• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Auman: Giddins healthy, bigger for senior year

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

Giddins healthy, bigger for senior year

TAMPA -- USF defensive end Ryne Giddins, limited by shoulder injuries for much of last season, said Thursday he's back at "90 percent" and considerably bigger, hoping to make the most of his senior season at a crucial position for the Bulls.

"I never was really 90 percent (last year). During the season, I was pretty bad," Giddins said. "My left shoulder feels better than my right one now. I feel pretty good, but I'm still a work in progress, have to rehab every day still and get back to normal."

Giddins played in all 12 games, but said he did so with a labrum torn in three places in his left shoulder, an injury he suffered on the opening defensive possession of the season, in the Bulls' win against Chattanooga. He had 1.5 sacks on that drive, but would have just two more the rest of the year. "That's when it all started," he said.

The full extent of Giddins' injury wasn't made public last year, so his lack of production wasn't seen in its full context, but he said the people around him were aware of his physical limitations.

"My training staff, some of the coaches, they knew what was wrong," he said, "but I tried not to voice it too much, not until the end of the season when they can operate on it."

Giddins is a big part of a deep, talented group of defensive ends, along with seniors Tevin Mims and Julius Forte, Notre Dame transfer Aaron Lynch and sophomore Eric Lee, who started in the second half of the season. There's quality players inside at tackle as well, led by senior Luke Sager and junior Elkino Watson.

"The competition is really high this year. There's a lot more pressure coming up on everybody on the line," Giddins said. "We've got Aaron Lynch, Ju-Ju, Tevin, Kino, Luke, all them boys. The competition is rising because nobody wants to get beat out."

Bunch more from Greg here.

Don't you just love the sound of competition?

Willie don't play.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Expecting big things out of Giddens this year. Part of it is mental too. Have to get over last year, and gain some confidence to perform.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  1

Giddins has matured more than any player I have seen before. I remember reading articles that showed he wasn't a real high character or work ethic type of guy, but that has completely changed. It sounds like he has been working on rehab and training this year - 20lbs of good weight will make a huge difference. I haven't seen him cry about how things have gone the past couple of years, and he looks absolutely primed for a big year. He has transitioned into a team first player that will leave with a degree. i was never a fan, but he has absolutely converted me and I hope he has a great season.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

good to have competition on the D line.

wish we had the same on the offensive side.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Just curious, but why did last year's coaching staff keep it a secret and operate after the season rather than operate right away? Seems to me they risked putting him in an even worse situation if he compounded the injury.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Wow, he's a senior already???

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  508

On paper, this is one of the greatest D-lines in the country.  Should help out with our young defensive backfield. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This is a guy that really needs to #Dosomething

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484

I can't believe he is 280...heaviest DE at USF ever?

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

On paper, this is one of the greatest D-lines in the country.  Should help out with our young defensive backfield. 

on paper we look pretty good but there are probably 20 D-lines that look better on paper.

but i agree- the best pass defense is a good pass rush.