• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Paxton Lynch and his recruitment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

You can add about 100 other coaches to the "blew it with him" column. There aren't many teams who wouldn't take him right now.

True, J...but it seems her had as good of a chance at any, and our "reason" (if true) seems weak.  That said, he was skinny, and had little film, so maybe a guy like Mike White was more appealing to Skip.  I'm sure there are a lot of teams wishing they knew of him and grabbed him...but we had a  clear shot & it sounds like he is loyal enough to have kept him commitment, something sorely lacking with QB's here.

Hahaha... I got my Skip hater down vote of the night. I'll have to post something else about him tomorrow to give whoever it was something else to ding me for.

That was probably from my mom...she hates it when people counter my posts :lmao:

I Thumbs Up'd you, cause it's silly to down vote something so obvious & reasonably stated.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

True, J...but it seems her had as good of a chance at any, and our "reason" (if true) seems weak.  That said, he was skinny, and had little film, so maybe a guy like Mike White was more appealing to Skip.  I'm sure there are a lot of teams wishing they knew of him and grabbed him...but we had a  clear shot & it sounds like he is loyal enough to have kept him commitment, something sorely lacking with QB's here.

I don't know the ins and outs, but a guy who was skinny, ran an option, and was injured most of his senior year, doesn't seem like a slam dunk.

I don't know the ins and outs, but a guy who was skinny, ran an option, and was injured most of his senior year, doesn't seem like a slam dunk.

Agree, and clearly most others did.  Maybe he reminded Skip of a taller version of Eveld.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Tall gangly kid who was injured and played in a wingT offense? Couldn't blame the staff if they didn't take that guy.

However, that's why colleges have camps so they can evaluate kids for themselves. It's up to the staff to see if the kid has athleticism or ability that could translate. The staff watched Lynch on our campus, running drills like other players and decided he wasn't worth a scholarship offer. Ultimately that's on our staff for being wrong. The fact that only Memphis and FAMU offered him supports that decision but man it sucks when we miss one that would have come to us if an offer had been made.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Even though I think Fuente is a better coach than O'Leary, I think there's a lot of similarities between Memphis (Lynch years) and UCF (Bortles years). There's going to be a significant drop-off when Lynch leaves for the NFL after this year. I think Fuente is gone as well and Memphis will struggle to become bowl eligible next year. Lynch is just a diamond in the rough recruit that doesn't come along that often that every school missed on. I doubt Fuente knew he'd be this good at this point, just like I doubt O'Leary thought Bortles would be that good. You guys got very lucky and it will be extremely hard to repeat that position (QB) success.

Bortles was not the catalyst for UCF, he was just along for the ride.  It was the group of WRs that carried Bortles to the #1 pick.  And Storm Johnson helped quite a bit too.  Notice that Justin Holman had a pretty good year last year with the WRs still there.  They are all gone this year and the team has collapsed.

Bortles was not the catalyst for UCF, he was just along for the ride.  It was the group of WRs that carried Bortles to the #1 pick.  And Storm Johnson helped quite a bit too.  Notice that Justin Holman had a pretty good year last year with the WRs still there.  They are all gone this year and the team has collapsed.

Silly.  Yes, he had a great cast, but you could tell Bortles was going to be special when he beat out the other QB (skinny kid, can't recall his name...or care enough to look it up).  He developed quickly, including adding muscle.  He also learned to be a thinking QB quickly.  He has the tools & talent, which is why he was drafted so high.  And, he's doing well in the NFL, despite a mediocre cast...though they are getting better this year.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Silly.  Yes, he had a great cast, but you could tell Bortles was going to be special when he beat out the other QB (skinny kid, can't recall his name...or care enough to look it up).  He developed quickly, including adding muscle.  He also learned to be a thinking QB quickly.  He has the tools & talent, which is why he was drafted so high.  And, he's doing well in the NFL, despite a mediocre cast...though they are getting better this year.

Silly that the offense has fallen apart after the four receivers left?  Not even a little bit.  

Silly to discount four NFL caliber receivers on the UCF roster for three years.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Skip tried to duck our and not even face the kid after the camp? Skip Holtz in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen.... 

• Upvote 1