• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's basketball problems.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

If I look at a basketball game and ask the questions….

1. What hurts more an elbow in the ribs going up for a rebound or Getting hit by a basket ball made from rubber and filled with air……Probably the elbow.
  2. If  firing a coach for throwing a round, soft basket ball is grounds for firing…Why are players allowed to throw elbows without being expelled from College ?????

Get the Irony ????……

1. If a player is deemed excessive in throwing an elbow, he can be hit with a Flagrant 1 or 2 and ejected at the refs' discretion IIRC

2. You say getting hit by a round, soft basketball as if it were a round pillow filled with feathers. In some of the clips, he was pegging players in/near the head. A well inflated basketball is not akin to a feather soft pillow, and speaking from experience, getting drilled in the head with one isn't exactly pleasant.

bull-71 has already admitted he has no idea what he's talking about and is pulling stuff out of his ass. There's not really any reason to engage him in this conversation once he admits that.

Edited by gobulls83

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Gobulls83 @ 7:02 is spot on.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

• What hurts more an elbow in the ribs going up for a rebound or Getting hit by a basket ball made from rubber and filled with air……Probably the elbow.
  • If firing a coach for throwing a round, soft basket ball is grounds for firing…Why are players allowed to throw elbows without being expelled from College ?????
Get the Irony ????……
1. If a player is deemed excessive in throwing an elbow, he can be hit with a Flagrant 1 or 2 and ejected at the refs' discretion IIRC

2. You say getting hit by a round, soft basketball as if it were a round pillow filled with feathers. In some of the clips, he was pegging players in/near the head. A well inflated basketball is not akin to a feather soft pillow, and speaking from experience, getting drilled in the head with one isn't exactly pleasant.

bull-71 has already admitted he has no idea what he's talking about and is pulling stuff out of his ass. There's not really any reason to engage him in this conversation once he admits that.

$50 says its not going to keep him from continuing to discuss it. In fact, I'll say he's got at least 3 more posts in him on the matter.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

• What hurts more an elbow in the ribs going up for a rebound or Getting hit by a basket ball made from rubber and filled with air……Probably the elbow.
  • If firing a coach for throwing a round, soft basket ball is grounds for firing…Why are players allowed to throw elbows without being expelled from College ?????
Get the Irony ????……

$50 says its not going to keep him from continuing to discuss it. In fact, I'll say he's got at least 3 more posts in him on the matter.

One down 2 to go for the $50...do I get a split on that?

My original post was about my belief that the coach was let go because of his won and loss record.....to many losses and the ABUSE was being blown way out of proportion and being used as a management tool ..

and that if he had a Strong Winning record none of this would have seen the light of day...(PENN ST).  Using ABUSE is a way for Rutgers to try to calm down any die hard coach fans....WE had NO OPTION BUT TO LET HIM GO......

So far I have not seen any post that make me believe what is comming out of my ASS is any worse or better.... .... :blush:

Getting hit by a basket ball is part of the game....It happens all the time...Getting hit by an elbow happens all the time and as mentioned there are fouls.....

Does it not make any sense that FIRING a coach  is excessive..and stupid ...for getting hit by a basket ball....

Edited by bull-71

Ok Jtrue 2 of 3...Back to topic.

For USF to be a basket ball power we need size, speed and scrappers.   They need to have mental and physical toughness...Jockey and position temselves for rebounds...This is not a game for pansies.

There are broken noses and bones.....Our recruiting staff has to be able to evaluate these players...Strong willed but not THUGS....I don't know If our style of play (dictated by our coaches) in the past has turned away these type of scrappers...

IMO We can be better but for some reason we have spurts but no continuity...to build the national legacy....

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

You really don't know a ******* thing about this, do you? You want to know why he got fired, because the video was made public. Rutgers as an institution is on thin ice already when it comes to anything involving homophobic insults, actions, etc. and this already cost the coach and AD their jobs and might take the president of the university down with it if the faculty have their way. Explain how that has anything to do with his record.

You really don't know a ******* thing about this, do you? You want to know why he got fired, because the video was made public. Rutgers as an institution is on thin ice already when it comes to anything involving homophobic insults, actions, etc. and this already cost the coach and AD their jobs and might take the president of the university down with it if the faculty have their way. Explain how that has anything to do with his record.

You are correct ...It was made public.....But WHY was it made PUBLIC.....Penn State covered it up for years...

Insults are a fact of life in the locker room...they are used to get a players attention and to try to get them excited and focused.....I can asure you that the Half time in a locker room can be very unpleasant.

The trick is to find the right balance...and some coaches are better than others......I take no offense to homophopic insults...."What are you a sissy" is as old as the hills...I'm not saying this or defending this but any player who has gone from Pee-Wee to College ball has probably heard it 100 times....

IMO there are plenty of "KINGS" in waiting looking for a high paying position in Rutgers...and pulling lots of strings and making phone calls... IMO the Abuse is a TOOL but not the reason... 

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,575
  • Days Won:  423

You are correct ...It was made public.....But WHY was it made PUBLIC.....Penn State covered it up for years...

Insults are a fact of life in the locker room...they are used to get a players attention and to try to get them excited and focused.....I can asure you that the Half time in a locker room can be very unpleasant.

The trick is to find the right balance...and some coaches are better than others......I take no offense to homophopic insults...."What are you a sissy" is as old as the hills...I'm not saying this or defending this but any player who has gone from Pee-Wee to College ball has probably heard it 100 times....

IMO there are plenty of "KINGS" in waiting looking for a high paying position in Rutgers...and pulling lots of strings and making phone calls... IMO the Abuse is a TOOL but not the reason...

facepalm-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

I actually like the fact the AD risked (and lost) his job trying to "rehab" Rice - if in fact that plan was to put him under training and set expectations for his performance.  The AD could have had a rigid and structured manner to deal with this (that should have been underway already) that would have led to a better outcome - even with the apparently scorned Murdock still stirring the pot.  Sounds like that plan was neither actually thought of or implemented.  The AD, in the end, likely got what he deserved.  Appears he didn't give Rice the serious and strict attention this situation called for.

This is a real close one, but overall I agree that rehab was a legitimate, albeit gutsy, option.

Rice's behavior was unacceptable and way overboard. But, as a result, he was reprimanded, suspended, fined, and sent to anger management. It's unclear as to whether or not they were monitoring his progress during the season, but I think that should've been done as well. In the event any of the behavior returned, it'd be immediate grounds for termination. Again, this is a real close one, and I could've also seen merit in firing him from the onset.

I don't think the AD should've been fired, though, for trying to rehab the guy.

I don't think the AD should've been fired, though, for trying to rehab the guy.

You are 100% correct...

Even people who fail random manditory drug test get a chance...for rehab....

If the AD gets fired there is much more to this plot....

The question then becomes was RICE used as a tool to get rid of the AD....

We will never know....