• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2015 Spring Practice Reports

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  470
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for all this for sure.  

I just watched the Bullscast clip.  I'm a couple of years removed from Florida, so maybe its due to the separation.  But our coaches have such southern draw and pace to their accents. 

Definite off-season type observation!

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Are the practices open today?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Are the practices open today?

USF Football SPRING PRACTICE SCHEDULE

WEEK 1

Practice 1 : Monday, Feb. 23 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

Practice 2 : Wednesday, Feb. 25 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

Practice 3 : Friday, Feb. 27 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

Practice 4 : Saturday, Feb. 28 • 2:30-5:00 p.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

OFF March 1-8 – USF SPRING BREAK

WEEK 2

Practice 5 : Monday, March 9 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

Practice 6 : Wednesday, March 11 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

Practice 7 : Friday, March 13 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

Practice 8 : Saturday, March 14 • 2:30-5:00 p.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

WEEK 3

Practice 9 : Monday, March 16 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

Practice 10 : Wednesday, March 18 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex – Open To Public

Practice 11 : Friday, March 20 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

Practice 12 : Saturday, March 21 • 11:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m. •

LAKELAND, Fla. – Bryant Stadium - Open To Public

WEEK 4

Practice 13 : Tuesday, March 24 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

Practice 14 : Thursday, March 26 • 9-11 a.m. • Morsani Complex - Open To Public

PRO DAY - Thursday, March 26 • 1 p.m. • Morsani Complex – MEDIA ACCESS

SPRING GAME (practice 15) : Saturday, March 28 • 4:00 p.m. • Corbett Stadium – FREE

They are all open to the public.  Not sure I'm going, might be more of a family beach day for me.

Immediately after USF's two-hour, turnover-prone scrimmage Saturday, all three scholarship quarterbacks spoke to reporters. The collective offensive effort, in terms of Saturday and the whole spring to date, were addressed. Here are some excerpts.

What were your thoughts on the collective offensive effort in the scrimmage (the defense had at least four interceptions)?
Mike White: "Collectively it's a new offense and obviously we're going through our growing pains, but I thought our effort was there, I thought our fight was there and I thought our will to get better was there. Obviously it's not what you want, but then again, that's why this is spring practice No. 7 or 8."

Steven Bench: "Not very good. Obviously we turned the ball over too much, maybe trying to go too fast. We've got to be quick but not in a hurry, and we were just kind of off and on. Not very consistent and that's on us as players and we've got to get that corrected. And that's on me as a quarterback to get everybody lined up to where they're supposed to be and run the offense. ... We're gonna get it right."

On the day's very first possession, the offense went 65 yards in 10 plays. What was the key?
Quinton Flowers: "First thing on my mind was like Coach (Willie Taggart) said, not always the big plays, just the best plays. Checking down to your guys that you've got in the backfield: Marlon Mack, (Darius) Tice...D'Ernest Johnson. Those are some good guys coming out of the backfield, so it's not always about the big plays, just getting it down to the guys down there."

How has the adjustment been for the quarterbacks in this new (spread, no-huddle) offense?
MW: "Obviously there's new stuff to learn but it's fun. It's kind of like we get to take on a whole new identity like, 'This is our offense.' We get to run with it, we get to start together from Square One and we go out there, we fight, we practice, we learn every day, we succeed every day. ... I think it has been a real good growing thing for us and it's kind of helping us come together as a team."

SB: "We're not doing a lot of new stuff, we're just not huddling. That helps a lot. ... I know I've been here for two seasons, Mike's been here for two seasons, Quinton's been here for one. So we've seen the plays before. Obviously we've got a new defense now and we're going fast, but it's been a good transition simply because the thing we're doing different is the tempo, not the plays."

What are some keys to success for a quarterback in this offense?
MW: "We have a lot of quick-hitting screens, and if you're able to get the ball in our playmakers' hands, we do have a lot of those. If you can get the ball to Rodney Adams and A.J. Legree and Stanley Clerveaux and our stampede of backs back there...it might be a 1-yard throw but in the stats they break for 15 and it looks good for you, so it kind of goes both ways."

QF: "As a quarterback, you've got to be able to pre-snap read. You can't just go out there and think you've got it when you don't, so you always have to pre-snap read. And you have to know that you and your guys are on the same page because in the spread offense, you could probably have some guys running the bubble and the other guy running the read, so you have to have everybody on the same page."

Because of the heightened tempo, is there more of a learning curve for the offensive line?
MW: "Yeah, it is. They're kind of getting a feel for each other. We're switching positions around here and there. You've got Brynjar (Gudmundsson) who's coming back (from ankle surgery), and then we have Thor (Jozwiak) also who's out (shoulder surgery), so we really don't have a feel for what our starting line is, but people like Clavion Nelson, Jeremi Hall, Dominique Threatt, Mak Djulbegovic, all are coming along great and it's good to see."

Quinton, your mobility and field awareness never have been questioned, but people have asked whether you have the arm to play at the major Division I level. What do you say to that?
QF: "Yes, I have the arm; I know I have the arm. It's not always about making the big plays. Those small plays can be the big plays for you, so just to hear people saying my arm's not big, hey, I can't do nothing about that but do the plays my coach assigns and just keep playing."

