• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our football program and the lack of strength.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I'm watching the NFL combine and notice that Aaron Lynch and Tevin Mims put up 225 in the same group of the WR, RB's at 17,18. That is really awful. Dri Archer, the little RB (5'8 173) put up 225lb 20 times. 20 FREAKIN TIMES!!!!! This program will not go far unless these young men take this strengthening program very seriously. Coach Taggart said after last years spring game that what he would like to see his players come back for fall practice stronger. Well we've seen what happen this past season. Then today I read from The Times a comment made by our new offensive coordinator/line coach Paul Wulff, "I think the biggest thing I've noticed right now is we're not strong enough. We're just physically not strong enough as a group."  I'm hoping for the group that Coach Taggart bringing in has a better work ethic.

Edited by bulldozier1

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

that's a shame. strength training, once proper technique is learned, is a matter of discipline and dedication. it's not a complicated technical skill that has to be learned, practiced then executed in game situations. it is 100% personal commitment.

u can have the best facilities and best strength trainers but if the personal commitment isn't there u get... the 2013 USF Bulls football team.

the coach's job is to instill that ethic and that culture. Skip couldn't and didn't. he was too busy being their mother.

i believe Taggart has the character to change that and make players out of these athletes. the strength of his leadership ability was on display with his AAC tops recruiting class. if he can convince these kids to come here over places like FSU, Georgia, etc. he should be able to get them to buy into the new USF culture.

Bravo, Trujillo you called it exactly as you saw it (and hence exactly as it was and is) and for that I deem you 1 reputation point (wish I could give you more).  Kudo's on your acknowledgement of the failings of the past coach on having players ready to play.  I can only hope that CWT gets this corrected ASAP or we'll be in for more of same in 2014.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

The type of team CWT want is to be the BULLY on the field. You can't be a weak BULLY. He wants his team to line up and punch you in the mouth, over and over. I don't know if they have the HEART of a CJL Bulls team. Those teams was like Bruce Lee, small and can pack a punch with a lot of heart. I'm hoping CWT is building a Mike Tyson type of team. A team that is powerful, explosive, and will knock you out. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Coaches clearly see it, so you know they're motivating them. It's in the players' hands (literally) to get pumping or be an embarrassment...again.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Well, they're on their way there with the 52 of 62 players setting personal records. That's a step forward. We're also hearing that the work ethic has improved drastically. That's a bigger step forward. They're going to have to work all off season to be in the type of shape needed to be a top end team. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

that's a shame. strength training, once proper technique is learned, is a matter of discipline and dedication. it's not a complicated technical skill that has to be learned, practiced then executed in game situations. it is 100% personal commitment.

u can have the best facilities and best strength trainers but if the personal commitment isn't there u get... the 2013 USF Bulls football team.

the coach's job is to instill that ethic and that culture. Skip couldn't and didn't. he was too busy being their mother.

i believe Taggart has the character to change that and make players out of these athletes. the strength of his leadership ability was on display with his AAC tops recruiting class. if he can convince these kids to come here over places like FSU, Georgia, etc. he should be able to get them to buy into the new USF culture.

Bravo, Trujillo you called it exactly as you saw it (and hence exactly as it was and is) and for that I deem you 1 reputation point (wish I could give you more).  Kudo's on your acknowledgement of the failings of the past coach on having players ready to play.  I can only hope that CWT gets this corrected ASAP or we'll be in for more of same in 2014.

So it was like CWT inherited a Vette shell with a Spark engine .... ?

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Best strength coach in USF history, IMO, left for training the U.S.Special forces, then went to Tenn, then the Bengals in 2013 and is now at Eastern Mich. They need to get him back.

http://www.mlive.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/01/eastern_michigan_hires_former_2.html

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,684
  • Days Won:  8

Bench press is overrated for sports performance. I don't even understand why it's in the combine. I think front squat or overhead press would be the best. It should be a lift that requires balance, not one where the player is lying on their back.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I always thought bench press was for stamina.