• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our football program and the lack of strength.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

32% of linemen invited to the combine that lifted and you want all of our linemen to be able to do it?  I agree we're not as strong as we need to be.

Sounds like a reasonable objective to me. Might take us a couple of years to get there, but I'm on board with having all our guys in the top third of combine peers

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

32% of linemen invited to the combine that lifted and you want all of our linemen to be able to do it?  I agree we're not as strong as we need to be.

Sounds like a reasonable objective to me. Might take us a couple of years to get there, but I'm on board with having all our guys in the top third of combine peers

While it's a great goal, I don't think any team has all of their linemen that can do 30+.  BTW, the actually percentage is 20%, 18 out of 90.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

I may be hard to please but yup! It's really not that unfathomable, especially for players that are 260+ lbs. Gotta get their minds right first!

While it's a great goal, I don't think any team has all of their linemen that can do 30+.  BTW, the actually percentage is 20%, 18 out of 90.

I was going by your standard deviation calculation. In a normal bell curve, the average plus one standard deviation (25.3 + 5.3) you would expect 32% to be above 30.6 and 68% to be below that mark. Plus, did every one of those 90 do the bench press?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

I believe Wulff strength comments were based off his review of last years team. All indications are that they have made significant progress in that area.

My biggest concern was that may sacrifice quickness. I asked Joey knight if he noticed that from practice here's his reply

@TBTimes_Bulls: @SY800000 Not at all, from what I saw Day One. When you know where to run and what to do, you naturally do things faster.

I was going by your standard deviation calculation. In a normal bell curve, the average plus one standard deviation (25.3 + 5.3) you would expect 32% to be above 30.6 and 68% to be below that mark. Plus, did every one of those 90 do the bench press?

There were 106 there 90 lifted.

Looks like the curve might be a little skewed if the SD number is correct. Out of those 90 players, only 4 did worse than Lynch and only 1 did worse than Mims. Pretty sad! We need to be on the first page of the leaderboard and not the last!

Looks like the curve might be a little skewed if the SD number is correct. Out of those 90 players, only 4 did worse than Lynch and only 1 did worse than Mims. Pretty sad! We need to be on the first page of the leaderboard and not the last!

No doubt Sims and Lynch are lacking.  I just think the goal of having all of our line do more than 30 is unrealistic.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Threatt at 326?

That's a big boy right there.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The median of all linemen invited to the combine is 24.  If you throw out the ones that didn't lift, the median is 25.  The average of those that lifted is 25.3 with a standard deviation of 5.3.

So, I would say that every lineman should be able to do at least 20 reps.

The median of all linemen invited to the combine is 24.  If you throw out the ones that didn't lift, the median is 25.  The average of those that lifted is 25.3 with a standard deviation of 5.3.

So, I would say that every lineman should be able to do at least 20 reps.

You can't say every lineman. The guys at the combine are either seniors or juniors, or even 5 year players and are above the average college player in age and experience and are good enough that they have a shot at the NFL. On top of that, many have gone to professional trainers and worked out especially for the Combine. Its apples to oranges, different stages of their football career and higher level of talent than average.