• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting conversation with friends from big BCS conferences

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

You do bring a very good point. Would you rather be Purdue of the Big 10, or Boise State of the MWC?

Honestly... I'm not sure.

boise state

what is next question

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Right now, ucf owns the aac

because usf allowed orlando school to get off the mat

we should have never stopped playing them

we should havekept pounding them year after year

but the most powerful man in the room got scared or he let his ego stand in the way of common sense

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

So I have a friend that went to Purdue and asked about the football program and the games, etc. He said there was usually a sense of apathy over the program and that even in winning years, there was a sense that there was just no unseating Michigan and Ohio State for long-term Big Ten respect. The best they can hope for year in and year out is a big upset here and there and maybe a respectable bowl game. 

I had a similar conversation with a friend who went to Texas A&M. He had a similar review of the Big 12 in that no matter how good the Aggies were, they would never really surpass Texas and Oklahoma in terms of conference respect. 

Even though Baylor won the Big 12 and MSU won the Big Ten, can anyone really argue that they steer the ships in their conference? TCU beat Texas last year, yet at the end of the day, Texas has the $, the power, the LHN, etc. 

I just wanted to share this because in the AAC, if we are here for the long term, we have the potential to be that program - the program that commands respect no matter what. If we end up in any other conference, just be ready for the perpetual uphill battle that gets won over generations, not just a good season here and there. 

you will see a program like west virginia disappear down a black hole. they owned the big east. went to 3 BCS bowl games. they won't sniff the top of the big 12 but once every 15 years or so after winning the big east 50%+ of the time. Texas has been dormant the last few years. now that mack brown is gone they will regain control. I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond than a little fish in a big pond.

I think I'm in agreement with you both on this. That West Virginia example is a good one, and I didn't see Syracuse nor Pitt do much in the ACC this past season.  I think USF is probably where it needs to be: in a conference where there's plenty of opportunity to be near or at the top during most years.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131

but the most powerful man in the room got scared or he let his ego stand in the way of common sense

I believe that you're talking about another missed opportunity by the USF Administration. A lot of bad business decisions have originated from those folks, and sadly, the price to pay for those bad decisions has become quite clear recently.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Go look this up:

2013 Texas A&M game viewers

2013 Texas game viewers.

With the Aggies now in the SEC and horns now on the LHN, the Aggies have probably double the exposure.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Name the team in the MAC that controls the conference.  Go ahead and repeat for the MWC, CUSA, and Sun Belt.

The only teams that can be pulled out of that mess with any sort of reputations at all are Boise and possibly Fresno State.

So that means our realistic best case scenario is becoming the next Boise State, which all said and done is not too shabby at this point, but that's 1 school out of 60.  In the power conferences there are probably 30 or more schools with cache.  It's easier to get in that mix (30:60) than the 2-3:60 mess we're in now.

Exactly. You can't name the teams that have run the other conferences because NO ONE other than that school that has owned and dominated those weak conferences cares. At this point it's the only thing we can hope for - to become that team that dominates a very weak conference year in and year out.

WVU is not going to suck every year in that conference. It'll be tough for them sure, but give them a Pat White or a Geno Smith again and they'll compete with those teams...

they had geno smith and were ranked in top 10 and barely finished .500. that was with a down OU and Texas.

they will never compete on a regular basis with those programs.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,705
  • Days Won:  424

I believe that you're talking about another missed opportunity by the USF Administration. A lot of bad business decisions have originated from those folks, and sadly, the price to pay for those bad decisions has become quite clear recently.

Not playing the Kanigits was NOT a missed opportunity. There may have been some bad decisions that we could paying for but that ain't one of them ...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

Name the team in the MAC that controls the conference.  Go ahead and repeat for the MWC, CUSA, and Sun Belt.

The only teams that can be pulled out of that mess with any sort of reputations at all are Boise and possibly Fresno State.

So that means our realistic best case scenario is becoming the next Boise State, which all said and done is not too shabby at this point, but that's 1 school out of 60.  In the power conferences there are probably 30 or more schools with cache.  It's easier to get in that mix (30:60) than the 2-3:60 mess we're in now.

Exactly. You can't name the teams that have run the other conferences because NO ONE other than that school that has owned and dominated those weak conferences cares. At this point it's the only thing we can hope for - to become that team that dominates a very weak conference year in and year out.

WVU is not going to suck every year in that conference. It'll be tough for them sure, but give them a Pat White or a Geno Smith again and they'll compete with those teams...

they had geno smith and were ranked in top 10 and barely finished .500. that was with a down OU and Texas.

they will never compete on a regular basis with those programs.

With historically bad defenses. They were scoring 60 points a game and losing. You give them the type of QB like Pat White or Geno Smith and an average defense and they will compete with those teams. I'm not saying they will run that conference or even beat them consistently. But the way you talk about them is like they're not ever going to have a chance. I just don't think that is the case.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  12

I don't know what the better option is. Maybe the p5 even at the cost of being in the shadows forever like an Illinois, Washington State, etc.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Not even remotely. Boise owns the MWC. UCF has had one good season in the AAC. They have to develope long term year over year consistency to "own" the conference.