• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone watch the LaTech vs Tulane game last night?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

They would have had to go for 2 eventually. I don't get why it matters if its the first TD or the second. If he misses it on the next TD, he still needs the ball one more time.

^This

Slick will take any opportunity to defend one of the worst coaches in college football.

All your opportunities on this board are directed at me, even when I simply agree with someone about a basic football strategy. I'm happily married by the way.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I am just as sure if he didn't go for two after that score someone on here would have posted about what a bone head decision it was. Getting the two on that attempt most likely would have fired up the defense to get the ball back because the hard part of tying the game is behind them, the 2 pt conversion. Plus I didn't see the drive, if the offense was decisive and he felt they had momentum.

The key to if this really is an issue or nit picking is the media response.

From nola.com.

Tech scored again, but tried and failed a two-point conversion attempt to leave Tulane with the 24-15 lead and 2:19 remaining. The Wave kept a drive going until the final buzzer.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Sorry La Tech got stuck with Skip. He won't win many games there. They'll be lucky to win 3 games this year. They were really good last year also. Glad USF got rid of that mistake. Taggart is left to clean up the mess.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Most coaches that aren't running the Oregon offense and PAT style would probably have waited to go for 2. They also tried an onside kick immediately, which shows there isn't much confidence in that defense if they have 4 minutes left and can't stop the other team in time.

The only thing I would say in defense of LA Tech (not Holtz, but the team itself) is that their QB went down with an injury early in the game. He was supposedly a TX Tech transfer brought over by Sonny Dykes, and was familiar with the Air Raid offense...which is well, kaput since Holtz doesn't run that. But I heard they were driving decently early on before the QB got injured.

Tulane does have Nick Montana and he was doing okay last night. He's not his dad, and even after washing out at Washington, he seems to have landed somewhere. Tulane is still not a great team, but they'd probably give USF a run this year, and we very well may face them next year when they arrive in the AAC. They have a young energetic coach just like USF does, so perhaps they'll be on the upswing for once. They've been abysmal since the Shaun King/Terry Bowden/Rich Rod days.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Most coaches that aren't running the Oregon offense and PAT style would probably have waited to go for 2. They also tried an onside kick immediately, which shows there isn't much confidence in that defense if they have 4 minutes left and can't stop the other team in time.

I'll bet he had timeouts to use, too.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

Don't want to do multiple posts since Brad is going to start charging per post :P

As for the # of players lost I'm pretty sure it was 30+ and the number of starters lost was 16 or 17. 

I actually watched most of the game and, sounding like a UCiF fan, IF the guy doesn't step out of bounds on the first series as he waltzed in for a TD and the RB doesn't drop a wide up simple TD catch on the 2nd series - that game is entirely different.  IF the starting QB played the 2nd half things may have been different.

My 2c on the 2 point conversion - don't see a big problem with going for it on the 1st TD, but I would have kicked the extra point and waited until the 2nd TD.

And, yes, there were time outs left on the scoreboard.  I'm guessing since they were 2 scores down it didn't matter.

Finally, the announcers mentioned that the top rated golf course in La. is found, where?  Either in or near Ruston. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I guess it could be worse, he could have gotten schooled by an FCS team.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Just wait till the team is full of his players, then they'll really suck.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Just wait till the team is full of his players, then they'll really suck.

Right, like his team full of players at ECU did .... and for the record, he never got a team full of his players here, even though it wasn't trending well.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If you're down 15 and playing for a tie to get to OT, you ALWAYS go for 1 first and 2 second, unless your kicker's out of the game