• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Onside Kick

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I should add, I didn't mind it, but it hurt us. They scored immediately after that.

That play would have worked from their 10 yard line ....

True, but our Defensive play call may have been much different on their 20 yard line vs our 35 or whatever it was. 

they were at the 50.

You're right. My mistake. They were at our 48 yard line. Still, that defensive play call could be very different than if they're on their own 28. Not saying it's a given but.

it was a slant on 2nd and ten. that play is not designed to go the distance. it was defended the same at the 50 as it would have been at their 20. it would have gone 80 yards.

If you watch the replay we blitzed. We brought 6 after the QB. I'm not saying we would have done a better job defending the play in their end if we had the same exact defensive play called. I am saying we may have had a different play called had Houston been on their own 28 yard line vs where they were on the field at the time. Again I am not saying we definitely would have had a different defensive play call I am saying its very possible we might have. If we don't blitz both Linebackers on that play, when the WR is cutting across the middle Dede Lattimore is waiting right there for him. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I should add, I didn't mind it, but it hurt us. They scored immediately after that.

True, but our Defensive play call may have been much different on their 20 yard line vs our 35 or whatever it was. 

they were at the 50.

You're right. My mistake. They were at our 48 yard line. Still, that defensive play call could be very different than if they're on their own 28. Not saying it's a given but.

it was a slant on 2nd and ten. that play is not designed to go the distance. it was defended the same at the 50 as it would have been at their 20. it would have gone 80 yards.

If you watch the replay we blitzed. We brought 6 after the QB. I'm not saying we would have done a better job defending the play in their end if we had the same exact defensive play called. I am saying we may have had a different play called had Houston been on their own 28 yard line vs where they were on the field at the time. Again I am not saying we definitely would have had a different defensive play call I am saying its very possible we might have. If we don't blitz both Linebackers on that play, when the WR is cutting across the middle Dede Lattimore is waiting right there for him. 

do they call blitzes at the opponents 20 yard line? of course they do. you could blame it on being 2nd and 10 more than you could on it being at the 50.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

they were at the 50.

do they call blitzes at the opponents 20 yard line? of course they do. you could blame it on being 2nd and 10 more than you could on it being at the 50.

You're missing my point completely. I would understand where you're coming from if I were sitting here saying it would, NO DOUBT be a different story and would have NO DOUBT been a different play call if Houston was at their own 28 yard line, but I am not.....Of course blitzes happen at any point on the field. I am not saying it 100% would be a different outcome had they been deep in their end. All I am saying is It's a possibility that if Houston is on their own 28 yard line that a different defensive play call happens. I believe if that is the case, that the slant doesn't go for a TD. Had the same exactly defensive play call been made where we brought 6 on a blitz I believe the same results would have happened. 

Edited by USFbulls24

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

When they did it, I looked at my wife and said I respect the call.

The defense needed to step up and only allow a FG at worst to follow.  Obviously that didn't happen, but the odds on a surprise on-side kick are close to 50/50.

Can't fault taking the risk in the situation.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I thought, "NOOoooo!!" But after thinking about it a while and realizing our D was looking like a sieve against OKorn, I recanted and thought it was a pretty gutsy call that just says "I wanna WIN!"

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i love the guts to do it

i am hoping he has guts to let white throw the ball all over the field

onside kick play high risk high reward

i say why not

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I thought, "NOOoooo!!" But after thinking about it a while and realizing our D was looking like a sieve against OKorn, I recanted and thought it was a pretty gutsy call that just says "I wanna WIN!"

Yup. This call told his team we are trying to win this game.

We went of a nice little defensive run afterwards

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  425

It was a good play b/c they were gashing us anyways. Our D plays better on a shorter field and we had nothing to lose. I would onsides kick it more often, especially when our D is giving up huge plays and lots of first downs.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  477

I don't like the call at that time. Desperation move in my opinion for a team that was actually moving the ball without gimmicks.

The execution was even worse.

If it worked we succeed at doing something we shouldn't have tried and possibly encourage more of that.

Not a desperation move at all, but a chance to surprise them and change the momentum of the game. The point was doing it when they weren't expecting it. The kick itself wasn't good, but the effort was there.