• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Players don't respect Taggart?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I dont anticipate stephen bench being back next year

Something you know or speculation?

3rd school in three years? Unless it is a lower division he has to sit a year this time.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I dont anticipate stephen bench being back next year

Something you know or speculation?

3rd school in three years? Unless it is a lower division he has to sit a year this time.

I dont have substantial proof but ive heard he is rumored to go back home and transfer to valdosta state. So you can say speculation

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  0

Didn't Coach T say that he was surprised by the lack of existing talent that USF had?  If he did say something to that affect, then he didn't show the existing players any respect in saying that, so why should they respect him?

Realistically, when you have a coach change, you are going to have players that don't fit your system.  But, I just don't understand why the system is so complicated to learn.  Auburn's players seemed to have learned the new system pretty quickly.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Auburns system wasn't new. Malzahn was the OC then left for 1 year to coach Ark St. Then came back to the same players (more or less) and brought back a familiar system

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276

Didn't Coach T say that he was surprised by the lack of existing talent that USF had?  If he did say something to that affect, then he didn't show the existing players any respect in saying that, so why should they respect him?

Realistically, when you have a coach change, you are going to have players that don't fit your system.  But, I just don't understand why the system is so complicated to learn.  Auburn's players seemed to have learned the new system pretty quickly.

He didn't say there was a lack of talent, said the kids on the team weren't recruited for the system he wants to run.  The offense we ran with Holtz was a cluster too, it was only good when BJ could scramble.

Once CWT can get some of his kids in here and they can start to implement the O, we will see progress.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131

He didn't say there was a lack of talent, said the kids on the team weren't recruited for the system he wants to run.  The offense we ran with Holtz was a cluster too, it was only good when BJ could scramble.

Once CWT can get some of his kids in here and they can start to implement the O, we will see progress.

Due to the holidays and invites to various parties, etc., I've had the opportunity to engage in conversations with people who have either inside contact or very solid indirect contact with the football team.  So, based on what I've heard, and heard from different sources on different occasions, the same theme came out in each of those conversations.  So, I'd have to agree with the good CptKid here.  BTW, ScienceBull should have NEVER named a USF player when he recounted that conversation of his.  Naming the player could only damage the relationship b/t that player and the coaches, and jeopardize said player's standing on the team.

Back to topic. Along with Taggart saying that he didn't have the right players to run his offense, Taggart appartently made other statements that were pretty unpopular with a lot of players.  Additionally, I watched an interview with Taggart where he basically told Bench that he had no chance of becoming the starting QB again.  So, as Feardabull said, I expect Bench to transfer out - or if I were him after what I heard, I'd seek a transfer from USF. 

From my recent conversations, I'd say that the diminished respect speculation is sadly a possible emerging situation on this team.  To what degree (percentage), it's hard to tell without a larger sample of opinion.  However, here's what I'm hearing from what I'd call reliable sources: (1) Taggart makes bad personnel decisions. For example, why so few passes to Dunkley?  Dunk is one of those playmakers that Taggart keeps talking about, but he can't seem to get the ball, (2) Taggart has obvious favorites, and plays them even though they do not always perform, (3) There are playmakers on the team, but they seldom get the chance to either get on the field or get the ball, (4) Taggart will pull a player for making one mistake, and then player/s never sees the field again, (5) There's becoming player discontent as a result of Taggart's continued and obvious favortism, (6) Opposing coaches can tell if the next play is a run or pass based on the player groups that are always shuffled into the huddle. Players are losing confidence in Taggart due to that example and similar ones that they believe tip their hand to the other team (which I've observed myself and it's obvious), (7) some good players appear to be permanent blockers rather than given opportunity to get the ball in effort to spread the ball around to various players, (8) Taggart studdornly wants to run his power offense although he lacks the players to run that offense effectively.  Players want to win, and can't understand why the offense cannot be tailored more to current personnel as Taggart builds toward full implementation of his offense, (9) Taggart's sideline was dysfunctional for most of the season, as his process for play-calling was disorganized and caused delays that resulted in those costly illegal procedure penalties and (10) many are questioning whether Taggart should continue calling the plays due to many reasons, but mainly due to lack of proficiency by the offense. 

I've heard the above issues from more than one source, and the complaints appear to be pretty consistent.  So, not sure what's going on, but it doesn't appear that all is fine and happy on Taggart's bus.  After watching a pathetic offense during the second half of the Rutgers' game (minus total yds), I'd say that much of what I've heard appears to be pretty accurate.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

It's easy for players to get disgruntled when we're 2-10.

