• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Concerned about Shaw finishing his career strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

In reading some of the comments Tweeted by Jeff Odom, I worry that Shaw is getting frustrated.  I'd hate to see him end his career like he ended his junior year.

Jeff Odom â€@ByJeffOdom 13m On the potential of being included in more passing plays, Shaw said: "Whatever the plays coach calls ... I can't change the plays."

Jeff Odom â€@ByJeffOdom 51m Asked if he thinks the ground game has stalled out, #USF RB Marcus Shaw said "I don't want to answer that."

I'm not questioning his attitude at all.  Just thinking it must be frustrating to be headed to a 1,000 yard season, then taking an injury and essentially missing both winning games.

Then he returns, maybe not full strength, and the losing seems to be coming with no end in sight.  That has to wear on you.

Hoping he gets a lot of action, and has a monster game v SMU...for his sake, and to keep that SMU offense on the sideline.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

I'm sure there is a lot of frustration on the part of many of these student athletes.  A lot of these guys were used to winning in high school.  People talk about Mike White winning a State Championship.  Pretty sure Steven Bench took his team to the championship game in Ga.  Probably find a bunch of others on the roster that come from winning programs.  Losing bothers all of them and others are frustrated by the amount of playing time they get.  All part of the maturing process.  Don't fault Shaw at all and I'm sure he learned from last year and will play hard until the final whistle of the final game. 

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

many oddddd quotes lately

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Those were some leading and instigating questions with seemingly obvious answers. I would object to that line of questioning as well.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,473
  • Days Won:  43

Maybe you are reading too much into these quotes. You have to think that we will be playing more of our younger players now that we are eliminated from bowl contention. Maybe Shaw is upset about that? 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

The new guys who took over for Auman are kind of big douchebags. Both ask leading and instigating questions and write negatively/apathetically about the hometown team.

Even when we were 3-9 last year, Auman wasn't writing anything like Jeff Odom or Joey Knight.

Creating "breaking news" due to being negative isn't a way to get people in Tampa to read your garbage. You aren't an ABC news anchor.

I'll take my negative and criticizing views from Voodoo Five because those guys bleed green and gold.

Edited by Hem

The new guys who took over for Auman are kind of big douchebags. Both ask leading and instigating questions and write negatively/apathetically about the hometown team.

Even when we were 3-9 last year, Auman wasn't writing anything like Jeff Odom or Joey Knight.

Creating "breaking news" due to being negative isn't a way to get people in Tampa to read your garbage. You aren't an ABC news anchor.

I'll take my negative and criticizing views from Voodoo Five because those guys bleed green and gold.

Hard to argue, Hem.  Readership dropped hard once they started charging AND Auman left.  Auman wasn't a homer, but I think he respected the program.

I cited why I think Shaw is frustrated, but as to the concern about playing younger guys, Taggart was recently quoted as saying he's not playing for 2014...wouldn't be fair to the seniors.  I think if Shaw is truly healthy, and gets some carries, he'll finish strong. I hope so...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  39
  • Days Won:  0

For the record, neither of us asked the questions. It's a circle of reporters that conduct the interviews during practices and we report what each player and coach says. As seen above, I cited the questions asked and the player's response in a quote.

Our job is to report what goes on around the team, not to be fans or supporters of any program or organization whether it's USF, or otherwise. 

Edited by Jeff Odom

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,473
  • Days Won:  43

Well said!!! I have been reading more Joey Johnston from the Trib.  He is a USF alumn and is not bashing as much. He kind of calls it like it is which is fair. Hopefully the others get better next season as I will give them a one year break being their 1st year covering USF. 

In fairness, I've seen some good stuff by both guys...and Auman is hard to beat (at least soon).  Having an ugly year doesn't help.

I do follow their tweets...Jeff seems more prolific, but both are worth checking.

And Jeff, I don't think anyone wants you guys to be fans.  Auman was a Gator grad, but I always felt he respected the program and wanted to probe and provide excellent insight...and ask compelling questions.  Again, not saying you guys aren't that...just that the tone is clearly different (and that could very be perception, as USF fans are hurting now).