• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard: USF Serious About an On-Campus Football Stadium Now

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

But I lived in Sarasota, worked full time, and went to a satellite campus. No 4 year state schools in Sarasota in the 80s except USF.

That's where your argument loses credibility IMO... you can't compare the two era's... They were night and day different. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Believe it or not, there are kids that are a lot poorer than you portray. And some DON'T have a choice of where to attend. I didn't, I had to go driving distance from my parents house even with an academic scholarship. They go to school for a degree, not to support the athletic department. It may not be popular, but its true. Text books are a  part of education and the price has always been high. But now at least there are places that sell used texts for less money on the Internet. They didn't have that in the 80s. What's $100 in 1982 when adjusted for inflation today? That was for a 3 volume set I had to buy for one class.

And Trip, all I am saying is that USF's athletic department now has a high ranking admin who was spending tons of money on the athletic department at a school that was having $15 million yearly deficits.

Here in the Tampa area there are multiple schools within driving distance. USF, UT, HCC, Polk State, FSC, SPC, PHCC. Those are just the ones that I thought of in about 30 seconds. Just because books have always been expensive doesn't mean that have to be now. It's a racket, no other way to put it. If you make all of the PUBLIC institutes of higher learning use the same textbooks, you would save the students a **** ton of money.

But I lived in Sarasota, worked full time, and went to a satellite campus. No 4 year state schools in Sarasota in the 80s except USF.

Yes, in the 80's things were rather limited, but now there are multiple choices. Look, I'm not saying that dropping a **** ton of money into athletics at the possible cost of education is right. But there are plenty of ways that we can limit the cost of college for the kids today. The $795 a year figure was just a bad example to point out IMO.

I thought that was a semester fee.

That's where your argument loses credibility IMO... you can't compare the two era's... They were night and day different. 

What? That in this economy everyone can afford to choose which school they go to, afford to live in a dorm or apartment? And that the entire state has multiple state schools in every area? Really? The state is that saturated and the economy that good? 

I never said any of that. I simply stated that the two era's were completely different. More schools, better opportunities to go to multiple campuses. This isn't the 80's... kids have choices if they do the work to earn the opportunity.

I never said any of that. I simply stated that the two era's were completely different. More schools, better opportunities to go to multiple campuses. This isn't the 80's... kids have choices if they do the work to earn the opportunity.

Currently the total amount of college loans is higher than the nation's credit card debt AND auto loans, over a trillion dollars and they are about to double the interest on it. So yeah, you are right about things being different. And that is one of the few debts that can't be erased with bankruptcy.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-student-loan-debt-almost-doubles-20130618,0,2109733.story

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/strangled-debt-grads-await-congress-solution-loan-rates/story?id=19428271

Edited by slick1ru2
  • Upvote 1

You don't have to tell me that... The wife and I will be paying off loans till we're retired. That said, my niece and nephew just graduated from UCF and UF in the last 3 years... they're family lives week to week on paychecks, comes from a small panhandle town and both kids graduated with no loans. If you work hard in school these days there are ample opportunities to get your college paid for. You just have to do the work and know where to look.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/cal-stadium-renovation-leaves-school-huge-debt-pay-173428997.html

Cal’s new stadium renovation leaves school with huge debt to pay off

"The Chronicle said the school now carries a $445 million debt for the stadium and a new $153 million student athletic center."

"The story says paying off stadium debt is already taking 20 percent of the athletic budget, and that's just to pay interest. The school won't start paying down the principal until 2032."

WOW! Financial irresponsibility at its best

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

Time to move this to the Mad Cow

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Time to move this to the Mad Cow

Disagree.  The other Mad cow threads would eat this one for breakfast.  It's a truly dog-eat-dog forum.  This thread is tame compared to what usually goes on in there.

I think it's good where it is, but my opinion is rightfully only worth =/<  :2cents:

Edit:  Maybe the alma mater thread ... ?

Edited by GaUSFBull

You don't have to tell me that... The wife and I will be paying off loans till we're retired. That said, my niece and nephew just graduated from UCF and UF in the last 3 years... they're family lives week to week on paychecks, comes from a small panhandle town and both kids graduated with no loans. If you work hard in school these days there are ample opportunities to get your college paid for. You just have to do the work and know where to look.

Since 2007 student loan debt doubled. Up to 1.1 trillion from 500 billion. That coincides with the economic crash, which makes sense. Obviously, opportunities were few and far between recently.