• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Qb coach Grothe?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

If Grothe enrolls as a grad student is he eligible to play?

No

Hopes raised then dashed

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

LOL

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The line seems short for QB coaches. Willie is probably having trouble recruiting anyone with talent because he wants to run the show on offense. Probably going to be a young buck that he tricks into the position. I am surprised he convinced a former D1 head coach and assistant on the 49ers to coach the offensive line at USF. Probably was an easy decision based on money.

It would be interesting to see the figures, but I think his role with the 49ers wasn't as a position coach but as an unspecified "Offensive Assistant".  This role would be doing things like breaking down opponents film for the game coming the next week, and any other work that the assistants don't have time to get to.  This was never a long term position for him.  These roles are typically filled by young coaches, or older coaches that get caught without a job during the offseason coaching carousel.  The job was used as a springboard to get back to a job as a position coach.  Good for us that he was able to absorb the Harbaugh philosphy and probably pick up some NFL tricks.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i dont understand why on earth anyone on here would:

a. want grothe to be hired as QB coach

b. even remotely think that him being in that position would help our football team

We just canned a horrible hire in Sheridan... former QB just out of college. We need someone who has experience mentoring and coaching up young QBs. Grothe is not that guy.

I want more blackwell GAs and less Grothe/Lanaris

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I'm not necessarily sure I'd call Sheridan a horrible hire as much as I'd say the roster didn't really set him up for success.

He worked for Taggart in the same roll at WKU for two years.  If he was that bad, I don't think Taggart would have brought him.  

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I'm not necessarily sure I'd call Sheridan a horrible hire as much as I'd say the roster didn't really set him up for success.

He worked for Taggart in the same roll at WKU for two years.  If he was that bad, I don't think Taggart would have brought him.  

I think the feeling was that he was late to the coaching carousel and didn't get the chance to find someone better suited.

I think the feeling was that he was late to the coaching carousel and didn't get the chance to find someone better suited.

That is probably a very likely scenario.  The QB play was horrendous, but I personally don't hold Sheridan entirely responsible for that.  With a below average o-line and JV quarterback talent, what coach could have done better?

Both question marks carry over into this coming season.  White looks like a college level QB, but will the o-line really be any better?

Walt Wells also filled the same role for Taggart at WKU, I think for three years.

Walt Wells also filled the same role for Taggart at WKU, I think for three years.

Wells doesn't have the same level of scape goat as SHeridan.  Sure the scheme change and lack of BJ Daniels type mobility at QB probably hurt the o-line's production, but that group was identified (possibly wrongly) as the strength of the offense preseason (by more than just fans).

Wells doesn't have the same level of scape goat as SHeridan.  Sure the scheme change and lack of BJ Daniels type mobility at QB probably hurt the o-line's production, but that group was identified (possibly wrongly) as the strength of the offense preseason (by more than just fans).

And everyone in the world expected QB issues.  So wouldn't the failure of the OLine be a bigger surprise and failure than the failure at QB?

Regardless, he brought Sheridan and Wells with him and both are now gone.  What does that tell us?