• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard: USF Serious About an On-Campus Football Stadium Now

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Looks like USF might be serious about next phase.  First, indoor practice facility and then stadium.  Greg reported something that speaks volumes

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/usf-hires-associate-ad-for-fundraising/2127350

USF has a new leader for its athletic fundraising efforts, as the Bulls on Tuesday announced the hiring of Ohio University's Jim Harris as senior associate athletic director, as well as the university's associate vice president for development.

Harris, 33, spent the last four years at Ohio, where he helped secure a $10 million lead gift toward an athletics facility for the Bobcats; while at Indiana, he helped the efforts to build a $45 million North End Zone facility as well as a $25 million basketball facility.

"I am excited to join the University of South Florida faimly and to work with all of the wonderful donors, alumni, fans, student-athletes and administration at USF," Harris said in a statement. "It is an honor to be part of such a tremendous and growing athletic program, led by Doug Woolard, one of the best in the business, and I look forward to playing a role in the future of USF athletics."

Ohio University has had serious budget issues. Here is a PBS documentary about how their program operates at a loss with the program itself only covering 20% and the school the rest. Half of all the student fees go to the athletic department. USF shouldn't have the school support athletics like Ohio University does.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/economy/video-sis-boom-bust-the-high-cost-of-college-sports/7808/

What exactly is your point?

My point is that let's not put athletics above education. Don't make it a burden that the entire student body has to bear, with students dropping school over student fees for which a large chunk goes to support an athletic department that can't pay for itself and now they can't afford to attend. Don't get into the situation that Cal is in, also mentioned in the film, spending millions on stadium renovation in a state with a budget crisis. Don't make a new stadium a huge monkey on the university's back. We now have an administrator that apparently was at a school that was doing exactly that, spending more on athletics than the school can afford.

But let's start a new University to spend state funds on cow pasture land owned by corrupt politicians in Lakeland. And let's give Flagship "Research" universities in the state an extra $20MM because most of our legislature  graduated from there. Let's cut State education funding while doling out rebates, grants and taxbreaks for Mining, BigAg and developers.Get rid of all that and we can then  start whining about how much students have to pay for athletics,healthy food, exercise facilities, art and music.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

Looks like USF might be serious about next phase.  First, indoor practice facility and then stadium.  Greg reported something that speaks volumes

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/usf-hires-associate-ad-for-fundraising/2127350

USF has a new leader for its athletic fundraising efforts, as the Bulls on Tuesday announced the hiring of Ohio University's Jim Harris as senior associate athletic director, as well as the university's associate vice president for development.

Harris, 33, spent the last four years at Ohio, where he helped secure a $10 million lead gift toward an athletics facility for the Bobcats; while at Indiana, he helped the efforts to build a $45 million North End Zone facility as well as a $25 million basketball facility.

"I am excited to join the University of South Florida faimly and to work with all of the wonderful donors, alumni, fans, student-athletes and administration at USF," Harris said in a statement. "It is an honor to be part of such a tremendous and growing athletic program, led by Doug Woolard, one of the best in the business, and I look forward to playing a role in the future of USF athletics."

Ohio University has had serious budget issues. Here is a PBS documentary about how their program operates at a loss with the program itself only covering 20% and the school the rest. Half of all the student fees go to the athletic department. USF shouldn't have the school support athletics like Ohio University does.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/economy/video-sis-boom-bust-the-high-cost-of-college-sports/7808/

My point is that let's not put athletics above education. Don't make it a burden that the entire student body has to bear, with students dropping school over student fees for which a large chunk goes to support an athletic department that can't pay for itself and now they can't afford to attend. Don't get into the situation that Cal is in, also mentioned in the film, spending millions on stadium renovation in a state with a budget crisis. Don't make a new stadium a huge monkey on the university's back. We now have an administrator that apparently was at a school that was doing exactly that, spending more on athletics than the school can afford.

Alrighty then .... I'd think most would agree with that but there's been nothing to indicate the current administration has any intentions of going down that path right now.

• Upvote 1

But let's start a new University to spend state funds on cow pasture land owned by corrupt politicians in Lakeland. And let's give Flagship "Research" universities in the state an extra $20MM because most of our legislature  graduated from there. Let's cut State education funding while doling out rebates, grants and taxbreaks for Mining, BigAg and developers.Get rid of all that and we can then  start whining about how much students have to pay for athletics,healthy food, exercise facilities, art and music.

USF did all that???

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

OK, I have to reply.

Kids in Florida should have a choice as to which post high school educational institute they attend. Oh, that’s right, they do.

$795.00 is Less than: 3 12 ounce sodas a day, 1 Mcd’s combo meal every 2 days, 1 new video game a month, 1 CD every 4 days.

