• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Players don't respect Taggart?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

Okay, I was debating about posting this since I don't put a ton of credibility in the source but decided to pass it on for what it's worth. I mentioned in the Andre Davis post that I was in the Perry Ellis store the other day and the kid who worked there starting talking football with me since I had my USF gear on. He mentioned that he knew a guy on the team and he claimed that a lot of the players don't respect CWT. He said some would refuse to dress for practices and didn't really want to play for the guy. I asked him who his friend is and he said ******* ******. He made it sound as if ****** was among the ones who didn't respect CWT. Me and my wife took it as the guys who obviously weren't recruited by CWT are the ones who are part of the problem because maybe they don't like the discipline he's brought in. Wasn't ****** recruited by the previous staff also? From the way this kid made it sound, CWT has a bigger overhaul on his hands than what I thought. But again, I'm not putting too much credibility in the source since from talking to him it was obvious he didn't know a whole lot about college football. Just thought I would pass it on and see if anyone else had heard anything regarding "a lot" of players not having respect for the coach?

Edited by Bulliever to remove allegations associated with a player

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I have a bit of a hard time believing they don't respect him. Perhaps some don't like culture shock they went through in going from the more relaxed atmosphere under Holtz. There may be things the coach is saying (such as not being mentally tough or they are weak) or even things like giving the younger guys the playing time over the older guys that think they deserve it just because.

If Taggart was not respected that sort of thing would filter down to the recruiting level. In the big scheme of things we recruit in a relatively small area. Word like that gets around quick.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, that's why "a lot" was the emphasis. I could see a few guys being disgruntled and not liking the discipline or the scheme or whatever, but I feel like this kid was exaggerating a bit with the way he made it sound. I told him anytime you have a coaching change there will be players who don't like it but it's up to the coach to weed out the bad apples. I can't see any of the players recruited by CWT not having respect for him and his staff. I mean why would you agree to come play for a coach you didn't respect?

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

well

coach t  really didnt win anything in the past and he is coming from western ky

i see where kids might not have so much respect for his accomplishments but you should respect his position at the least

that said

who cares as coach t will recruit his own players hopefully 25 new ones this year

the holdovers will soon all be gone

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

Yeah, that's why "a lot" was the emphasis. I could see a few guys being disgruntled and not liking the discipline or the scheme or whatever, but I feel like this kid was exaggerating a bit with the way he made it sound. I told him anytime you have a coaching change there will be players who don't like it but it's up to the coach to weed out the bad apples. I can't see any of the players recruited by CWT not having respect for him and his staff. I mean why would you agree to come play for a coach you didn't respect?

Because he could tell you one thing when recruiting you and then change the tune once you get there. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

If anything,  I could see "dislike" instead of "disrespect".  I'm sure his approach isn't loved by all, but the ones sick of losing will buy in.  I'm sure he doesn't degrade or act like a hypocrite...that WOULD erode respect.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

So, after the year we have had I have no doubt that some players are disgruntled.  I suspect some even blame the coach.  I mean out of 100 players on a team that quite honestly failed in all respects this year (hurts but true) you can bet some will not react with respect to the leadership. 

They will learn that they aren't exactly prime transfer material for FSU and that even UF doesn't want them.  At that point they will either start helping or go play at division 2 schools.  Either way, it will work itself out.  As long as he has 75% of the team bought in he can replace the weeds.

Edited by BullTiger

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

Okay, I was debating about posting this since I don't put a ton of credibility in the source but decided to pass it on for what it's worth. I mentioned in the Andre Davis post that I was in the Perry Ellis store the other day and the kid who worked there starting talking football with me since I had my USF gear on. He mentioned that he knew a guy on the team and he claimed that a lot of the players don't respect CWT. He said some would refuse to dress for practices and didn't really want to play for the guy. I asked him who his friend is and he said ******** ****+. He made it sound as if Wright was among the ones who didn't respect CWT. Me and my wife took it as the guys who obviously weren't recruited by CWT are the ones who are part of the problem because maybe they don't like the discipline he's brought in. Wasn't *****+ recruited by the previous staff also? From the way this kid made it sound, CWT has a bigger overhaul on his hands than what I thought. But again, I'm not putting too much credibility in the source since from talking to him it was obvious he didn't know a whole lot about college football. Just thought I would pass it on and see if anyone else had heard anything regarding "a lot" of players not having respect for the coach?

This could have been written about Leavitt. In fact is was many years ago. It was before the 2007 season if I recall. The quote at the time was "everyone hated him".

My response to both - "tough s***". As a fan base that should be our response too. These are spoiled individuals if they think they have the luxury to dislike their coach.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

What constitutes respect?

Is there a difference between respect and like? As an example, I had one boss who I absolutely could not stand. My hair stood straight up every time he opened his mouth to speak. I hated his style, his demeanor...everything.  But....He got results. No late projects, no redundant fixes and he didn't play favorites (I think he loathed us all equally). Professionally I respected him, but personally didn't like him. Unfortunately, in talking to kids they may not make that distinction.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

What constitutes respect?

Is there a difference between respect and like? As an example, I had one boss who I absolutely could not stand. My hair stood straight up every time he opened his mouth to speak. I hated his style, his demeanor...everything. But....He got results. No late projects, no redundant fixes and he didn't play favorites (I think he loathed us all equally). Professionally I respected him, but personally didn't like him. Unfortunately, in talking to kids they may not make that distinction.

Unlike in your story, Taggart hasn't gotten much in terms of results.