• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FWIW, Stanford crushed Arizona State tonight.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'll probably need two years. WKU went 2-10 Taggart's first year and followed it up with two 7-5 seasons. The offense requires more intelligence and precision of execution than we're accustomed to at USF. Whether it is personnel or learning curve, there seems to be many issues to address that won't be remedied overnight... especially with a team that was already playing poorly when he took it over (much like WKU).

Then again, this has all been said a million times and morons on this board refuse to let any of this seep through those thick skulls, so I'm not really sure why I'm even posting. Saying that CWT will never be Harbaugh because of this season is easily one of the dumbest arguments that I've seen on this board AND I've seen a lot of dumb comments. Poor initial seasons only reinforce the concept of his likeness to Harbaugh.

I should make this post my signature.  Great post.   

Yeah, I think you should, especially that last sentence.  Because everyone knows that Stanford's first season with Harbaugh playing PAC 12 competition was comparable to USF playing Div 1AA foes and AAC competition and his 4-8 season is comparable to Taggart's 2-10 season.  A season I might add where Stanford beat the #2 USC team.  Connecting those dots really requires a leap of faith in Taggart that borders on insanity.  Good luck getting your proper meds via ObamaCare.  ;)

You do realize USF beat a Cincy team we had no business competing against and put a hell of a scare in a UCF squad we also had no business competing with.

So, Harbaugh jumped up and stole a game in year one.  Taggart got 1 (from Cincy) and almost got a second.   I also doubt that Harbaugh had a roster with so many glaring holes.

don't forget we played rose bowl bound michigan state pretty tight as well.

some people want instant gratification. unfortunately for them it doesn't work that way.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I debated on including Michigan State in that list, but decided it could be most easily argued against and left it out.

UCF and Cincy are really very good parallels to USC in the Stanford : USF analogy.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I say that because some want a coach that is a spread offensive type of coach like Todd Graham at ASU. A Stanford team that does the pro style and bruises teams using that runnig game crushed ASU tonight. Stanford is heading to Rose Bowl against Mich ST. Lets see how well that offense does against them. 

I expect them to get shut down. They had 2 losses and won 4 games by 1 score. They are going up a top defense that averages 12.7 points against in a game.

I think the issue is you need an extraordinary back (and talented O Line) to be effective with this type system. Look at how good a back CWT had at W. Kentucky. Bobby Rainey looks better than Doug Martin and already, after a few games set the Bucs record for the longest TD run from scrimmage in their history.

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/bucs-notes-stiff-arm-springs-rainey-on-historic-run-20131209/

I think its easier to recruit a good spread option team than power run. More high schools have that type offense now and you get 1) players familiar with the system and 2) are easier to evaluate since that is they system they are playing week in and out.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Well cwt recruited rainey..he has a eye for talent it would appear.

I think the issue is you need an extraordinary back (and talented O Line) to be effective with this type system. Look at how good a back CWT had at W. Kentucky. Bobby Rainey looks better than Doug Martin and already, after a few games set the Bucs record for the longest TD run from scrimmage in their history.

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/bucs-notes-stiff-arm-springs-rainey-on-historic-run-20131209/

I think its easier to recruit a good spread option team than power run. More high schools have that type offense now and you get 1) players familiar with the system and 2) are easier to evaluate since that is they system they are playing week in and out.

you don't need an extraordinary back. you do need a very good line though. Rainey isn't an extraordinary back. he went undrafted and was dropped twice. Not to take anything away from him but Mike James looked just as good if not better before he was hurt. it's actually the system that Schiano runs that makes these backs look good. a very good o-line and a good blocking fullback is what we need. we do need a big durable back though.

you don't need an extraordinary back. you do need a very good line though. Rainey isn't an extraordinary back. he went undrafted and was dropped twice. Not to take anything away from him but Mike James looked just as good if not better before he was hurt. it's actually the system that Schiano runs that makes these backs look good. a very good o-line and a good blocking fullback is what we need. we do need a big durable back though.

How can you even think this, go and use GOOGLE.  Rainey was an exceptional RB in college, he was conference player of the year...and offensive player of the year another year. He set school season and career records. He is only the 8th FBS rb to have back to back 1500 yard plus seasons since 2000. Here is who is on that list, LaDanian Tomlinson (TCU), Ray Rice (Rutgers), DeAngelo Williams (Memphis), Darren McFadden (Arkansas) and Steven Jackson (Oregon State).  So yes, he was an EXTRAORDINARY college RB. He was a finalist to number prestigious awards, first team Sun Belt, etc.

I could care which conference it was, but NFL scouts obviously are biased so I could care less if he went undrafted. That happens in the NFL, someone buried in the depth chart gets a chance and shines, like Priest Holmes, who was also an Undrafted FA. Same with Arian Foster.

How can you even think this, go and use GOOGLE.  Rainey was an exceptional RB in college, he was conference player of the year...and offensive player of the year another year. He set school season and career records. He is only the 8th FBS rb to have back to back 1500 yard plus seasons since 2000. Here is who is on that list, LaDanian Tomlinson (TCU), Ray Rice (Rutgers), DeAngelo Williams (Memphis), Darren McFadden (Arkansas) and Steven Jackson (Oregon State).  So yes, he was an EXTRAORDINARY college RB. He was a finalist to number prestigious awards, first team Sun Belt, etc.

I could care which conference it was, but NFL scouts obviously are biased so I could care less if he went undrafted. That happens in the NFL, someone buried in the depth chart gets a chance and shines, like Priest Holmes, who was also an Undrafted FA. Same with Arian Foster.

guess who joined him on that "exclusive' list of 1,500 yard backs? Antonio Andrews. Ever hear of him? Could it be the system?

BTW it's the offense that churns out those numbers. 2 backs at WKU over 1,500 yards in consecutive years. every lead back for Stanford since 2008 has been over 1,000 yards.

I like Rainey and I'm not taking anything away from him but he piled up those stats in college because he played for Taggart. not because he was an extraordinary RB.

guess who joined him on that "exclusive' list of 1,500 yard backs? Antonio Andrews. Ever hear of him? Could it be the system?

BTW it's the offense that churns out those numbers. 2 backs at WKU over 1,500 yards in consecutive years. every lead back for Stanford since 2008 has been over 1,000 yards.

I like Rainey and I'm not taking anything away from him but he piled up those stats in college because he played for Taggart. not because he was an extraordinary RB.

When you are named Mr. (fill state in here), chances are you are a stand out high school athlete, wouldn't you agree?  Or lead your high school to not 1 but 2 state championships? Dude. You make it sound like Andrews didn't do anything in high school.  

And how did Rainey have the longest run from scrimmage in Bucs history? Was CWT cheerleading that day?

Thing of it is, with TWO excellent runners, CWT could only win 7 games max?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

To be fair the longest run in Bucs history is a confluence of events all aligning on a single play.  Offensive play call vs defensive play call, Blocking up front, Defensive players being in or out of position, Personnel, game planning, execution.  

I'll give it to Rainey.  He found the hole and had the speed to make it to the endzone, Andre Hall did it a few times in Denver and really never did anything in the NFL.

Obviously Rainey isn't a bad player, but that one play doesn't say much about Rainey and or his potential.