• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs. S. Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The problem with using South Florida is that I see those words in context to other things than just our university. In today's acronym world USF is quick, simple, and "relatively" unique (I know there's is San Fran and a trucking company with those letters but you rarely hear from either).

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636
  • Days Won:  0

USF taken by University of San Francisco?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Somewhat related, I always find it funny that UT.edu got pounced on before Texas could take it.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/teams

http://espn.go.com/college-football/teams

As some have already mentioned, this has to be the universities choice.  But just look at the other teams that have a "direction" in their name.  Hint - it is not good company to be associated with.  I think our advertising/administration is really missing the boat here.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Actually, the University has sought since the Big East move to be referred to in the media as USF. ESPN has chosen to call us South Florida despite multiple iterations by the school of their preference. I imagine the school gave up after years of trying to convince that idiot network based in Orlando to refer to us as USF.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

To OP: I'd lay money on USF.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

I couldn't disagree more, i much rather be referred to as South Florida than USF,  obviously South Florida doesn't fit on the TV screen so they have no choice but to put S. Florida.  A lot of times on the bottom line it does say South Florida, when the box score appears it shows South Florida, this is definitely the way it should be.  

I would have to imagine the administration kinds of sorta decides though i imagine ESPN has some say, anything the conference puts out unfortunately they label us as USF.   

Our school name is South Florida, it looks better sounds better & hopefully continues to be that way nationally…..

Do you think USC wants to be called Southern California and the networks are just sticking it to them?  Do you not believe in the directional school perception?    

In this situation i do not believe you can compare 2 programs,  at this point it doesn't effect USC they have a brand identity established,  identity is still something we are working on, and i believe it is much easier to identify with us as South Florida.  I also don't believe we should be using our shield logo anywhere, the "U" is what should all always be used.  the same thing needs to be ingrained in peoples heads, time after time, year after year that is the only way they will get it.  Most schools don't identify with initials and majority that do have been around for hundreds of years.  

Just as you can say about Southern Cal,  i can say North Carolina doesn't brand UNC and South Carolina certainly doesn't brand USC…..

http://www.usf.edu/      .....enough said !

• Content Count:  980

Actually, the University has sought since the Big East move to be referred to in the media as USF. ESPN has chosen to call us South Florida despite multiple iterations by the school of their preference. I imagine the school gave up after years of trying to convince that idiot network based in Orlando to refer to us as USF.

Let's just start listing our games being covered by the  " Entertainment and Sports Programming Network"

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/teams

http://espn.go.com/college-football/teams

As some have already mentioned, this has to be the universities choice.  But just look at the other teams that have a "direction" in their name.  Hint - it is not good company to be associated with.  I think our advertising/administration is really missing the boat here.  

Agreed - Generally directional schools are looked down upon across the college football world. It should always be USF.

• Content Count:  1,011

I don't understand why anyone cares one way or the other.

I just want to win.

• Upvote 2