• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men's BBall: Talent, talent, talent...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Sat in the Box next to Coach O at the Women's Game Monday, He and two others ( one his brother I believe or asst coach). They were into game, cheering ect .. stood whole time . Nice support.

He sees what a winner will do to the Dome . He knows if he can ( which he will I believe) start winning , the Dome will fill up for Both Men and Women on a regular basis. We could be a BB FISRT school with good football ( bowl team and occasional Conf Champ) like UConn, and Cincy. ( both went to BCS bowls and play good football most years and have NCAA BB tourney teams consistently.

Would put us in Upper echelon of the conference. look at Cincy football over last 7-10 years ( a lot of 8 plus wins season)

With that said coach O basically recreated the team completely has the connections to be very good ( UK) , NY recruiting, Overseas ( since he coaches national team). ( Women have found huge success overseas as well).

I see us getting NIT bid this upcoming year minimum. Also don't be surprised if We give UK a good game next year in Dec ( he knows them well and beat them with his Dominican Team this year). Will put us in the spot light immediately early in season.

We will win about 17- 20 Games I think, give or take a few on either side.

In two more years we will be picked to win AAC preseason and we will make the Big Dance

Book it now folks. Get ur tickets so you wont be left out watching on TV, Cant replicate the crowd on TV. ( Women's game gave me Goosebumps and was rocking)

(1) We'll always be a football first school. This state doesn't have the wealth of basketball talent, nor the fan interest. UConn and Cincy both sit in areas that produce some of the best basketball talent in the country.

(2) Slow down on the NIT.

10 players on the basketball ESPN top 100 from 2015 are from Florida.

Yes and no.

A few of those guys are from out of state but came here to play at non-FHSAA schools like Monteverde Academy. In the end Florida lacks a deep amount of talent which is why our programs (beside Florida) struggle to build. FSU, Miami, USF...we've all seen our days, but never consistently.

Florida is a different beast that aggressively spent on facilities, recruiting, and has one of the best coaches in the game. Even then, a good portion of their talent has come from out of state. (4 of starting 5 of champ teams was out of state)

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Doesn't seem to be bothering Jose much - he'll go wherever he has to, to get the talent he wants...

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I think we could do very well to have a team of role players. It would be a much quicker way to win, versus going the way of five superstar starters on the floor. Back in the day, Dobras and Company, they had roles and they played as a team.

If you recruit talent and they don't mesh, you get what we had when Seth coached at USF, street ball.

I'd love for us to get some foreign players who can score from the outside. And then what about a mad rebounder?

For me, I feel like we are starting men's bball from the ground up. I'm hopeful.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

8 role players won't get you many wins.

College basketball requires good coaching, 2 stars, and 6 role players. Sometimes 1 star is enough, but it makes it harder.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Sat in the Box next to Coach O at the Women's Game Monday,  He and  two others ( one his brother I believe or asst coach).  They were into game, cheering ect .. stood whole time . Nice support. 

Both are assistants, Oliver Antigua and Sergio Rouco, but only one is his brother. I liked that they were there supporting the women's team too. This seems to be something that is occurring more frequently under the Harlan regime. I'm not sure if this is by design (being volun-told to support), or if the vibe around athletics now is much more conducive to the coaches really actively supporting each other.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,568
  • Days Won:  423

Sat in the Box next to Coach O at the Women's Game Monday,  He and  two others ( one his brother I believe or asst coach).  They were into game, cheering ect .. stood whole time . Nice support. 

Both are assistants, Oliver Antigua and Sergio Rouco, but only one is his brother. I liked that they were there supporting the women's team too. This seems to be something that is occurring more frequently under the Harlan regime. I'm not sure if this is by design (being volun-told to support), or if the vibe around athletics now is much more conducive to the coaches really actively supporting each other.

Don't think they had to be told ... This was the biggest sports event ever held on campus and most realized it:

The men’s basketball team and football teams should take notes.

USF football coach Willie Taggart did it one better. He wrote a letter to Courtney Williams and had someone leave it in her locker.

“He just said how much he loved seeing me play, how much he liked our team,†Williams said. “He said him and all his players were coming to the game, that it was mandatory. They needed to see this.â€

USF softball coach Ken Eriksen had his team at the Sun Dome, too.

“Any coach at this school who didn’t have their team here tonight is irresponsible,†Eriksen said after Monday’s game.

A rare good column by Marty

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

The basketball team is quietly assembling some talent.  Smith our new JUCO signee is a former 4 star, Peters a 4 star, Santos also.  He's bringing in a lot of athletic ability and shooting.  Long guys.  Next will be Outlaw who's another long guy at 6'5 210 pound SG/SF.  Smith is a 6'4 combo guard.  Peters 6'3 point guard who can shoot lights out.  Guerrero is who I'm looking to to make a big jump.  I mean Da Silva is another 6'5 uber athletic guy who can really shoot.  You look at the offer lists for a lot of these guys and what we have... I like what Coach Antigua is building.  Holston, Bo, Morrillo, etc... Stan's problem was he was never able to build a complete team top to bottom.  It appears Antigua is trying to do that.  Even without Perry next season (not sure what will become of his medical condition) we should be a really good team.  I saw improvement towards the end of the season.  I enjoyed watching the team and style of play.... 

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Are you saying thete is a chance?

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

The basketball team is quietly assembling some talent.  Smith our new JUCO signee is a former 4 star, Peters a 4 star, Santos also.  He's bringing in a lot of athletic ability and shooting.  Long guys.  Next will be Outlaw who's another long guy at 6'5 210 pound SG/SF.  Smith is a 6'4 combo guard.  Peters 6'3 point guard who can shoot lights out.  Guerrero is who I'm looking to to make a big jump.  I mean Da Silva is another 6'5 uber athletic guy who can really shoot.  You look at the offer lists for a lot of these guys and what we have... I like what Coach Antigua is building.  Holston, Bo, Morrillo, etc... Stan's problem was he was never able to build a complete team top to bottom.  It appears Antigua is trying to do that.  Even without Perry next season (not sure what will become of his medical condition) we should be a really good team.  I saw improvement towards the end of the season.  I enjoyed watching the team and style of play.... 

I don't doubt Peter's talent for one second but is he really that good of a shooter? Honest question because I have no idea, but basing it off his freshman stats at Maryland where he shot 40% from the field, was 1/9 from 3, and shot 64% from the line it seems like either he isnt that great of a shooter or just freshman jitters maybe?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159

I remember reading he played with an injured shoulder his freshman year and it affected his shooting. I acually think he had surgery on it.