• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DL Coach Mathies arrested DUI

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

TExpress 17 - If you drink and then drive there is the chance you will kill or severely impact someone else's life in a negative way; making that decision is what makes you a bad person.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

TExpress 17 - If you drink and then drive there is the chance you will kill or severely impact someone else's life in a negative way; making that decision is what makes you a bad person.

If you drive, there is still a chance you could have that wreck. From 11 pm to 12 am 65% of wrecks involve a drunk driver(by definition). That means 33% are DD. What % on the road are DD? Might be 33% as well.  Does that mean there is no increased risk? How many people are killed by sober drivers?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

A mistake is making a wrong turn or getting off at the wrong exit, forgetting your wallet at home, using a blue pen where a black pen is required.

Hate when criminal acts are referred to as "mistakes."

Not to get too technical but mistake perfectly describes what he did. Some mistakes just have bigger consequesnces than others ...

mis·take

noun

1. an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mistake

SNL_1350_09_Debbie_Downer.png

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

And ... even coming from someone who has been stopped twice by police after drinking and driving (never issued a DUI though), it's not like people of driving age have never heard this before ... it's drilled into your brain constantly through commercials, warning labels, lots of different ways about the danger of drinking and driving.

This is why I don't consider drinking and driving a mistake.  If you are old enough to drink and old enough to drive, it has been beaten into your brow constantly not to do the latter after the former.  No one poured all that alcohol down your throat but you.  You are responsible for the choices you make and if you choose to get behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking, you are being selfish and don't care about others' well-being.  Period.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Just curious, and your the only one who knows the truth...

Do you ALWAYS drive the speed limit, or less?

Do you ALWAYS come to a COMPLETE STOP at EVERY stop sign?

Do you ALWAYS turn your headlights on when it's raining?

I don't.

BUT, I don't speed after drinking at 3AM...

Edited by BDYZR

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

And ... even coming from someone who has been stopped twice by police after drinking and driving (never issued a DUI though), it's not like people of driving age have never heard this before ... it's drilled into your brain constantly through commercials, warning labels, lots of different ways about the danger of drinking and driving.

This is why I don't consider drinking and driving a mistake.  If you are old enough to drink and old enough to drive, it has been beaten into your brow constantly not to do the latter after the former.  No one poured all that alcohol down your throat but you.  You are responsible for the choices you make and if you choose to get behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking, you are being selfish and don't care about others' well-being.  Period.

Put simply, a mistake is an error in judgment ... How can you not consider DUI a "mistake"??

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

This pissing match is getting really boring.

Do we know any more information yet?

• Upvote 1

Put simply, a mistake is an error in judgment ... How can you not consider DUI a "mistake"??

It should be on the forefront of anyone's mind of anyone who takes a drop of alcohol and plans to travel by automobile elsewhere soon after, for them to make arrangements other than them driving. 

No one is excused from this.  Not with the statistics out there of people killed or maimed by drunk drivers. 

It goes beyond mistake because no one is not aware of the potential consequences, at any time.  It's called "foolishness." 

This pissing match is getting really boring.

Do we know any more information yet?

This is a very tame "pissing match."  And as a LEO, I would expect you to chime in somewhere on an issue like this (if you haven't already, I haven't gone through all five pages in a while).

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Nope, no one's perfect, but if it's arrogance or snobbery that I don't want some over-the-limit fool out there waving a gun around or juggling chainsaws near my family/friends, let me in the country club. A ton+ car is worse.

I don't advocate firing the guy, but I think anyone that would consider driving before they start drinking should get a heavy dose of education and deterrence/shame. Just can't do it.

[edit] I didn't see your last posts, GA, consider this a +1

Edited by raptorcj