• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl Game Rumor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

It is what it is.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

What I'm hearing, from a pretty solid source.

Our champion (or best avail) will like play a New Years Day/New Years Eve game against the MWC champion.

No bowl mentioned, so I don't know if its an existing game or a new game.

Wow.

This is exactly what I wanted to see. I know most of you hate this, but I think this is the first step of the splitting of the "P5" from everyone else.

Good riddance.

This is the first step to splitting the P5 from the rest?!

Losing a match up between the #6-9 team in a power conference against the AAC champ (a game the P5 team definitely was not looking forward to) is not going to be a factor.

I know there's a group that would just rather throw in the towel and play in what is now 1AA and be happy with that, but you'll see fans disappear en mass.  I'm not sure how long I'll hold out and go to games if we're done with the big leagues for good.  Sure I'll still watch games on the tube when I can, but it just wont matter  anymore.

Edited by Bull Martin
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Our champion (or best avail) will like play a New Years Day/New Years Eve game against the MWC champion.

Wow.

This is exactly what I wanted to see. I know most of you hate this, but I think this is the first step of the splitting of the "P5" from everyone else.

Good riddance.

Good riddance? So u want to permanently on the wrong side of the divide? Sorry, I don't.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,748
  • Days Won:  3

..I know there's a group that would just rather throw in the towel and play in what is now 1AA and be happy with that, but you'll see fans disappear en mass.  I'm not sure how long I'll hold out and go to games if we're done with the big leagues for good.  Sure I'll still watch games on the tube when I can, but it just wont matter  anymore. 

That's just the cards we've been dealt. I doubt I'd still be a season ticket holder had the program ceased development in the 1AA days, conference eligible for a playoff or not. As for me, our status going forward determines my participation. I know we may well be in the AAC for an extended period of time, and I can tough it out for a while, but there's that thought, way back in the darkest recesses of my noodle, that says this is a setback, not a conclusion. So here's my question...taking the MAC as an example. Those boys have been playing football for ages. Now, year in and year out - what gets them through the season? It's one thing to know that playing for the NC is a long shot (in a BCS/P5 conference), but quite another to know that the option doesn't exist. Even CUSA would be a good example. I really think that taking a step back is more detrimental than to have never had the option to begin with. And you are right about fan exodus. It's gonna be interesting to see what level of 'faithful' we have over the next few years. Just sayin'....

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Wow.

Good riddance.

This is the first step to splitting the P5 from the rest?!

Losing a match up between the #6-9 team in a power conference against the AAC champ (a game the P5 team definitely was not looking forward to) is not going to be a factor.

I know there's a group that would just rather throw in the towel and play in what is now 1AA and be happy with that, but you'll see fans disappear en mass.  I'm not sure how long I'll hold out and go to games if we're done with the big leagues for good.  Sure I'll still watch games on the tube when I can, but it just wont matter  anymore.

Yeah, I think so. 

If you see the AAC, MWC, C-USA and others start to schedule more bowls with one another because 'marquee' games only want "P5" teams - I think eventually the haves will separate from the have nots. I still think the Gang of Five should be more proactive and start coming up with something new. The ratings and the cash won't be there of course, but at least we won't be the "P5's" b****.

If our champion (or best available) plays the champ (or best available) of the MWC, who is #2 and #3 going to play? In what bowl?

The BCS slot will not be up for grabs forever. Eventually, the networks will demand a 'brand' team in every bowl game to maximize their return of investment. 

I believe the split is coming, in one form or another and I think it will happen sooner, rather than later.

Then again, I could be wrong.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18819-1367359591-0.

Wow.

Good riddance.

Good riddance? So u want to permanently on the wrong side of the divide? Sorry, I don't.

I don't think it is a game we can win. 

I am of the opinion that perception will always be against us. 

Sure, we would be making more $$$ as part of a "P5" conference (I still wish the ACC would have blown-up), but I believe USF will still always be behind the 8-ball. A selection committee choosing USF over a 'brand' school that the networks will want to bring in interest and ratings? Come on. Even if we went in guns blazing and winning games, I don't believe we will be given a fair shake.

Let's assume we make it to the B12. When will our coaches, facilities or tradition rival Texas, Oklahoma, OK State, et al.? We might convince a few recruits to stay at home - most of them will go to the "legacy" schools, don't you think?

We were supposed to have the advantage keeping recruits at home in the Big East. How many players did we lose to Rutgers, West Virginia and Louisville? What's going to happen when a kid is approached by the Longhorns or the Sooners?

