• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jobs open? Let's speculate on coaching hires

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,990
  • Days Won:  12

Program will be fine. Maybe the best move would be to hire a great OC or DC as a head coach in waiting.

But is that unrealistic? If the whole world knew the HC was a lame duck and the AD closed that door for someone else, who is working for said HC? And then what if we actually pull off a 7,8 win season?

I don't know. I believe in Harlan to manage this well.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I have a feeling Randy Shannon will be our next DC.   As a head coach he was a failure, but he was a great defensive coordiator at Miami.  Currently he is the LB coach at Arkansas, but he may be willing to take the USF job, with the hope that if the Bulls defense can become good, then he can get a top level DC job later.    Coordinators for top schools these days are making as much, if not more then Taggart.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I have a feeling Randy Shannon will be our next DC.   As a head coach he was a failure, but he was a great defensive coordiator at Miami.  Currently he is the LB coach at Arkansas, but he may be willing to take the USF job, with the hope that if the Bulls defense can become good, then he can get a top level DC job later.    Coordinators for top schools these days are making as much, if not more then Taggart.

And he knows Taggart or Harbaugh how? That has been the hiring criteria so far.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Program will be fine. Maybe the best move would be to hire a great OC or DC as a head coach in waiting.

But is that unrealistic? If the whole world knew the HC was a lame duck and the AD closed that door for someone else, who is working for said HC? And then what if we actually pull off a 7,8 win season?

It's dumb to hire a HC in waiting for a 37 year old coach.  What happens if Taggart turns it around?  A HCIW would be out the door in a red hot minute at the first opportunity. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,077
  • Days Won:  39

Makes things more interesting...and kind of awkward?

@joshnewberg247: I'm being told that if things don't get turned around at USF next season, look for one of these hires at OC or DC to possibly get that job.

Wait I predicted this same exact thing and I got lolz back. I could see Willie getting the hook if he doesn't change his approach next year.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,077
  • Days Won:  39

I have a feeling Randy Shannon will be our next DC. As a head coach he was a failure, but he was a great defensive coordiator at Miami. Currently he is the LB coach at Arkansas, but he may be willing to take the USF job, with the hope that if the Bulls defense can become good, then he can get a top level DC job later. Coordinators for top schools these days are making as much, if not more then Taggart.

Randy could do the DC job, help recruiting, and could certainly step in as interim head coach if needed.

I have a feeling that Willie is only here because of money tied up in Woollard contracts. I think Harlan will want to infuse some credibility somehow NEXT year.

Edited by Rocky Style

It's dumb to hire a HC in waiting for a 37 year old coach.  What happens if Taggart turns it around?  A HCIW would be out the door in a red hot minute at the first opportunity. 

Then it's a win / win for USF.   We need to stop looking at the fact that if a coach succeeds here he will leave, and start looking at the fact that if they pet plucked by a bigger school, it means that coach did great things here, and put the team in great position for the future.  Just look at Oregon.  Kelly left, but the groundwork was already in place for Helfrich to continue the success.   Another good example is Boise State.   The team had a down year after he left, but the program is still the top G5 program in the country.

Having Randy Shannon for a year or two may be what it takes to get our defense back on track, and from there it will be much easier to find a quality candidate to take over that position.

And he knows Taggart or Harbaugh how? That has been the hiring criteria so far.

That has been true so far, but after the firing of both of his coordinators after his meeting with Harlan, it's clear that there will be a change in philosophy on the field.   You don't fire a coach that is running a pro-style offense, and a (IMO) prevent defense, for the same types of coaches.

Taggart really needs to get away from the Harbaugh coaching tree anyways.   He is trying to do his best Harbaugh impression, when what he really needs to do is be Willie Taggart.   He's not coaching and approaching things the same way that he did at WKU.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Then it's a win / win for USF.   We need to stop looking at the fact that if a coach succeeds here he will leave, and start looking at the fact that if they pet plucked by a bigger school, it means that coach did great things here, and put the team in great position for the future.  Just look at Oregon.  Kelly left, but the groundwork was already in place for Helfrich to continue the success.   Another good example is Boise State.   The team had a down year after he left, but the program is still the top G5 program in the country.

Having Randy Shannon for a year or two may be what it takes to get our defense back on track, and from there it will be much easier to find a quality candidate to take over that position.

I'm down with Shannon as a DC.  It's a pipe dream, but I'd be down with it.

I'm not down with naming a head coach in waiting for our current coach, who is one of the youngest coaches in FBS. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,489
  • Days Won:  13

IF, true, then Harlan is managing CWT out. Cheaper if he leaves that way

I honestly think this is what's really happening.

As stubborn as everyone says he is do you really think he will quit?

Everybody has a breaking point and if Harlan is making these hires and it's true that the next OC or Dc could be a coach in waiting it's possible he pulls the rip cord and follows Harbaugh to his next gig.

After typing that, I agree he's too stubborn to leave on his own....

The Head coach controls hiring and firing of his staff its in his contract.