• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Solid analysis of White's last two games below, with pretty pictures to support.

@VoodooFiveSBN: USF Needs to Keep Mike White in the Pocket http://t.co/35MjHRWXnA

Very nice analysis.  This is a perfect example of Taggart not, to this point, making adjustments to his personell and instead trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.  These are the types of adjustments that quality coaches make fairly quickly and aren't still attempting to do midway through the season.  Taggart what he believes is a perfect system and is trying to force players that aren't capable into running that system instead of making tweaks to be successful until he has the right players.  As demonstrated here, it isn't all that difficult to do both.  

I'm thinking a guy getting paid over $1mil per year ought to be able to build for the future while working with current personnel to be at least moderately successful in the interim.

And what do you measure "moderately successful" by?

I don't know exactly but I can tell you what isn't.  Over the last seven or eight years we haven't been lower than the 60s in recruiting rankings.  I think even the worst coaches ought to be able to take that group and rank higher than 118 out of 125 schools in total offense ypg.  

Do you think 118 is "moderately successful"?  And this is year two.  

I don't think asking for a ranking in the 80s is too much to ask.  Some of it is players, but at some point the coaches have to be held accountable.  No one ever hesitated to hold Holtz accountable, but there seems to be a group on here that think Taggart walks on water despite strong evidence to the contrary.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,600
  • Days Won:  424

Solid analysis of White's last two games below, with pretty pictures to support.

@VoodooFiveSBN: USF Needs to Keep Mike White in the Pocket http://t.co/35MjHRWXnA

Very nice analysis.  This is a perfect example of Taggart not, to this point, making adjustments to his personell and instead trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.  These are the types of adjustments that quality coaches make fairly quickly and aren't still attempting to do midway through the season.  Taggart what he believes is a perfect system and is trying to force players that aren't capable into running that system instead of making tweaks to be successful until he has the right players.  As demonstrated here, it isn't all that difficult to do both.  

I'm thinking a guy getting paid over $1mil per year ought to be able to build for the future while working with current personnel to be at least moderately successful in the interim.

And what do you measure "moderately successful" by?

I don't know exactly but I can tell you what isn't.  Over the last seven or eight years we haven't been lower than the 60s in recruiting rankings.  I think even the worst coaches ought to be able to take that group and rank higher than 118 out of 125 schools in total offense ypg.  

Do you think 118 is "moderately successful"?  And this is year two.  

I don't think asking for a ranking in the 80s is too much to ask.  Some of it is players, but at some point the coaches have to be held accountable.  No one ever hesitated to hold Holtz accountable, but there seems to be a group on here that think Taggart walks on water despite strong evidence to the contrary.

Carry on, then .... To me, "successful" is measured in wins and losses, sometimes hands, and it's utterly ridiculous to measure that on anything but a year to year basis, so go ahead with your "stat" talk.

It is "utterly ridiculous" to measure an offense on it's ability to gain yards?

Did you really just write that?

So let's talk about wins and losses then.  Do you consider 4-13 to be "moderately successful"?

No, you just did ... You read that wrong. I was looking at the overall, bigger picture when it comes to "successful" while you're apparently going about it from a stats angle, which is fine ... Just means our portion of this little argument is at an end.

So let's talk about wins and losses then.  Do you consider 4-13 to be "moderately successful"?

NOW you've entered the "utterly ridiculous" zone ... Talk to me at the end of the year.

No, you just did ... You read that wrong. I was looking at the overall, bigger picture when it comes to "successful" while you're apparently going about it from a stats angle, which is fine ... Just means our portion of this little argument is at an end.

Now you are reading it wrong.  I'm not looking at ONLY the stats angle.  But from any angle I don't see how anyone can believe this offense is even close to being mediocre yet.  I'm tired of hearing the excuses about Taggart needing "his players".  The players are good enough to be better than we have shown.  But that requires some flexibility on the part of the coaches.  There were a couple of calls in the Wisconsin game that make me think maybe they are starting to figure that out.  But so far it is much too little, much too late.  It shouldn't take this long to figure out what your players are good at.

Oh, and while stats aren't the only angle at some point you have to realize they are the only tangible facts to work with and they need to be part of the evaluation equation if you want to evaluate fairly.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,967
  • Days Won:  12

Not interested in what Mike has done in the past, but his current trajectory and where he can take us, and I have a lot of faith in those two things. 

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Anyone have an update on his non throwing arm?