• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Concerned about Shaw finishing his career strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  39
  • Days Won:  0

The new guys who took over for Auman are kind of big douchebags. Both ask leading and instigating questions and write negatively/apathetically about the hometown team.

Even when we were 3-9 last year, Auman wasn't writing anything like Jeff Odom or Joey Knight.

Creating "breaking news" due to being negative isn't a way to get people in Tampa to read your garbage. You aren't an ABC news anchor.

I'll take my negative and criticizing views from Voodoo Five because those guys bleed green and gold.

Well said!!! I have been reading more Joey Johnston from the Trib.  He is a USF alumn and is not bashing as much. He kind of calls it like it is which is fair. Hopefully the others get better next season as I will give them a one year break being their 1st year covering USF. 

Just to be fair, and since I'm curious, I'd like to see an example of where either of us have been "bashing" or "disrespecting" the program in any way. Or "created breaking news" for that matter. Once again, it's our job to report on what's going on with the athletic department at USF, whether that's things that are positive, negative or neutral. I'm not sure what more I can say. But, regardless, thanks for reading.

Edited by Jeff Odom

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The new guys who took over for Auman are kind of big douchebags. Both ask leading and instigating questions and write negatively/apathetically about the hometown team.

Even when we were 3-9 last year, Auman wasn't writing anything like Jeff Odom or Joey Knight.

Creating "breaking news" due to being negative isn't a way to get people in Tampa to read your garbage. You aren't an ABC news anchor.

I'll take my negative and criticizing views from Voodoo Five because those guys bleed green and gold.

For the record, neither of us asked the questions. It's a circle of reporters that conduct the interviews during practices and we report what each player and coach says. As seen above, I cited the questions asked and the player's response in a quote.

Our job is to report what goes on around the team, not to be fans or supporters of any program or organization whether it's USF, or otherwise. 

Nobody is accusing you or even asking you to be a fan or supporter of USF.  Seems like all that is being said is that there is a different feel with you and Joey covering our Bulls as opposed to when Greg covered it.  

It's a tough season for all of us to swallow, and I'm sure it's tough for you guys as well as you are having to interview players that are frustrated at the way the season has gone.  Can't be too enjoyable.  

That said, all we expect from you is fair coverage.  That's it.  You'll have to excuse us as we still get used to you and Joey's style.  New beat writers take some getting used to, and with much due respect, you are attempting to fill some pretty big shoes.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Jeff, I am 100% behind your your coverage. I am not sure what the others have been seeing but your Twitter feeds have been informative and you have been balanced in your coverage.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Jeff, I am 100% behind your your coverage. I am not sure what the others have been seeing but your Twitter feeds have been informative and you have been balanced in your coverage.

Agreed. I think both provide excellent info on Twitter. Just because we don't like the news doesn't always mean we need to be mad at the guy reporting it.

I think both Joey and Jeff are off to good starts.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

This is cracking me up...who are we targeting next?  The receptionist?  The night-cleaning person?

"Dam* you!!!  You forgot to put a bag in my trash bin!!  You must not be a Bulls supporter!!"

Edited by Supersurch

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

Our FB program's futility solely rests on the people directly involved in it.  Period.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,336
  • Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

Agreed, I am not reading the Times anymore, Joey has lost me.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I think the coverage has been fair. There's less of it than with Greg, but I don't see the negativity. Don't let a few negative Nancys get to you, Jeff...good work so far and the Twitter coverage in particular is very solid.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Well said!!! I have been reading more Joey Johnston from the Trib.  He is a USF alumn and is not bashing as much. He kind of calls it like it is which is fair. Hopefully the others get better next season as I will give them a one year break being their 1st year covering USF. 

Just to be fair, and since I'm curious, I'd like to see an example of where either of us have been "bashing" or "disrespecting" the program in any way. Or "created breaking news" for that matter. Once again, it's our job to report on what's going on with the athletic department at USF, whether that's things that are positive, negative or neutral. I'm not sure what more I can say. But, regardless, thanks for reading.

Don't get all reporter on me with your "it's our job to report the facts" nonsense. Joey Knight is teaching you the WRONG way to cover a local team and if you continue to follow his model, you BOTH will be out of a job in the future. Nobody is asking you to be a homer...but unbiased, fair, and no cheap jab reporting would be nice. Articles insinuating there are enough USF fans are calling for Taggart's head to even write about and asking instigating questions to Shaw about the run game (what the hell were you trying to do there? Pit him against the Coach?) come to the top of my mind since they just happened.

Its the way you write about the facts, not what you're reporting that is irking people. Do yourself a favor and call Greg Auman for pointers and tips, don't emulate Knight.

Edited by Hem