The truth is USF can't afford to fire Taggart.  Noting: it would be completely ridiculous at this point.  Taggart not only has next season to turn the ship around he signed a 5 year contract.  He's got at least 3 more years before he'd have an affordable buyout. of the final year.

Taggart needs to recruit his guys.  If as a player you're mad you're not one of Taggarts favorites, don't mope and whine like a child, work your ass off and become one.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

So Tampa

1. Dunkley isn't a good receiver. runs terrible routes and has terrible hands.yes he is fast. probably why he is returning kicks.

2 not sure how it's obvious he has favorites. I'm sure he wants to win and will play the guys that give him the best chance to win.

3. name all these playmakers that are sitting on the bench.

4. he should pull out players for making mistakes. it's called being held accountable. notice when you fumble for Bellichick you get put on inactive list next game.

5.sounds like sour grapes with favoritism. honestly if their not playing then it means he doesn't think they're good enough. if their feelings are hurt then they should leave team.

6.if it's so obvious perhaps you should be a defensive coordinator. he runs a power offense which means it is meant to be predictable. he's not running oregon's offense. everyone in the stadium knows what stanford will do. they just can't stop it.

7. what good players appear to be blockers? I don't see many good blockers period.

8. it takes time to learn this system. why would he retard that process by running something different? it would only set back the learning curve even further.

9. the penalties are due in large part to new players in a new system. only thing you can do is learn from your mistakes(which are inevitable in learning anything new)

10. harbaugh's offense at stanford was just as bad his first year. even into his 2nd year he had a terrible passing offense. both ranked over 100.

sounds like you party with a bunch of disgruntled players. I hope they decide to leave and find better success elsewhere. these kind of players aren't needed. this happens when any disciplinarian takes over for a "players" coach. Look at the turnover when saban took over. hell he turns his roster over every year.

• Upvote 2

It's easy for players to get disgruntled when we're 2-10.

The truth is USF can't afford to fire Taggart.  Noting: it would be completely ridiculous at this point.  Taggart not only has next season to turn the ship around he signed a 5 year contract.  He's got at least 3 more years before he'd have an affordable buyout. of the final year.

Taggart needs to recruit his guys.  If as a player you're mad you're not one of Taggarts favorites, don't mope and whine like a child, work your ass off and become one.

I'm mature enough to understand that some of the complaints might be related to some players not getting game reps or believe that they're not receiving sufficient reps; however, I think that you're not considering the possible accuracy of some of their main points - which are obvious problems if you're watching closely. 

Poor Personnel Decisions: (I won't get into the QB situation) why did it take so long for coaches to recognize that Pierre should receive less playing time and give more reps to Willie Davis; why the limited use of a playmaker like Dunkley earlier in season and even now (aside from KO returns) why are so few passes designated to clearly one of the most athletic receivers on that WR squad; why are most passes designed to go 90% to just one outside receiver (A. Davis) when Davis continues to give up on routes when he's closely covered. 

Offensive Dysfunction: we've seen the continued late play insertion causing continued delays resulting in QB getting snaps before players are set or sufficient time for Bulls' offense to perform designated movements/shifts (that's on coaching).  Offensive play groups are obvious re: run or pass depending on personnel sent into huddle (very obvious over the last 3 games or so). 

Complete Offensive Futility: can anyone say that Taggart's offense has shown signs of improvment?  Regardless of the players that were available to Taggart, it's nearly impossible to think that some improvement was not possible as Taggart worked his way thru his personnel to find needed player combinations and playmakers.  Taggart's continuing to try to shove square pegs into round holes did not result in gaining the confidence of all of his players.  

Taggart's Player Excuse: a lot of players are frustrated and some mad at Taggart's repeated excuse that he doesn't have the right players to win within his system.  I suspect that that player frustration would be reduced if they were seeing improvements, but when a lot of the offensive problems appear to be related to coaching disorganization and some questionable play-calling, then a lot of players look at Taggart as throwing the players under the bus for the team's overall bad play. I think that the players would respect Taggart more if he and his coaches took more responsibility (in public) rather than repeat the inadequate player quality excuse. 

So Tampa

sounds like you party with a bunch of disgruntled players. I hope they decide to leave and find better success elsewhere. these kind of players aren't needed. this happens when any disciplinarian takes over for a "players" coach. Look at the turnover when saban took over. hell he turns his roster over every year.

Bulls94, these were not players providing me those insights.  BTW, I'm too old to "party" with college football players.  It's not surprising to read your response, as you certainly have a track record here of being someone that only considers his own opinions.