• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FWIW, Stanford crushed Arizona State tonight.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

I like what Stanford does.  But one of the reasons they went that direction is because they knew they would have problems running with Oregon and USC.  We can be the most talented team in this conference and in fact should be always in the top tier of talent even given yearly fluctuations.

Philosophically I like what Coach Taggart wants to do.  He's an offensive coach with a defensive mentality.  We know we can field top defenses.  Many years all we needed was a competent offense who could score 20 points, pick up a couple first downs, and avoid the mistakes.  TOP, field position, turnover margin...these are concepts that could've made some of our good teams of the past even better.  

In practice you have to adjust your offense based on what you got.  This year there were a couple huge hindrances to doing that.  FIrst of all we didn't have a QB.  Even when we settled on a guy, it was still not someone who had been running this offense long nor playing at this level long.  Second thing is NO ONE was familiar with the base concepts of the offense.  We were rough in execution at every position, maybe the RB's performed okay over the whole season, but no one else.  So really, what were we going to adjust to?  Nothing was good enough.  The final and kind of unknown thing is how purposely stubborn Taggart was in an effort to "toughen" the team up and install the basic offense.  

So basically, I think we need to see what Taggart runs next year with more comfort and more talent.  I wouldn't just assume that long term we are gonna run the offense that Stanford runs or what the 49ers run, etc.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Stanford is a prestigious school in a good conference...we are usf. Not saying cwt can't polish this turd but we will never have the players Stanford has.

and we will never have to play the type of competition stanford has to with the players they get. I don't get why people don't understand this. we aren't playing oregon, usc, ucla, et .

the system works and honestly the foundation put in place by harbaugh with this system has allowed stanford to sustain their success.

He made it work somewhat at wku so it should work at usf...just don't expect it at the level of Stanford.

I mean wku would beat us now.

Well that should tell you something!

It does, it shows given time the program will be back...very frustrating watching the rebuilding.

Expect improvement next year starting with a win vs western Carolina

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I'll probably need two years. WKU went 2-10 Taggart's first year and followed it up with two 7-5 seasons. The offense requires more intelligence and precision of execution than we're accustomed to at USF. Whether it is personnel or learning curve, there seems to be many issues to address that won't be remedied overnight... especially with a team that was already playing poorly when he took it over (much like WKU).

Then again, this has all been said a million times and morons on this board refuse to let any of this seep through those thick skulls, so I'm not really sure why I'm even posting. Saying that CWT will never be Harbaugh because of this season is easily one of the dumbest arguments that I've seen on this board AND I've seen a lot of dumb comments. Poor initial seasons only reinforce the concept of his likeness to Harbaugh.

I should make this post my signature.  Great post.   

Yeah, I think you should, especially that last sentence.  Because everyone knows that Stanford's first season with Harbaugh playing PAC 12 competition was comparable to USF playing Div 1AA foes and AAC competition and his 4-8 season is comparable to Taggart's 2-10 season.  A season I might add where Stanford beat the #2 USC team.  Connecting those dots really requires a leap of faith in Taggart that borders on insanity.  Good luck getting your proper meds via ObamaCare.  ;)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Taggart is 37 years old  and in his 4th year as a head coach.

This is a point that should be brought up more often ... even though the impatient teenager portion of our fanbase don't really want to hear it. He's still growing as a head coach just like our football program is still trying to grow. He should get a minimum of three years ...

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'll probably need two years. WKU went 2-10 Taggart's first year and followed it up with two 7-5 seasons. The offense requires more intelligence and precision of execution than we're accustomed to at USF. Whether it is personnel or learning curve, there seems to be many issues to address that won't be remedied overnight... especially with a team that was already playing poorly when he took it over (much like WKU).

Then again, this has all been said a million times and morons on this board refuse to let any of this seep through those thick skulls, so I'm not really sure why I'm even posting. Saying that CWT will never be Harbaugh because of this season is easily one of the dumbest arguments that I've seen on this board AND I've seen a lot of dumb comments. Poor initial seasons only reinforce the concept of his likeness to Harbaugh.

Yeah, I think you should, especially that last sentence.  Because everyone knows that Stanford's first season with Harbaugh playing PAC 12 competition was comparable to USF playing Div 1AA foes and AAC competition and his 4-8 season is comparable to Taggart's 2-10 season.  A season I might add where Stanford beat the #2 USC team.  Connecting those dots really requires a leap of faith in Taggart that borders on insanity.  Good luck getting your proper meds via ObamaCare.  ;)

You probably think that with Taggart's Harbaugh/Stanford connections , that he should be getting Stanford caliber players, right? That would certainly explain a lot, especially your calls for CWT to be fired before the season even ended.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Taggart is 37 years old  and in his 4th year as a head coach.

This is a point that should be brought up more often ... even though the impatient teenager portion of our fanbase don't really want to hear it. He's still growing as a head coach just like our football program is still trying to grow. He should get a minimum of three years ...

They just don't have a realistic view of where our program stands. they look down their noses at our current confence mates even though almost all of them have better histories. I agree that year 3 is the one to look to.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,701

I guess we are just waiting on our Andrew Luck type qb in this years recruiting class.......

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141

I guess we are just waiting on our Andrew Luck type qb in this years recruiting class.......

Biggest concern is putting together an OL that won't get pancaked ...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Biggest concern is putting together an OL that won't get pancaked ...

agreed. RB was more crucial to stanford's offense.

we need a very good defense and running game and a game manager for QB.

many programs have proven the formula for success is good defense/running game.

here are some top teams this year and where they rank passing the ball.

Alabama 60

Michigan state 89

Stanford 90

Ohio State 91

OU 99

Auburn 107

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

You do realize USF beat a Cincy team we had no business competing against and put a hell of a scare in a UCF squad we also had no business competing with.

So, Harbaugh jumped up and stole a game in year one.  Taggart got 1 (from Cincy) and almost got a second.   I also doubt that Harbaugh had a roster with so many glaring holes.