• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our football program and the lack of strength.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Clowney only did 23

Thats because Skip once worked at South Carolina.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Clowney only did 23

Thats because Skip once worked at South Carolina.

Turns out, that for a speed rushing DE, that's not that bad.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  109
  • Days Won:  0

Other significant weight gainers: LB Nigel Harris (+25), Hassan Childs (+12), Mike McFarland (+16), Lamar Robbins (+13), Mike White (+14)

Mike White up 14 lbs. Steven Bench's twitter comments don't sound positive. “It’s not really a chip on my shoulder, it’s just that feeling that, man, maybe nobody wants yaâ€

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Funny how everyone puts a lot of stock in the bench press. I benched 225 lbs 15-times during our Pro Day in 2001. It was a pretty impressive showing for a wide receiver from what I recall (I think maybe two guys beat me - Scott McCready and Alvin Salter). Now that I recall, it matched the number of plays I had all season. Now DeAndrew Rubin for instance - I know that season he didn't come close to my 15-reps, but man, he could play like no other receiver that has ever come through USF. It's not necessarily a useless metric, nor does it define who's talented (DRube) and who isn't talented (Me). I have some pretty long monkey arms - it's a lot of work moving 225 lbs. Most of our OT have long arms as well. I laugh when I see a short dude busting through 225-lbs like it's nobody's business. They are normally going half the distance when compared to us long arm folks. At least it gives them something to hang there head on though - I couldn't imagine being under 6'0" tall.   

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Bench was a walk-on at PSU. Yes, you're not wanted unless you become a break out player as a walk-on. Deal with the obscurity and accept it. Don't cry to the masses. Make yourself better than the starters in front of you or know your role and do everything you can do to make your teammates better.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

Bench was a walk-on at PSU. Yes, you're not wanted unless you become a break out player as a walk-on. Deal with the obscurity and accept it. Don't cry to the masses. Make yourself better than the starters in front of you or know your role and do everything you can do to make your teammates better.

I think that's wrong ...

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Bench was a late scholly add at PSU when they were scrambling after the scandal broke. But he was in fact a scholly QB.

Saw another one of his tweets while they were interviewing White after practice. Something along the lines of them all interviewing the wrong guy.

He has since deleted the tweet.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  109
  • Days Won:  0

Bench was a late scholly add at PSU when they were scrambling after the scandal broke. But he was in fact a scholly QB.

Saw another one of his tweets while they were interviewing White after practice. Something along the lines of them all interviewing the wrong guy.

He has since deleted the tweet.

Saw that too. Bench appears to be out of the picture already. I think Mike White has the job on lock but we definitely owe Flowers the chance to compete for it. It seems like White could be poised for a huge season. Our team is looking much better going into this season than it was going into last season.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

The median of all linemen invited to the combine is 24.  If you throw out the ones that didn't lift, the median is 25.  The average of those that lifted is 25.3 with a standard deviation of 5.3.

So, I would say that every lineman should be able to do at least 20 reps.

A standard deviation of 5.3 and an average of 25.3 would mean the top 32% of linemen can do at least 30.6 reps. Right now strength is our weakness. The team is making positive strides but Wulff came in and immediately noticed that this was not a strong team. I would like to see the USF players invited to the combine to be at the upper echelon in terms of strength rather than the bottom, especially if we are trying to build a "Bully". I would still consider 20 reps unacceptable for any linemen. 17 and 18 reps means they were not hitting the weightroom like they should.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

32% of linemen invited to the combine that lifted and you want all of our linemen to be able to do it?  I agree we're not as strong as we need to be.