• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Weakness of the Oline

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Last year Bench got the start and reps against the #102 passing defense in the country. He went 13-27 (48%) for 189 yds 1 TD - 1 int. His lone TD came with .02 on the clock in a game we lost 49-21.

Which is better than White has done all year ... not counting the one pass he threw for a completion in the MD game.

Bench was 38% in the MD game.  Still better than White has done all year.   

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Thank you Tags, for telling us the obvious.  

Next he will say that QB play needs to improve and the defense needs to tackle better.

He said the OL is not doing it's part and no position there is safe ... what the hell more do you want?

He told us last year that no position is ever safe, that you need to earn it every week - in practice and during games.

He just said today that the OLine positions are no longer safe.  In other words, he's been letting them coast.  I've never seen a more inconsistent coach.  He never follows through on what he says.

What I the hell want is for him to play the guys that are making plays, not just play his favorites.  It is blindingly obvious that has not been the case on offense.

So who on the OL, in your opinion, is making plays but not playing because of the laughable reason that he's playing his "favorites" instead? ... and also explain how exactly they can be making plays if they're not playing.

That would be exactly my point, wouldn't it?

No, it wouldn't. "What I the hell want is for him to play the guys that are making plays." That makes no sense .... You didn't answer my question about who he should be playing instead of his "favorites"?

I think Shadow means that we've seen that White is apparently not up to the task, yet his job appears to be safe.  Bench showed some flashes against Maryland ... if White has been this ineffective, why doesn't Taggart #dosomething and give Bench 1st team reps and a start.  He hasn't had that chance as of yet, while White continues to be a fount of inefficiency.

When you look at the QB situation, it really does appear that there is some talk out of both sides of the mouth, if Taggart is saying "no position is safe."  I'd at least give him props for honesty if he came out and said no position is safe EXCEPT White at QB. 

Not just Bench/White.  That is one example.  But clearly the same situation is happening at other positions.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Last year Bench got the start and reps against the #102 passing defense in the country. He went 13-27 (48%) for 189 yds 1 TD - 1 int. His lone TD came with .02 on the clock in a game we lost 49-21.

Which is better than White has done all year ... not counting the one pass he threw for a completion in the MD game.

White has been rated better in both games this year than Bench was against Maryland despite what you think.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

White has been rated better in both games this year than Bench was against Maryland despite what you think.

I'm sure it's because he has the one TD pass.  Bench ran for a TD.  

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,699
  • Days Won:  2

First it was completion percentage and when that logic went to hell last game, now you are on rating. Play both and go with whoever is hot in that game. Both should get reps as neither have separated themselves.

I'm sure it's because he has the one TD pass.  Bench ran for a TD.  

his qb rating was higher in western carolina game (as bad as he played) than Bench's in Maryland.

yes he did have a nice TD run that allowed him to have 9 yards on 5 carries.

First it was completion percentage and when that logic went to hell last game, now you are on rating. Play both and go with whoever is hot in that game. Both should get reps as neither have separated themselves.

they had a competition for the job already. this isn't preseason. you go with who won the job until the other guy does something to take it. Bench had a chance against Maryland. He did so well that Taggart felt White with a broken left hand was the better option.

I wouldn't say hot hand as much as slightly less cold hand.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Darrell Williams should know way be on the field as a starter. On Mike White. Let put his last performance all together. It wasn't great, but a whole lot better than his first game this season. A pocket QB WILL NOT be effective when there's pressure in his face all day. Tom Brady vs. Dolphins defense anyone? And how many drops did he get from his WR's and TE's? The offense can be corrected. The defense, not so much. I really hate the "Bend, Don't Break" philosophy. If NCST wasn't so bad, the score would've been worse.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Hoping to see some new faces on the O Line if they cannot get it done. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

It makes me laugh that because some fans believe the guy on the bench is better than the guy playing, that the coach must be sticking with his favorites.

I've spent more than enough time around teams and coaches to know that most coaches play favorites.  As do most managers or team leaders.  It's human nature.  It takes conscious effort to avoid this trap.

Good grief, if you really had spent that much time around teams and coaches you would know that the coach's "favorites" are the ones he feels gives the team the best chance to win ... or are we talking about spending time similar to smazza's "experience" coaching Pop Warner?