minutes of play in the 2nd half. Our defense was dead tired. 

Look at the big picture. The score was 22-17 Navy with just under 7 minutes left in the game. The defense/special teams kept us in the game and you're complaining about the defense. Our offense scored 10 points and obviously couldn't put a few drives together to give our defense a chance to even sit down in the 2nd half. This game is not on the defense. They performed just fine considering the circumstances. Because our offense failed to score TDs when deep in Navy territory and because they couldn't find a way to stay on the field in the 2nd half was our achilles' heel. 

Navy is a really good football team. They're 6-1 for a reason. We are not on that level yet. We are getting there though. 

Just because Tulane had a better game plan to stop the triple option doesn't mean they're better than us. That's funny though.  

• Upvote 2