You want to lower the cost of education, stop the BS in the cost of text books. It’s pure extortion. My wife is taking classes again; she buys all of her books used online. She pays an average of $125.00. If someone is taking 4 classes a semester (very low in today’s environment), they are paying at least $500.00 a semester for textbooks. If a student only attends 2 semesters, is $1000.00, which is more than $795.00. There are a violation ton ways of reducing the cost of post high school education; athletics is just everyone’s favorite whipping boy.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

OK, I have to reply.

Kids in Florida should have a choice as to which post high school educational institute they attend. Oh, that’s right, they do.

$795.00 is Less than: 3 12 ounce sodas a day, 1 Mcd’s combo meal every 2 days, 1 new video game a month, 1 CD every 4 days.

You want to lower the cost of education, stop the BS in the cost of text books. It’s pure extortion. My wife is taking classes again; she buys all of her books used online. She pays an average of $125.00. If someone is taking 4 classes a semester (very low in today’s environment), they are paying at least $500.00 a semester for textbooks. If a student only attends 2 semesters, is $1000.00, which is more than $795.00. There are a violation ton ways of reducing the cost of post high school education; athletics is just everyone’s favorite whipping boy.

Believe it or not, there are kids that are a lot poorer than you portray. And some DON'T have a choice of where to attend. I didn't, I had to go driving distance from my parents house even with an academic scholarship. They go to school for a degree, not to support the athletic department. It may not be popular, but its true. Text books are a  part of education and the price has always been high. But now at least there are places that sell used texts for less money on the Internet. They didn't have that in the 80s. What's $100 in 1982 when adjusted for inflation today? That was for a 3 volume set I had to buy for one class.

And Trip, all I am saying is that USF's athletic department now has a high ranking admin who was spending tons of money on the athletic department at a school that was having $15 million yearly deficits.

And Trip, all I am saying is that USF's athletic department now has a high ranking admin who was spending tons of money on the athletic department at a school that was having $15 million yearly deficits.

Maybe that's why he left ... Whatever he did there was under the direction, and with the support, of his superiors at OU, His superiors here have shown no inclination that I know of to go the fiscally irresponsible route of Ohio University .... which is why the title of this thread is misleading.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Agree athletics is the "whipping boy".  Look at schools like U of Miami , after their run of championships Blds started popping up all over the campus. (from money from ATHLETICS).    Yes athletics are expensive and if not run properly cost schools money, But the 3-4 hour commercial on  National Tv Weekly is a small price to pay to get the name out there. The exposure is huge. Exposure leads to more students, more money, more grants, more funds ect...

Also it gives thousands of students the opportunity to attend games weekly(sometimes more) for Free or little to nothing if you consider the fee. What other entertainment can they get so cheap?

If a stadium is built the right way, (donors, financing, sponsorships, rental( renting it out for events like Monster truck, concerts ect..), concessions, parking) it will pay for itself and make money.   

When we get on a roll and actually move to a power 5 conference and actually start putting a good product on the field, watch the campus explode, It will benefit EVERY STUDENT. More classrooms, facilities, gyms, study halls, amenities.

Bttm line is has to be done right, This is Doug and Judy's job to do, If they cant or don't than get people in who can and will.

Edited by Dhambuc

Believe it or not, there are kids that are a lot poorer than you portray. And some DON'T have a choice of where to attend. I didn't, I had to go driving distance from my parents house even with an academic scholarship. They go to school for a degree, not to support the athletic department. It may not be popular, but its true. Text books are a  part of education and the price has always been high. But now at least there are places that sell used texts for less money on the Internet. They didn't have that in the 80s. What's $100 in 1982 when adjusted for inflation today? That was for a 3 volume set I had to buy for one class.

Here in the Tampa area there are multiple schools within driving distance. USF, UT, HCC, Polk State, FSC, SPC, PHCC. Those are just the ones that I thought of in about 30 seconds. Just because books have always been expensive doesn't mean that have to be now. It's a racket, no other way to put it. If you make all of the PUBLIC institutes of higher learning use the same textbooks, you would save the students a **** ton of money.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Here in the Tampa area there are multiple schools within driving distance. USF, UT, HCC, Polk State, FSC, SPC, PHCC. Those are just the ones that I thought of in about 30 seconds. Just because books have always been expensive doesn't mean that have to be now. It's a racket, no other way to put it. If you make all of the PUBLIC institutes of higher learning use the same textbooks, you would save the students a **** ton of money.

But I lived in Sarasota, worked full time, and went to a satellite campus. No 4 year state schools in Sarasota in the 80s except USF.

Edited by slick1ru2

But I lived in Sarasota, worked full time, and went to a satellite campus. No 4 year state schools in Sarasota in the 80s except USF.

Yes, in the 80's things were rather limited, but now there are multiple choices. Look, I'm not saying that dropping a **** ton of money into athletics at the possible cost of education is right. But there are plenty of ways that we can limit the cost of college for the kids today. The $795 a year figure was just a bad example to point out IMO.