• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DL Coach Mathies arrested DUI

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I don't like weighing in on local LEO issues, especially since I was never on a DUI unit. I'm a Fed, so we don't get involved in small stuff like this...but there are a few points I believe stand true for the circumstance.

1. You shouldn't drink and drive if you believe you may be over the legal limit.

2. Cops are LOOKING for DUI's when it's late evening/early morning like that. ESPEICALLY in Hyde Park and other bar scenes.

4. Some LEOs are jerks, some are great. It's plausible that he could have encountered either scenario.

3. He never blew, so nobody knows how intoxicated he was.

4. What was stated in the report, is a cut and paste DUI write up. I wouldn't look to hard into that.

5. I personally believe the GREATEST danger on the road currently is TEXTING, not drinking.

He is set up to beat the case by not blowing. If he has a decent attorney, he should beat it or get it knocked down to reckless driving.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

TExpress 17 - If you drink and then drive there is the chance you will kill or severely impact someone else's life in a negative way; making that decision is what makes you a bad person.

If you drive, there is still a chance you could have that wreck. From 11 pm to 12 am 65% of wrecks involve a drunk driver(by definition). That means 33% are DD. What % on the road are DD? Might be 33% as well.  Does that mean there is no increased risk? How many people are killed by sober drivers?

I do not understand your premise or purported facts (true or false) based on my opinion; red herring.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

He is set up to beat the case by not blowing. If he has a decent attorney, he should beat it or get it knocked down to reckless driving.

...and potentially save his job. In my business, you lose your security clearances for DUI which basically neuters you and forces you to look for other jobs that don't require one. It rightly (IMO) puts into question your ability to make sound judgments to safeguard secrets. There are several alchy's working with clearances, most are just smart/careful enough to keep it off the road.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Merrill Barber Bridge!  I rode over that the day it opened!

Ok, back to topic...

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Coach Mathies should be able to find an attorney who can get charge dismissed or at least get charge reduced to careless driving or something  less than DUI.  Anything can happen in court though.  It'd be my luck with a DUI charge to be in court with my defense attorney a few minutes after someone informs a hot-headed hearing judge (like the judge in Brevard county last week that got in fist fight with attorney in hall behind bench) that my defense attorney is cheating with the judge's wife.

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  0

I've never seen a statistic of how many traffic related accidents are due to alcohol and how many aren't.  And, I've also never seen a statistic that shows how many accidents would've happened whether or not a driver was drunk.  MADD will tell you that ever accident that has ever happened was due to alcohol.  But, we do need to be realistic.  And, in being realistic, how are we putting a football coach on a higher pedestal and require higher moral conduct than other professions that are not fired due to dui?  Lawmakers, congressmen, judges, TEACHERS of children, daycare workers, etc, etc, all can have a dui and not lose their job, but a sports coach can't?  Come on.   Is he driving the bus or flying the plane? They sell beer at the stadium and probably 20% or more of those that buy a beer in the stadium drive home after drinking it.  And you know they do.

I'm not saying that drinking and driving is ok,but Dui is the most commonly committed misdemeanor, but not everyone gets caught.  but, when they do, oh boy, lets give them a life sentence and never let them work again.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I've never seen a statistic of how many traffic related accidents are due to alcohol and how many aren't.  And, I've also never seen a statistic that shows how many accidents would've happened whether or not a driver was drunk.  MADD will tell you that ever accident that has ever happened was due to alcohol.  But, we do need to be realistic.  And, in being realistic, how are we putting a football coach on a higher pedestal and require higher moral conduct than other professions that are not fired due to dui?  Lawmakers, congressmen, judges, TEACHERS of children, daycare workers, etc, etc, all can have a dui and not lose their job, but a sports coach can't?  Come on.   Is he driving the bus or flying the plane? They sell beer at the stadium and probably 20% or more of those that buy a beer in the stadium drive home after drinking it.  And you know they do.

I'm not saying that drinking and driving is ok,but Dui is the most commonly committed misdemeanor, but not everyone gets caught.  but, when they do, oh boy, lets give them a life sentence and never let them work again.

This is a good point. Most offences need to fall off your record after some period of years. It's just plain wrong to continue to hold past mistakes against people who learned from the mistake and have overcome the challenge.