• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Qb coach Grothe?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I'm not necessarily sure I'd call Sheridan a horrible hire as much as I'd say the roster didn't really set him up for success.

He worked for Taggart in the same roll at WKU for two years.  If he was that bad, I don't think Taggart would have brought him.  

Walt Wells also filled the same role for Taggart at WKU, I think for three years.

Wells doesn't have the same level of scape goat as SHeridan.  Sure the scheme change and lack of BJ Daniels type mobility at QB probably hurt the o-line's production, but that group was identified (possibly wrongly) as the strength of the offense preseason (by more than just fans).

And everyone in the world expected QB issues.  So wouldn't the failure of the OLine be a bigger surprise and failure than the failure at QB?

I think that's what he's saying, isn't he?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  95
  • Days Won:  0

Loved Grothe at QB, but come on. QB coach?

That's almost as funny as when he held a press conference to announce he was coming back for his senior year. 

Give Willie more credit. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

I personally would have no problem with Grothe as a QB coach

He is a RUTHLESS competitor, he fought, clawed and scratched for every inch USF got on offense when he was the QB. 

From the first snap till the day we ran him so hard that he got injured, he did anything and everything, UP TO sacrificing his own health and competitive future, to win games.

All of you that are saying "But he doesn't have any coaching experience....", don't you think he's at least earned a shot at the position? 

Yea, anyone of you remember when we upset Auburn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cLVBAW5Pq4

Give him a chance for God's sakes, he worked his ass of for this program and he has earned a shot. 

Unreal, you people on this forum as so pessimistic, that you don't want to give THE ALL TIME GREATEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER IN USF HISTORY a single chance at a coaching job at USF? wtf are you people serious?!!??!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jumwNy3rCZM

Give him a job, we need his passion for USF Football now more than ever

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

^^ Whoa, ease back on the throttle Mike. Most people here are very happy to have him get a GA job which may lead to a coaching job at some point. I'd be stoked to have him back helping USF football at the GA level, he would still be an awesome mentor for our guys and it doesn't hurt that he bleeds green & gold. But let's be realistic on his chances to jump right into a QB coach spot, regardless of his contributions as a player.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Needs to learn how to coach the position.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170

All the people that don't want Grothe are trying to say Willie needs more help than Grothe can provide, probably more help than anyone can provide.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  937

I think everyone agrees grothe deserves a shot just not as a position coach yet. Let him get some kind of coaching experience first. Seems were all rumbling over nothing

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Not sure on all the grumblings on Grothe... he applied for a GA spot.

I think its a great move for both Grothe and USF.  Can learn a lot under Reaves and its a great starting coaching position.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Would love to see Grothe in a GA spot. Would rather see a more experienced QB coach.

May be getting Ron Dugans (former Noles WR) to coach our WRs, and could see David Reaves as the QB coach. Wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm not necessarily sure I'd call Sheridan a horrible hire as much as I'd say the roster didn't really set him up for success.

He worked for Taggart in the same roll at WKU for two years.  If he was that bad, I don't think Taggart would have brought him.  

Walt Wells also filled the same role for Taggart at WKU, I think for three years.

Wells doesn't have the same level of scape goat as SHeridan.  Sure the scheme change and lack of BJ Daniels type mobility at QB probably hurt the o-line's production, but that group was identified (possibly wrongly) as the strength of the offense preseason (by more than just fans).

And everyone in the world expected QB issues.  So wouldn't the failure of the OLine be a bigger surprise and failure than the failure at QB?

I think that's what he's saying, isn't he?

Perhaps, I couldn't quite figure out how to interpret "same level of scapegoat".  But it's been a long week.