• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart had Plans to Use Flowers First 2 Games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

These types of things just make the coaching staff sound dumb.  And similar things even happen in the NFL.  I would guess they wanted a situation where the game was in control to introduce Flowers and in both games the offense wasn't running smoothly so they didn't go that direction.

If you are only going to use him if things are going well, why use him at all?  That tells me it was either a gimmick or a way to make Flowers happy by getting him on the field.  E

I really see no explanation which indicates that Flowers would actually add something to the game plan.  So if it isn't something that could help, why bother?  Aren't we trying to win games?

Why can't it be as simple as wanting to get his redshirt QB into the game when there's absolutely no pressure?  He hasn't been able to do that with ANY QB yet.

Because adversity is the forge Taggart uses to mold champions!

^^^^ best answer yet!!!!

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,080
  • Days Won:  39

I wouldn't be mad at all if redshirts are burned. If he thinks we don't have enough depth... Also, he has shown an ability to recruit more players to redshirt.

Save for next year doesn't apply if there is no next year. I think they need to turn some kind of corner to get the buzz back. I don't know what that corner is though :P

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  2

"Wulff said Flowers has been learning the playbook well. Different system than he ran in high school."

"Wulff said "there wasn't a pressed need" to play Quinton first 2 weeks, but the time is coming to decide if he will play & plan is he will."

"Regarding QB Quinton Flowers, #USF OC Paul Wulff says "the plan is he's going to play" ... Trying to find ways to get him in moving forward."

Edited by Lmshaffe

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

These types of things just make the coaching staff sound dumb.  And similar things even happen in the NFL.  I would guess they wanted a situation where the game was in control to introduce Flowers and in both games the offense wasn't running smoothly so they didn't go that direction.

If you are only going to use him if things are going well, why use him at all?  That tells me it was either a gimmick or a way to make Flowers happy by getting him on the field.  E

I really see no explanation which indicates that Flowers would actually add something to the game plan.  So if it isn't something that could help, why bother?  Aren't we trying to win games?

Why can't it be as simple as wanting to get his redshirt QB into the game when there's absolutely no pressure?  He hasn't been able to do that with ANY QB yet.

Because it would be idiotic to use a true freshman if he isn't capable of helping the team.  Why burn a RS unnessarily?  Either he is ready to contibute or he isn't.  If he isn't ready, why use him?  If he is ready, he should have been in there.

Maybe it's part of the "getting ready" process. 

Again, our QBs have never been inserted into a learn-on-the-job situation where we didn't have our backs to the wall.  If you can get him in there, let him run a couple of drives and then you can critique him better and build off of things he does, and it won't cost you the game to let him do that. 

It would be the definition of bringing him along slowly. 

Many learn best by doing.  If he didn't do well, he wouldn't have to feel like he let the team down.  Sometimes I wonder if that's part of the problem White and Bench may be going through, they've been thrown into the fire and some of their issues may be mental now. 

Sure.  But it seems he isn't really ready or he would be in there.  Why use him a few plays here and there?  That was a disaster for all four of our QBs last year.  He isn't ready, so how is a few dozen plays over the course of the year going to help?

Let him learn the playbook and maybe get better with footwork or whatever.  Then next year they can play him two plays a game, twenty plays a game or seventy five.  Why waste a year just giving him little snippets that won't really make a big difference in the long run.

If you are giving him the job and taking your lumps while he learns, that is one thing.  This seems like the worst of all ideas.  Give him a bit of playing time but not enough to be useful and only at times when the other teams backups are playing.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Taggart better not Holtz flowers.

He's in the mold of BJ Daniels. Short but fantastic athlete.

I hope we take advantage of his strengths.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I really don't get this preoccupation with redshirting.

Players have 4 years of eligibility. That's it.

They should also graduate in 4 years if they can.

Almost by definition, they should play as true freshmen.

Put the players on the field, every game, who give you the best chance of victory.

Everything else is secondary (including setting personal records)

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

I think that thought with red-shirting, especially at this age, is both for reasons of physical and mental maturity plus the need to grasp the system.  Of course, some are ahead of the curve and really don't benefit as much.  We'll have to wait and see how good the coaching staff's evaluation is.

I'm not so concerned about redshirting as I am about putting someone in the game that isn't ready.  BJ Daniels never recovered from being rushed into action.  Why do we want to do that to any of these players.  QB isn't a position that you can put a guy in for two or three plays and then let him sit out.  Generally speaking, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

And don't tell me I should trust the coaches.  At this point, the defensive coaches have proven to me they know what they are doing.  What they have done with the defense in the time they have been here is very impressive.  On the offensive side of the ball, I've seen nothing except one fiasco after another.  It has been over a year now, and I've seen absolutely nothing that makes me think Taggart and Co know how to run an offense and how to develop players on that side of the ball.  I keep hoping it will change with the next game, but it hasn't.  I'd rather Flowers sit than get screwed up the way they have screwed up White and Bench and the rest of the players on offense.