• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard: USF Serious About an On-Campus Football Stadium Now

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I'm staying out of this thread because it's NOT in the 'cow...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Believe it or not, there are kids that are a lot poorer than you portray. And some DON'T have a choice of where to attend. I didn't, I had to go driving distance from my parents house even with an academic scholarship. They go to school for a degree, not to support the athletic department. It may not be popular, but its true. Text books are a  part of education and the price has always been high. But now at least there are places that sell used texts for less money on the Internet. They didn't have that in the 80s. What's $100 in 1982 when adjusted for inflation today? That was for a 3 volume set I had to buy for one class.

And Trip, all I am saying is that USF's athletic department now has a high ranking admin who was spending tons of money on the athletic department at a school that was having $15 million yearly deficits.

Here in the Tampa area there are multiple schools within driving distance. USF, UT, HCC, Polk State, FSC, SPC, PHCC. Those are just the ones that I thought of in about 30 seconds. Just because books have always been expensive doesn't mean that have to be now. It's a racket, no other way to put it. If you make all of the PUBLIC institutes of higher learning use the same textbooks, you would save the students a **** ton of money.

But I lived in Sarasota, worked full time, and went to a satellite campus. No 4 year state schools in Sarasota in the 80s except USF.

Yes, in the 80's things were rather limited, but now there are multiple choices. Look, I'm not saying that dropping a **** ton of money into athletics at the possible cost of education is right. But there are plenty of ways that we can limit the cost of college for the kids today. The $795 a year figure was just a bad example to point out IMO.

I thought that was a semester fee.

It's actually $765 per student per academic year. It's around 2 min in

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Time to move this to the Mad Cow

I haven't been in the 'cow for over 2 years. If it's anything like it was then, this thread is a LOVE FEST! :)

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Mooooove it

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

Mooooove it

you-want-some-of-this-cow.gif

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Mooooove it

Best gif I've seen in a long time!!!

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

Mooooove it

Best gif I've seen in a long time!!!

I watched over and over for a solid 2-3 minutes lol... It should win an award or something

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

lol....classic! Gifs are the best.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Mooooove it

:applause:

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Believe it or not, there are kids that are a lot poorer than you portray. And some DON'T have a choice of where to attend. I didn't, I had to go driving distance from my parents house even with an academic scholarship. They go to school for a degree, not to support the athletic department. It may not be popular, but its true. Text books are a  part of education and the price has always been high. But now at least there are places that sell used texts for less money on the Internet. They didn't have that in the 80s. What's $100 in 1982 when adjusted for inflation today? That was for a 3 volume set I had to buy for one class.

And Trip, all I am saying is that USF's athletic department now has a high ranking admin who was spending tons of money on the athletic department at a school that was having $15 million yearly deficits.

Here in the Tampa area there are multiple schools within driving distance. USF, UT, HCC, Polk State, FSC, SPC, PHCC. Those are just the ones that I thought of in about 30 seconds. Just because books have always been expensive doesn't mean that have to be now. It's a racket, no other way to put it. If you make all of the PUBLIC institutes of higher learning use the same textbooks, you would save the students a **** ton of money.

We have drifed way off topic.  But the cost of books isn't for the university to make a bunch of money.  It's a bonus paid to the higher ranking members of the academic staff.  Dr John Doe writes a Calculus book, rakes in big money because 3,000 students take Calculus at USF every year and have to use that particular book.  Next year Dr Doe changes 12 pages of the book, and requires the students to buy Edition 2 instead of Edition 1 so they don't pick up the used books.  Dr Doe makes a lot of money, which means USF keeps him happy without paying him an even higher salary.  Perks of being the big dog.

• Upvote 1