As unfair and Texas and Oklahoma-centric as the B12 - realistically, the only "P5" conference we could land in is, do you see USF being a serious contender?

I understand is about prestige and wearing green and gold t-shirts around the 'cool kids'. I have just come to think of all of this expansion nonsense differently. 

I too was ready to give up on USF, even posting at one point if we weren't included in realignment, I would be unable to continue following the Bulls. I remember several of the responses saying something to the effect, "Bulls fan no matter what" and "Don't let the door hit you...". It's ironic how the tables have turned.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

If that happens Balto, I hope you'll enjoy sitting in Corbett Soccer Stadium by yourself with the players families watching USF Football play.

I'll give you this though, every chance you get to pitch this terrible idealism...you jump up on that soap box.

Nobody can predict the future in any form. You have no idea how we'd do in the B12.

I do know we'd be making a boatload more cash, have plenty of money to upgrade our facilities to the max, be playing a tough schedule that will get recruits excited, and have the opportunity to build a legacy and play for a national championship.

In your scenario, might as well play for the intramural team.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

..I know there's a group that would just rather throw in the towel and play in what is now 1AA and be happy with that, but you'll see fans disappear en mass.  I'm not sure how long I'll hold out and go to games if we're done with the big leagues for good.  Sure I'll still watch games on the tube when I can, but it just wont matter  anymore. 

That's just the cards we've been dealt. I doubt I'd still be a season ticket holder had the program ceased development in the 1AA days, conference eligible for a playoff or not. As for me, our status going forward determines my participation. I know we may well be in the AAC for an extended period of time, and I can tough it out for a while, but there's that thought, way back in the darkest recesses of my noodle, that says this is a setback, not a conclusion. So here's my question...taking the MAC as an example. Those boys have been playing football for ages. Now, year in and year out - what gets them through the season? It's one thing to know that playing for the NC is a long shot (in a BCS/P5 conference), but quite another to know that the option doesn't exist. Even CUSA would be a good example. I really think that taking a step back is more detrimental than to have never had the option to begin with. And you are right about fan exodus. It's gonna be interesting to see what level of 'faithful' we have over the next few years. Just sayin'....

The difference is the number of fans an actual attendance.  USF has a better attendance record than just about every non-BCS team.  I think we average somewhere between 40 and 50K for the last 4 or 5 years.

After another 5 years of mid-major athletics it's possible that number could grow or maintain, but it's highly unlikely.  The interest will stale as a good season will result in almost nothing.  A ten win season followed by a bowl match-up 1500 miles away versus Akron or a 6-6 Georgia is hardly worth watching on TV, let alone attending.

If that happens Balto, I hope you'll enjoy sitting in Corbett Soccer Stadium by yourself with the players families watching USF Football play.

I'll give you this though, every chance you get to pitch this terrible idealism...you jump up on that soap box.

nobody can predict the future in any form. You have no idea how we'd do in the B12.

Nor do you, my friend. Optimism, meet pessimism. 

And every chance you've gotten to pitch your idealism, even saying we could win a national championship if memory serves me...you've jumped on as well.

One of us is right and one of us is wrong in how this will all shake out.

But, come on Hem, games are won by the quality of the coaches and the players, right? Given the state of USF's facilities, lack of history and 'brand presence' compared to the big dogs in the B12, how many recruits do we steal from Texas, Oklahoma and the others? Will being in the B12 allow us to steal recruits from the other "P5" conferences? Did being in a BCS conference help us before? It's all about perception.

I think history already played this out in the Big East and for the most part, we lost recruiting battles. We lost a lot of conference games as a result. No depth as a result of not being able to sign a lot of quality players. Maybe you do, but I just don't see it playing out any differently in the B12. There are only so many players, the same number as there were before and almost all of them will make the same choice recruits made before them - go to the school with prestige. Go to the school with history. Etc...

I hate to admit this as well, but the moment USF signs with the B12, the perception will be they are the 'fifth' conference for having to stoop to the level of having to sign USF / UCF, Cincy, UConn, whoever...I think the B12 is cognizant of this in some form. I could be wrong.

Sure, attendance will suffer. Donations will likely decrease due to the resentment of fans and some of them will RUN to put on their orange and blue, but what can you do?

We can't change what is happening, but I think I am looking at things from a rational point of view. 

At this point, I've figured out for the most part how one thing will play out. I thought it had been obvious for a while.

I will be pleasantly surprised if things turn out for the better of USF. However, at this point I will not be crushed, disappointed or bitter. I've already grieved.