• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting conversation with friends from big BCS conferences

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

So I have a friend that went to Purdue and asked about the football program and the games, etc. He said there was usually a sense of apathy over the program and that even in winning years, there was a sense that there was just no unseating Michigan and Ohio State for long-term Big Ten respect. The best they can hope for year in and year out is a big upset here and there and maybe a respectable bowl game. 

I had a similar conversation with a friend who went to Texas A&M. He had a similar review of the Big 12 in that no matter how good the Aggies were, they would never really surpass Texas and Oklahoma in terms of conference respect. 

Even though Baylor won the Big 12 and MSU won the Big Ten, can anyone really argue that they steer the ships in their conference? TCU beat Texas last year, yet at the end of the day, Texas has the $, the power, the LHN, etc. 

I just wanted to share this because in the AAC, if we are here for the long term, we have the potential to be that program - the program that commands respect no matter what. If we end up in any other conference, just be ready for the perpetual uphill battle that gets won over generations, not just a good season here and there. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

So I have a friend that went to Purdue and asked about the football program and the games, etc. He said there was usually a sense of apathy over the program and that even in winning years, there was a sense that there was just no unseating Michigan and Ohio State for long-term Big Ten respect. The best they can hope for year in and year out is a big upset here and there and maybe a respectable bowl game. 

I had a similar conversation with a friend who went to Texas A&M. He had a similar review of the Big 12 in that no matter how good the Aggies were, they would never really surpass Texas and Oklahoma in terms of conference respect. 

Even though Baylor won the Big 12 and MSU won the Big Ten, can anyone really argue that they steer the ships in their conference? TCU beat Texas last year, yet at the end of the day, Texas has the $, the power, the LHN, etc. 

I just wanted to share this because in the AAC, if we are here for the long term, we have the potential to be that program - the program that commands respect no matter what. If we end up in any other conference, just be ready for the perpetual uphill battle that gets won over generations, not just a good season here and there. 

you will see a program like west virginia disappear down a black hole. they owned the big east. went to 3 BCS bowl games. they won't sniff the top of the big 12 but once every 15 years or so after winning the big east 50%+ of the time. Texas has been dormant the last few years. now that mack brown is gone they will regain control. I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond than a little fish in a big pond.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Name the team in the MAC that controls the conference.  Go ahead and repeat for the MWC, CUSA, and Sun Belt.

The only teams that can be pulled out of that mess with any sort of reputations at all are Boise and possibly Fresno State.

So that means our realistic best case scenario is becoming the next Boise State, which all said and done is not too shabby at this point, but that's 1 school out of 60.  In the power conferences there are probably 30 or more schools with cache.  It's easier to get in that mix (30:60) than the 2-3:60 mess we're in now.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Name the team in the MAC that controls the conference.  Go ahead and repeat for the MWC, CUSA, and Sun Belt.

The only teams that can be pulled out of that mess with any sort of reputations at all are Boise and possibly Fresno State.

So that means our realistic best case scenario is becoming the next Boise State, which all said and done is not too shabby at this point, but that's 1 school out of 60.  In the power conferences there are probably 30 or more schools with cache.  It's easier to get in that mix (30:60) than the 2-3:60 mess we're in now.

Exactly. You can't name the teams that have run the other conferences because NO ONE other than that school that has owned and dominated those weak conferences cares. At this point it's the only thing we can hope for - to become that team that dominates a very weak conference year in and year out.

WVU is not going to suck every year in that conference. It'll be tough for them sure, but give them a Pat White or a Geno Smith again and they'll compete with those teams...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Ditto BullMartin.To me, it's a push for notoriety. So whatever affiliation benefits the school the most, that's where I want to be.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Central Michigan dominated the mac for nearly a decade...no one cared...it is all about winning the major conferences that the networks hype.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

You do bring a very good point. Would you rather be Purdue of the Big 10, or Boise State of the MWC?

Honestly... I'm not sure.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

no aac team will compete for a national championship ever

we are in a lower tier of competition