• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

When the time comes for us to find a new AD ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Agreed that Cincinnati has made good hires - but that's as much luck as it is sound management. Any college football head coach hiring is approximately a coin flip - some are more likely to succeed than others, but you can't really believe that Cincinnati is more likely to make a sound hire than any other school. It's a small sample size. It's possible to make the best hire available to you at the time and just not have it work out.

But in terms of athletics budget, Cincinnati were certainly the overachievers of the former Big East. They were the only football school in the conference to spend less per year than USF. At least, in the last few years of the league that was the case.

Not sure it's a complete coin flip. But if I could explain the hiring criteria to guarantee a football coach's success at a particular school I would not be hanging on here but swimming in my Scrooge mcduck vault of money.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Definitely not literally a coin flip. Hiring Urban Meyer at Florida, after he had had success at Utah and Bowling Green, was much more likely to succeed than hiring Zook, who I believe had no head coaching experience. But not every coaching hire can be someone with that kind of experience, of course - every coach has to have his first job sometime. But the hiring of Meyer could have very well been a flop under different circumstances. Same with Cincy. But I don't mean to totally discount the role of the AD either - Cincinnati's administration should be proud of the hiring record regarding football coaches.

They also made the apparently wise decision to let go of Joe Tresey at the right time. :(

Edited by gobulls83

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If I'm reading this thread right, Cincinatti has gotten lucky with their football hires, while Jurich has been brilliant.  This, even though Jurich once hired a dud.

The Jurich man crush is amazing.  Sure the guy is a good AD.  But the Louisville budget has been higher than all of the other non-power conference schools for a long time.  Eventually that pays off unless you are incompetent.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,622
  • Days Won:  424

We need to find another Tom Jurich.  

Considering how Louisville's athletic programs have done in recent memory, just reading the comments in this article about Charlie Strong's move to Texas - I want Tom Jurich, or a clone, to be USF's AD whenever we need to look for one.  

You do realize that the Louisville program has had a much larger budget than USF, right?  They have way more athletics donors and ESPN helped push them over the edge.  Tom Jurich isn't a magician, he did a solid job with way more resources than USF has.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sports/at-louisville-an-athletic-boom-made-for-and-by-tv.html?_r=0

Get ESPN to shower millions on USF like they did UL, and we'd be where they are.  If you read this article, you'll understand that there was never any way USF was going to the P5 before Louisville made it.

Who cares about budget?  That's not what this is about.  Pretty sure Tom Jurich has been there a while, before they became ESPN's golden team.  

Let's let someone close to the situation try and convince you ....

“If it wasn’t for ESPN, we would be a fraction of what we are today,†Tom Jurich, Louisville’s longtime athletic director,

If I'm reading this thread right, Cincinatti has gotten lucky with their football hires, while Jurich has been brilliant.  This, even though Jurich once hired a dud.

The Jurich man crush is amazing.  Sure the guy is a good AD.  But the Louisville budget has been higher than all of the other non-power conference schools for a long time.  Eventually that pays off unless you are incompetent.

The problem is, you're attributing every argument in this thread to everyone in it.

I'm the only one who has said Cincinnati has gotten lucky with their football hires - though I also said it wasn't entirely luck. I've also not said anything about Jurich other than he has a great reputation.

Here's a thought, maybe everything's not as black-and-white as you're trying to reduce it to?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Considering how Louisville's athletic programs have done in recent memory, just reading the comments in this article about Charlie Strong's move to Texas - I want Tom Jurich, or a clone, to be USF's AD whenever we need to look for one.  

You do realize that the Louisville program has had a much larger budget than USF, right?  They have way more athletics donors and ESPN helped push them over the edge.  Tom Jurich isn't a magician, he did a solid job with way more resources than USF has.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sports/at-louisville-an-athletic-boom-made-for-and-by-tv.html?_r=0

Get ESPN to shower millions on USF like they did UL, and we'd be where they are.  If you read this article, you'll understand that there was never any way USF was going to the P5 before Louisville made it.

Who cares about budget?  That's not what this is about.  Pretty sure Tom Jurich has been there a while, before they became ESPN's golden team.  

“If it wasn’t for ESPN, we would be a fraction of what we are today,†Tom Jurich, Louisville’s longtime athletic director,

I am not going to discount the effect ESPN money has had on them.  But as your quote says, he's been there a long time.  Perhaps a case can be made that they wouldn't be in a position to be the ESPN golden team without the steady hand of a good AD? 

There is a direct correlation between spending lots of money and having lots of success in sports, both at the college and professional level. How can you argue otherwise? Louisville may not be where they are without Jurich - that's debatable. What's not debatable is that they wouldn't be where they are without a budget that was by far the biggest in the Big East year after year. If they didn't have to spend all that money to put good teams out there, then why did they spend it? Louisville was outspending USF and the like by a mile before they became "ESPN's golden team."

Yes there are examples of smaller-budget schools having success for periods, but it's not sustainable. Also, when did Louisville's most successful period in football come? When they were spending more money than they ever had before.

Edited by gobulls83

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Here's a thought, maybe everything's not as black-and-white as you're trying to reduce it to?

To a shadow everything is black or white.

Edited by SANJAY
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Actually the administration at Cincy is the one knocking it out of the park on football hires:

Mark Dantonio - not great records at UC but laid groundwork for turning that program around; left for Michigan state

Brian Kelly- 2 conference titles and 3 ten win seasons; left for notre dame

Butch jones - 2 co-conference championships and a ten win season; left for Tennessee

Tommy tuberville- 9-4 his first year; he's tommy t, he'll leave eventually

And they've been incredibly cost-effective in doing so:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45efmjm/1-cincinnati-bearcats/

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I am not going to discount the effect ESPN money has had on them.  But as your quote says, he's been there a long time.  Perhaps a case can be made that they wouldn't be in a position to be the ESPN golden team without the steady hand of a good AD? 

Jurich got there in '97, which would be the same time that Louisville got involved with ESPN.  I hardly think he brought ESPN with him.