• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My standards have dropped, I'm not ready to ask for a number of wins or some ragtag bowl. I want a team that:

1) works hard

2) is well coached

3) is smart

4) is truly competitive, aka does the things to give themselves a chance to win, and, most importantly

5) plays like and believes they can do great things. We need to believe again.

Said more succinctly: make me want to watch the following week.

I think if they meet your expectations for 1 through 5, then the wins will be there... and from what I see and hear and read between the lines, I think we definitely have 1, 3, and 5 down... 2 and 4 we will still need to see in action.

1 - How do we do against FAMU? It's a game that everyone should expect us to win... do we blow them out because of talent? do we run a basic/vanila playbook? do we have problems with the new up-tempo in real game situations?

>> I think USF wins easily - but there will be a few hiccups in the up-tempo style -- meaning more false start penalties than we want to see.

2 - How do we handle difficulty against FSU? Florida State is a team that will turn every mistake USF makes into a major advantage. Turnovers leading to short fields will be converted to points. Too many 3-and-outs will be hard on our defense. USF will need to be able to handle a game that will be hard on our emotions... this will be a game where we can truly see how the coaches do -- both in the initial game plan, but also in making adjustments during the game.

>> In years passed, USF would really game plan for a game like FSU during camp -- and I think the coaches will do this again. Focusing a lot of energy on preparing to play a team like FSU -- the best team on our schedule. It doesn't translate into a win, but I think USF keeps FSU at bay for the first half... perhaps being tied at halftime... before FSU wins by 10-14 points.

3 - How do we rebound at Maryland? After what we all expect will be a loss - possibly a big loss - against the Seminoles, how does USF turn around and play the next week? Do we struggle early to gain confidence / does the team turn into a 'woe is us' mode? USF should be able to play with Maryland from a talent perspective -- it will all be about confidence, attitude, and the gameplan.

>> I think this game will be the one where everything finally clicks. The up-tempo offense, the swarming Bull Shark defense, with great special teams... and USF manages to surprise everyone with a win here.

4 - How do we open against Memphis? With a short week, and playing one of the best teams in the conference (predicted to win the West by the media)... USF has struggled with games like this for many years now. It will really be on the coaches to either repair the shattered confidence from a two straight losses... or contain the enthusiasm and focus with a win the week before.

>> I think if USF comes into this game 2-1 and the loss to FSU isn't a blowout, the Bulls will have the swagger we want to see and the pride will return for all of us. If USF is 1-2 and the losses to FSU and Maryland are bigger, then we are in for a long season. Like I said before, I BULLieve we will be seeing the swagger back.

I hope you're right! But I've BULLIeved the hype for years now. I hope we don't go into the Memphis game 0-3. I have a 95% belief we will be 1-2. A 50-50% belief we will be 2-1 and a 10% belief we will be 3-0

Yeah... I didn't believe it as much the past four years - I was more "wishing and hoping" than actually believing.... I am 99.99999% sure we will be 1-2... 66.66666% sure we will be 2-1... and 20% sure we will be 3-0.  FSU is not as good as last year... and USF may be itching to prove themselves - USF has nothing to lose by going for broke, so the pressure to win that game will be all on FSU.  (Notice I still think FSU will win, just providing a reason why my % for 3-0 is not 0%).

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

You know, I posted while traveling that I was watching on my iPad the 2008 USF v Kansas game.  It does not appear to be available any longer on iTunes, but that USF defense was swarming, nasty and hard-hitting.  The same type defense you'll remember vs FSU and earlier against WVU.  Playing with that fire.  We need that.  Of course, all the little b******** complained about penalties back then and we entered the age of hugs in the Skippy/Doug/Judy era.

We need to get back to playing like the old days.  The way we played then, compared to the last 5 is night and day.  I don't think the team was splintered just because of the firing of Leavitt, I think some of it had to do with the demeanor of the team.  There were some that played balls out and others that guarded their little **********.

Please, please, please restore the pride.  Play exceptionally.  Give it more than you thought you could.  Make it another story to be told.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I cant say that I wasnt excited about Holtz but quickly figured out he was in over his head...still undecided about CWT. There are some definitely some positives but as mama said this is the year I think we see if he has what it takes which means to me 0.500.

Exceptions have to be adjusted but this might be the first year in a while I think some things are gonna fall in place, so I'm with Jim here.

I think you all are a little butt hurt which its to be expected but I am trying to rise above the pain and take a glimpse in as an outsider. It was interesting to read Oleary's take. He thought CWT was going be ok and had some talent and said they wanted to fire him early on. I would have too if I was a UCF fan...

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

You know, I posted while traveling that I was watching on my iPad the 2008 USF v Kansas game. It does not appear to be available any longer on iTunes, but that USF defense was swarming, nasty and hard-hitting. The same type defense you'll remember vs FSU and earlier against WVU. Playing with that fire. We need that. Of course, all the little b******** complained about penalties back then and we entered the age of hugs in the Skippy/Doug/Judy era.

We need to get back to playing like the old days. The way we played then, compared to the last 5 is night and day. I don't think the team was splintered just because of the firing of Leavitt, I think some of it had to do with the demeanor of the team. There were some that played balls out and others that guarded their little **********.

Please, please, please restore the pride. Play exceptionally. Give it more than you thought you could. Make it another story to be told.

It'd also be nice to have a D with NFL draft picks on all 3 levels.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Especially "3 star" or less guys.  :)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,997
  • Days Won:  12

Honestly we could win a measly 7 games this season but if we win the way we used to win with grothe and daniels, we will be fine. USF must win but in a big city it must also have an exciting product. Need energy, passion, conviction. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Honestly we could win a measly 7 games this season but if we win the way we used to win with grothe and daniels, we will be fine. USF must win but in a big city it must also have an exciting product. Need energy, passion, conviction. 

I'm wondering how did BJ and Matt win?   What makes the way the won better than just winning because they did things differently than each other.  Each had different strengths and while Matt consistently won, BJ didn't (no fault of his own as it is a team game)... but after 2010 when we beat Clemson, BJ only won a total of 7 games his last 2 years.  Not to burst anyone's bubble.... but lets not rewrite things.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

I love my bulls but Im expecting another losing season. Im excited over watching football but the past 4 seasons have been awful and painful to watch. Hope Im wrong!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I'm excited because for the first time in many years we have a mobile qb that looks to be good.

The days of Floyd, Eveld, White...are over I've seen statues with more moves.

How Flowers plays so will the team..if Flowers has a breakout season and stays healthy this team will win 6 plus games mark it down.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I'm ready. This is the first year that I really have zero expectations. I'm just going to enjoy the game. I have no control over the game, not going to let it control my emotions this year. Cant wait. ...

+1 This is where I'm at as well.