• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Paxton Lynch and his recruitment

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

Skip tried to duck our and not even face the kid after the camp? Skip Holtz in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen.... 

I don't think it's been established that Skip was there ... This may have been the Golfgate camp.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

I don't think it's been established that Skip was there ... This may have been the Golfgate camp.

Not a fan of Hotlz and his recruiting efforts but it sounds like this kid might have looked like a reach given the fact that nobody else offered him.

We have a lot of people floating around that are more plugged into local recruits than I am.  My question is, was there outrage on this board (or any USF board for that matter) when this kid did not get an offer?

I think the answer to that question is more than likely "no" and furthermore, the USF recruiting boards reaction if he did commit would be "WHO?".  

Edited by mark_my_words
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Skip tried to duck our and not even face the kid after the camp? Skip Holtz in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen.... 

You've done it now.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Not a fan of Hotlz and his recruiting efforts but it sounds like this kid might have looked like a reach given the fact that nobody else offered him.

We have a lot of people floating around that are more plugged into local recruits than I am.  My question is, was there outrage on this board (or any USF board for that matter) when this kid did not get an offer?

I think the answer to that question is more than likely "no" and furthermore, the USF recruiting boards reaction if he did commit would be "WHO?".  

You pretty much nailed it. It's all hindsight and people wanting to take shots at Holtz because he sucked here. Lynch was an unknown for everyone and some people probably would've given Holtz crap for taking him.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

You've done it now.

O:-)  

You pretty much nailed it. It's all hindsight and people wanting to take shots at Holtz because he sucked here. Lynch was an unknown for everyone and some people probably would've given Holtz crap for taking him.

For some it's not that he didn't take him as much as it was how the situation was handled at the end of the camp. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

For some it's not that he didn't take him as much as it was how the situation was handled at the end of the camp. 

Fair enough (and I can't believe I am defending Holtz) but the staff evaluated him and did not want to extend an offer.  That is going to suck for him even if they sat him down and bought him an ice cream cone to break the news or simply walked away.

It sucks for the kid but I am sure it happens dozens of times at every camp across the country.  

He evidently used it as motivation and that is a sign of character.  

Fair enough (and I can't believe I am defending Holtz) but the staff evaluated him and did not want to extend an offer.  That is going to suck for him even if they sat him down and bought him an ice cream cone to break the news or simply walked away.

It sucks for the kid but I am sure it happens dozens of times at every camp across the country.  

He evidently used it as motivation and that is a sign of character.  

Walking away from that situation is the worst thing you can do and is honestly a bit cowardly. Nobody said anything about ice cream trucks and puppy dogs but there are plenty of ways that could've been handled instead of running away from it. It's just another example of how Holtz just didn't understand the recruiting game when he arrived at USF. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Silly that the offense has fallen apart after the four receivers left?  Not even a little bit.  

Silly to discount four NFL caliber receivers on the UCF roster for three years.

Geesh, dude, really?  You're arguing a different point.  Here's what you said that is silly (and I'm being polite by not say SAF):

"Bortles was not the catalyst for UCF, he was just along for the ride."

Yes, he has excellent receivers, and NO ONE is discounting them or their impact.  But to say Bortles was along for the ride is just, well...SAF. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Walking away from that situation is the worst thing you can do and is honestly a bit cowardly. Nobody said anything about ice cream trucks and puppy dogs but there are plenty of ways that could've been handled instead of running away from it. It's just another example of how Holtz just didn't understand the recruiting game when he arrived at USF. 

I'd be very surprised if this exchange happened 100% exactly like his dad is telling it it. Much like how Chase Litton went on and on about how the current coaching staff screwed him. Or Brion Carnes before him. High School kids seem to see things a bit differently than they actually are. But, in the absence of ever getting to hear the other side of the story, Lynch's version gets to be the official account of his recruiting and how USF blew it.

• Upvote 1