• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our football program and the lack of strength.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

The median of all linemen invited to the combine is 24.  If you throw out the ones that didn't lift, the median is 25.  The average of those that lifted is 25.3 with a standard deviation of 5.3.

So, I would say that every lineman should be able to do at least 20 reps.

The median of all linemen invited to the combine is 24.  If you throw out the ones that didn't lift, the median is 25.  The average of those that lifted is 25.3 with a standard deviation of 5.3.

You can't say every lineman. The guys at the combine are either seniors or juniors, or even 5 year players and are above the average college player in age and experience and are good enough that they have a shot at the NFL. On top of that, many have gone to professional trainers and worked out especially for the Combine. Its apples to oranges, different stages of their football career and higher level of talent than average.

We were talking about the starters, at least I was. There is going to be a developmental period and not every high school lineman is going to have a 400 lb bench press. But after 2-3 years, it is not out of the question to expect a 400 lb bench press (usually around 28-29 reps of 225) from your strength players, especially offensive line.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

our  team lacked strength,endurance and stamina

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

You can't say every lineman. The guys at the combine are either seniors or juniors, or even 5 year players and are above the average college player in age and experience and are good enough that they have a shot at the NFL. On top of that, many have gone to professional trainers and worked out especially for the Combine. Its apples to oranges, different stages of their football career and higher level of talent than average.

We were talking about the starters, at least I was. There is going to be a developmental period and not every high school lineman is going to have a 400 lb bench press. But after 2-3 years, it is not out of the question to expect a 400 lb bench press (usually around 28-29 reps of 225) from your strength players, especially offensive line.

All I am saying is you can't pull a number based on the cream of linemen working toward going to the next level and try and stick it on younger, less experienced players who haven't trained for that specific event.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

All I am saying is you can't pull a number based on the cream of linemen working toward going to the next level and try and stick it on younger, less experienced players who haven't trained for that specific event.

I was also referring to starters, which probably wasn't clear, and noted it might take time to get there, which should have been.

Still don't see a problem with establishing at as the goal.

After all,

A man's reach should exceed his grasp -- or what's a heaven for?

Robert Browning

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Clowney only did 23

bench pressing for tall guys is different.  I've seen the compact guys almost bounce it when repping.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

A standard deviation of 5.3 and an average of 25.3 would mean the top 32% of linemen can do at least 30.6 reps. Right now strength is our weakness. The team is making positive strides but Wulff came in and immediately noticed that this was not a strong team. I would like to see the USF players invited to the combine to be at the upper echelon in terms of strength rather than the bottom, especially if we are trying to build a "Bully". I would still consider 20 reps unacceptable for any linemen. 17 and 18 reps means they were not hitting the weightroom like they should.

Talk about an oxymoron for the ages.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Clowney only did 23

bench pressing for tall guys is different.  I've seen the compact guys almost bounce it when repping.

Don't want no short people round heah.

The median of all linemen invited to the combine is 24. If you throw out the ones that didn't lift, the median is 25. The average of those that lifted is 25.3 with a standard deviation of 5.3.

A standard deviation of 5.3 and an average of 25.3 would mean the top 32% of linemen can do at least 30.6 reps. Right now strength is our weakness. The team is making positive strides but Wulff came in and immediately noticed that this was not a strong team. I would like to see the USF players invited to the combine to be at the upper echelon in terms of strength rather than the bottom, especially if we are trying to build a "Bully". I would still consider 20 reps unacceptable for any linemen. 17 and 18 reps means they were not hitting the weightroom like they should.

Talk about an oxymoron for the ages.

Said it on purpose. I kinda liked it.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Clowney only did 23

Don't want no short people round heah.

I'd take back #5 in a heartbeat.

941229.jpg

874873.jpg

Edited by slick1ru2

Clowney only did 23

bench pressing for tall guys is different. I've seen the compact guys almost bounce it when repping.

Trying not to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm 6'4". Over the past 2.5 years, I went from barely repping 225 twice to doing it 33 times. If I can do it so can they.

• Upvote 1