• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

When the time comes for us to find a new AD ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We need to find another Tom Jurich.  

Considering how Louisville's athletic programs have done in recent memory, just reading the comments in this article about Charlie Strong's move to Texas - I want Tom Jurich, or a clone, to be USF's AD whenever we need to look for one.  

You do realize that the Louisville program has had a much larger budget than USF, right?  They have way more athletics donors and ESPN helped push them over the edge.  Tom Jurich isn't a magician, he did a solid job with way more resources than USF has.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sports/at-louisville-an-athletic-boom-made-for-and-by-tv.html?_r=0

Get ESPN to shower millions on USF like they did UL, and we'd be where they are.  If you read this article, you'll understand that there was never any way USF was going to the P5 before Louisville made it.

Who cares about budget?  That's not what this is about.  Pretty sure Tom Jurich has been there a while, before they became ESPN's golden team.  

Let's let someone close to the situation try and convince you ....

“If it wasn’t for ESPN, we would be a fraction of what we are today,†Tom Jurich, Louisville’s longtime athletic director,

I am not going to discount the effect ESPN money has had on them.  But as your quote says, he's been there a long time.  Perhaps a case can be made that they wouldn't be in a position to be the ESPN golden team without the steady hand of a good AD? 

Jurich got there in '97, which would be the same time that Louisville got involved with ESPN.  I hardly think he brought ESPN with him.

Again, saying something I never said, nor implied ...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Considering how Louisville's athletic programs have done in recent memory, just reading the comments in this article about Charlie Strong's move to Texas - I want Tom Jurich, or a clone, to be USF's AD whenever we need to look for one.  

You do realize that the Louisville program has had a much larger budget than USF, right?  They have way more athletics donors and ESPN helped push them over the edge.  Tom Jurich isn't a magician, he did a solid job with way more resources than USF has.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sports/at-louisville-an-athletic-boom-made-for-and-by-tv.html?_r=0

Get ESPN to shower millions on USF like they did UL, and we'd be where they are.  If you read this article, you'll understand that there was never any way USF was going to the P5 before Louisville made it.

Who cares about budget?  That's not what this is about.  Pretty sure Tom Jurich has been there a while, before they became ESPN's golden team.  

“If it wasn’t for ESPN, we would be a fraction of what we are today,†Tom Jurich, Louisville’s longtime athletic director,

I am not going to discount the effect ESPN money has had on them.  But as your quote says, he's been there a long time.  Perhaps a case can be made that they wouldn't be in a position to be the ESPN golden team without the steady hand of a good AD? 

Jurich got there in '97, which would be the same time that Louisville got involved with ESPN.  I hardly think he brought ESPN with him.

The ESPN deal came in 2001 ...

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

My biggest fear is when that beautiful day comes that Doug is no longer our AD, the university will find some way to get someone exactlly like him or worse. With out luck USF will become a leader in human cloning and Judy will just order an army of Dougs to forever run the athletic department.

Attack of the Dougs

We should start contacting all athletic directors at non-football schools, sending them anonymous emails saying bad things about Tampa, or Genshaft, or anything else that might convince them that the job isn't worth taking.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The ESPN deal came in 2001 ...

True that.  The way one of the earlier paragraphs reads it kind of implied they were simultaneous.  The stadium was just finished when Jurich took over.  The plan to elevate the programs began in 1995.

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

Tom Jurich is the best AD in the country hands down in my mind.  

What Tom has accomplished is a real credit to him,†said Jeremy Foley, Jurich’s Florida counterpart. “He’s gotten the people of Louisville and fans of the Cardinals everywhere to believe they can have one of the best athletic departments in America.â€

Added Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan, “Tom’s a competitor. He doesn’t like to lose.â€

Constructing facilities has been a big component in 
Jurich’s success.

Papa John’s Stadium was nearing completion when Jurich was hired and has since been expanded by 10,000 seats to 52,000 with a $40 million academic support center at one end of the stadium is in the works.

There’s more than $100 million in other on-campus facilities that include showcase soccer, track, field hockey and softball stadiums.

Plus, the school spearheaded the fundraising for the 
$238 million downtown KFC Yum! Center on the banks of the Ohio River where sellout crowds of 22,000 routinely fill the Cardinal-themed facility for Louisville basketball.

“Those facilities are game-changers,†said Karl Schmitt, executive director of the Louisville Sports Commission. “It sets U of L apart from a lot of other universities of their size.â€

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

My point (I don't know about anyone else) is that, "the best AD in the country hands down" hired Kragthorpe and accomplished a lot with Yum! and PapaJohns money.  He shouldn't get any credit for the OCS.

Our crappy AD also oversaw the improvement to our soccer, track, baseball, softball, and basketball venues.

Jurich has made himself the face of UL athletics, as someone mentioned before, I couldn't tell you the ADs many other D1 schools.

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

However, you want to slice it.  Still the best AD in the land in my opinion.

My point (I don't know about anyone else) is that, "the best AD in the country hands down" hired Kragthorpe and accomplished a lot with Yum! and PapaJohns money.  He shouldn't get any credit for the OCS.

Our crappy AD also oversaw the improvement to our soccer, track, baseball, softball, and basketball venues.

Jurich has made himself the face of UL athletics, as someone mentioned before, I couldn't tell you the ADs many other D1 schools.

You do realize that it's not exactly like John Schnatter is a Louisville alum and donated a bunch of money to UL out of "pride for alma mater," right?  He's a grad of Ball State.

Many people on here give Woolard credit for getting some of our better facilities up and running ... it's a foolish mistake to not give Jurich credit for inking deals with Papa John's for naming rights.  KFC Yum Center appears to be more of a citywide effort to land it. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

Who got the naming rights for the Sun Dome?

Who got the naming rights for the Sun Dome?

Exactly.