• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2016 OT Grayson Stover 6'6" 300lbs Hudson FL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

55 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Very much so.  I was on a cruise this week and when I turned on my phone the first text I saw was from his sister saying that the family discussed it and he decided to stay closer to home. The USF offer never came in.  If they were to offer last second he would almost assuredly switch,  but things looking good at this point.  

Assume you mean UF. Still, the big boys can't take everyone, so if we get the tweeners or fringe players, and they perform, that's awesome.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

4 hours ago, JupiterBull said:

Assume you mean UF. Still, the big boys can't take everyone, so if we get the tweeners or fringe players, and they perform, that's awesome.

Yes, I did mean UF....my auto-correct has been properly trained to change UF to USF! 

As a follow up, the UF offer definitely never came. The other school he was seriously considering was Indiana. As a big OL, he really wanted to play in the Big Ten and showcase his abilities there, where OLs get drafted in the first 3 rounds quite regularly. My friend says that he is 99.9% a Bull and it would take a dramatic change in circumstances to change his commitment at this point. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Not arguing, but if he's draft material, he'll get drafted without playing in the Big 10. I give you Ali Marpet as an example.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

If you can play, the NFL will find you.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I'm not saying that his mindset was correct, just sharing what his personal thought process was in making the decision. The allure in playing in the Big Ten, among numerous other potential pro-OL definitely played a factor in his thought process. It's likely a case of perception versus reality, but, at the end of the day, it seems USF's relentless pursuit paid off. When I first spoke to him, he wasn't seriously considering USF, so I think the recruiting efforts of the coaching staff and our on-field performance this season paid dividends. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

4 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'm not saying that his mindset was correct, just sharing what his personal thought process was in making the decision. The allure in playing in the Big Ten, among numerous other potential pro-OL definitely played a factor in his thought process. It's likely a case of perception versus reality, but, at the end of the day, it seems USF's relentless pursuit paid off. When I first spoke to him, he wasn't seriously considering USF, so I think the recruiting efforts of the coaching staff and our on-field performance this season paid dividends. 

The reality is that it's the kid's mindset, so it's correct for what he wants...and lines up with his goals.  You're all right, really...better NFL odds by going to the bigger schools (assuming you can earn PT), but if you have the talent, the NFL will find you.  Looks at guys like Walter Payton & Jerry Rice.  Some are late bloomers, too, and aren't gems in HS maybe (or are just overlooked, given the thousands of HS kids playing, it happens).

Hope he stays.  We've had a few OL in the NL, but clearly not the same as many Big 10 schools.  But be a beast at a school like USF, and it's likely easier to stand out (especially with a stable of good backs...you each make each other look better if you play well).

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

If you can play the NFL will find you. Just reminds me of that Ben Roethlisberger fellow. He went to Miami of Ohio. Someone gave him a shot. :icon_drink:

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

12 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

If you can play the NFL will find you. Just reminds me of that Ben Roethlisberger fellow. He went to Miami of Ohio. Someone gave him a shot. :icon_drink:

My coach in HS told me the same thing when I was looking for a school. It was baseball, but the message was the same. If you can play, they'll find you. Things have changed since the 1960s.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Not really. Still have Bag-Men, Flesh Peddlers and Syndicates. Same stuff, different era. It's just easier to make a deposit/purchase now and easier for someone who knows where to look to find it.

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

Not really. Still have Bag-Men, Flesh Peddlers and Syndicates. Same stuff, different era. It's just easier to make a deposit/purchase now and easier for someone who knows where to look to find it.

But the message is still the same. There aren't many people who can play pro sports getting passed over because they picked the wrong school. The combine is proof that production and exposure doesn't mean everything when guys that are combine superstars getting drafted. If you're strong, quick, and smart, they're going to find you. You might not get drafted quite as high (arguably), but we've had first round picks which means going somewhere else doesn't mean USF is bad choice if you're pro material.