[Last modified: Monday, March 16, 2015 11:14am]

Twitter

Joey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls Mar 15

Will post full @USFFootball practice report tonight. Taggart none too pleased with turnovers...at all.

Taggart on @csidefootball DE alum Mike Love: "Every day, Mike is doing something to get his name called...for a good reason."

USF Football â€@USFFootball Mar 15

Soph Kicker Emilio Nadelman was 100% today, most from 40 or so, on the Bulls' smaller Arena League goal post. #USF #GoBulls

RB D'Ernest Johnson (sprained MCL) did not practice, but @CoachTaggart says fellow RB Darius Tice has been spring MVP so far.

. @CoachTaggart pointed to Mike Love, Deadrin Senat & Darius Tice - "The MVP of the spring so far" as a few standouts through 2 weeks.
4 retweets 8 favorites

Stephen Nicholas delivers "wise words" to the team #NFLBulls

The defense wished Coach Allen happy birthday with an ice bath http://ow.ly/i/91cwa

Scrimmage over. Defense wins day IMO. Flowers' opening drive, Nadelman were offensive high spots. OL (minus Thor) has issues
0 retweets 3 favorites

USF Football â€@USFFootball Mar 14

Bulls D-Line really playing well, DT James Hamilton gets penetration and a TFL as the team practices goal line

DB Jalen Spencer with INT & returns it 80 yards for TD as DC Tom Allen runs to celebrate with him in end zone. Bulls D with lots of juice

Joey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls Mar 14

4th INT of day by my count, this one by Jalen Spencer (White throw)

TE Tye Turner with a great third down catch from White as offense moves into red zone

Defense holds again, Nadelman good from 48 yards. The sophomore kicker having a heck of a day.

Nadelman 2-for-2 on FGs today (39, 37)

Nice play from RS freshman DB Mazzi Wilkins to break up a first down pass. Nadelman converts from 40 again.

Jamie Byrd with a big hit as helmets go flying.

Tice tackled in end zone for safety on 1st down from 4. Looked like LeGrande Harley got in there first. #USF

Bulls Defensive line coming on strong as they force a safety as offense works on coming out from deep in its own end

ey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls Mar 14

DE Mike Love of @csidefootball fame with couple of apparent sacks (QBs in red jerseys).

On day's opening drive, Flowers was 4-for-5, 55 yards. Drive capped by @Marlon_Mack2 1-yd TD

. @CoachTaggart huddles up the QBs during a slight break in the scrimmage

Then, @PlantFootball alum Mazzi Wilkins picks off a White deep ball #USF
0 retweets 3 favorites

White finds Evan Wilson for 15 yards on 4th-and-8 to 11. Two plays later, high shotgun snap puts ball at 42. Then, false start

White hits Wilson to convert a nice 4th & 8, then breaks the pocket for a 10-yard run to the one

Another pick for Robbins, this one near end zone on tipped pass. Ended very promising Flowers-led drive #USF

Devin Abraham with a nice interception in the endzone as Bulls’ D starts to stiffen.

And @DAbraham20 picks Flowers on deep throw over middle on 3rd-and-10
2 retweets 7 favorites

3rd possession ends with Nadelman 37-yd FG. Tice turned short Bench pass into 32-yd gain

Bulls defense holds. Nadelman hits the field goal from about 40. P
0 retweets 3 favorites

Bench hits Tice over the middle, who makes a nice catch and then shakes free for a 30-yard gain

Bench picked by Lamar Robbins on deep ball on 2nd possession
0 retweets 3 favorites

. @CoachTaggart calling the offense.

Flowers leads 10-play, 65-yard TD drive on 1st scrimmage possession. Highlight: 21-yard pass to Adams on 3rd-and-21

Great scramble and first down throw from Flowers as he moves offense into red zone. Mack scores to cap 65-yard drive

Lots of Bulls fans surrounding the practice field as scrimmage gets underway on a beautiful day #BayMade

oey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls Mar 14

Junior Day here at @USFFootball. Ton of kids out here...and that's just Pinellas

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

Is it just me or do our linebackers...Sanchez and Harris look small? I think back to when we had barrington, Moffit, lattimore, other guys they were all big guys

Day small but day play purdy good. Got some bigger guys on the roster we'll see if they can outplay Auggie or not.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Bullock doesn't look small. But the D setup so far seems to be more about speed than size for our LBs.

Auggie has pretty good instincts for the ball, but he plays from behind too often. Hopefully with the time on the field, he'll get better there.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Bullock doesn't look small. But the D setup so far seems to be more about speed than size for our LBs.

Auggie has pretty good instincts for the ball, but he plays from behind too often. Hopefully with the time on the field, he'll get better there.

I hope Sanchez has improved his speed from last season.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Anybody stepping up at WR and Oline? If we can get a few guys to really improve there it will make whoever plays QB's job a hell of a lot easier since those positions look pretty weak now.