• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Paxton Lynch and his recruitment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  104
  • Days Won:  0

This is a nice article. Didn't know that is how his recruitment went. I am thankful for the schools passing up on him. He has really helped turn our program around and is a great mentor to his successor Brady Davis.

http://memphis.247sports.com/Article/Memphis-QB-Paxton-Lynchs-journey-through-the-recruiting-process-40463772

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Even though I think Fuente is a better coach than O'Leary, I think there's a lot of similarities between Memphis (Lynch years) and UCF (Bortles years). There's going to be a significant drop-off when Lynch leaves for the NFL after this year. I think Fuente is gone as well and Memphis will struggle to become bowl eligible next year. Lynch is just a diamond in the rough recruit that doesn't come along that often that every school missed on. I doubt Fuente knew he'd be this good at this point, just like I doubt O'Leary thought Bortles would be that good. You guys got very lucky and it will be extremely hard to repeat that position (QB) success.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Heh, Louis had better things to do--fore!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Guest PCBull14

Even though I think Fuente is a better coach than O'Leary, I think there's a lot of similarities between Memphis (Lynch years) and UCF (Bortles years). There's going to be a significant drop-off when Lynch leaves for the NFL after this year. I think Fuente is gone as well and Memphis will struggle to become bowl eligible next year. Lynch is just a diamond in the rough recruit that doesn't come along that often that every school missed on. I doubt Fuente knew he'd be this good at this point, just like I doubt O'Leary thought Bortles would be that good. You guys got very lucky and it will be extremely hard to repeat that position (QB) success.

Fuente is only there for the short term. Sucks for the AAC as Memphis is proving to be a force. Sadly we can probably say that about most of coaches in the AAC that have quick success.

• Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

Heh, Louis had better things to do--fore!!!!!

Sad thing is we didn't have a qb in that class iirc.

Edited by KB

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

South Florida had the Deltona (Fla.) Trinity Christian Academy standout in camp the summer prior to his senior season and told Lynch they were going to offer after the workout.

“They said they were going to offer him after their final camp, and at the end of the camp all the coaches started walking away from him,” David Lynch remembered. “Paxton said dad why are they walking away. I said I don’t’ know but I’m going to find out. I ran after them and they said they changed their mind because they weren’t sure how he was going to react to things making the big jump to the next level.

I'm a little bit surprised. He seems like a good fit for Skippy. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Glad he found the right coach and the right system so things all came together for him. 

Interesting statement about being told the coaches weren't sure how he would react at the next level.  You can say that about any recruit in any sport in college. Sometimes 5 star kids don't get it done and sometimes kids that are passed over completely and have to walk on go on to stellar careers. 

Edited by TigerJay

Not really worried about not winning next year because we will still win games. We will not approach this level of success till Davis has a year under his belt but we have a lot of talent on the offensive side returning and some speedy receivers redshirting or coming in this next class. Defense should be good next year after working out the issues this year. Davis is a gunslinger with excellent touch.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1452367/highlights/210092404/v2

Edited by TigerJay

Fuente leaving isn't black and white and I can say that with authority from within the program. Even South Carolina's insider on 247 mentioned that it might be a hard pull with the backing FedEx and Fred Smith will give Fuente when negation a start. Fuente has actually dropped to their third choice now with Herman #1 and Smart #2