• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's basketball problems.....

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,015
  • Days Won:  469

Here’s the sad part about Rutgers men’s basketball coach Mike Rice being fired: if video never surfaces, then he still has a job.

And why did the video surface?

Because whatever spat that Rice got into with former staff member Eric Murdock couldn’t be resolved cordially. Murdock did not have his contract renewed by the university, so he blew the whistle. He went to Rice’s boss and tried to get him fired. When that didn’t work, he went to Outside The Lines and made sure that the world saw the video, because if the world didn’t see the video, Rutgers was going to do nothing more than smack Rice on the wrist and sweep this under the rug.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/mike-rice-firing-how-eric-murdocks-departure-set-off-chain-reaction/

Eric Murdock filed the lawsuit Friday in state court, accusing the university of violating the state's employee protection act and his contract and of retaliating against him for complaining about the mistreatment of players.

"Efforts to get Rutgers to address their problems were ignored for months," Murdock said at a news conference in a banquet facility. "Instead I was removed from my position. That is wrong and why I filed a lawsuit."

Murdock said his lawyer wrote to the university about coach Mike Rice's "unlawful conduct" in July and gave the university video in November showing Rice pushing players, throwing basketballs at them and berating them with invectives, including gay slurs.

"Despite having been in possession of such video footage, the university and its representatives inexplicably chose to ignore Defendant Rice's unlawful conduct," the lawsuit said.

Murdock, who played in the NBA for nine seasons, was the director of player of development for the program. His contract wasn't renewed in July.

He said he was let go after a dispute with Rice about missing about 35 minutes of the coach's youth basketball camp.

Since he didn't provide video until after fired, it will be interesting if he has proof he was a "whistleblower" or is it just a he said/she said now after his revenge has been taken.  Did he write them before or after Rice fired him?  And what was the content?  Going he route of Penn State.

I sure hope Murdock is clean, but it's to be determined.  He has filed a whistleblower suit attaching his firing in July to Rice's behavior and the tape in November. Some sequence issues there.  I wonder what he did with the video from July to November.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/21894252/whistleblower-murdock-sues-rutgers#ixzz2PdxPVugc

Oh, and to be sure:

Kozyra would not comment on reports that Murdock was willing to settle with the university for $950,000. He said Murdock didn't file the lawsuit for

money. 

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/21894252/whistleblower-murdock-sues-rutgers#ixzz2PdzVKw7q

:roflmao:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,578
  • Days Won:  423

What got him Fired was a loosing season...Had he won...most would have looked the otherway..or find ways to excuse it.

Go Bulls

You guys should read up.  If he hadn't fired an assistant, he'd still be coach.  There's some revenge in this.

That's irrelevant to the part of this discussion pertaining to whether what was on the tape enough for grounds for dismissal.

I haven't seen anything related to

USF's basketball problems.....

either, and it was in response to:

My understanding was that Murdock brought the issue to Pernetti's attention during the summer and then, shortly after, his contract "was not renewed" (aka he was terminated). It was after that that he put the video together and brought it to the AD. At least, that's how I've seen it laid out.

As for the tape, the actions on the tape are ridiculous and stupid. 

I actually like the fact the AD risked (and lost) his job trying to "rehab" Rice - if in fact that plan was to put him under training and set expectations for his performance.  The AD could have had a rigid and structured manner to deal with this (that should have been underway already) that would have led to a better outcome - even with the apparently scorned Murdock still stirring the pot.  Sounds like that plan was neither actually thought of or implemented.  The AD, in the end, likely got what he deserved.  Appears he didn't give Rice the serious and strict attention this situation called for.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

If I look at a basketball game and ask the questions….

1. What hurts more an elbow in the ribs going up for a rebound or Getting hit by a basket ball made from rubber and filled with air……Probably the elbow.
  2. If  firing a coach for throwing a round, soft basket ball is grounds for firing…Why are players allowed to throw elbows without being expelled from College ?????

Get the Irony ????……

Edited by bull-71
  • Downvote 1

The video made me feel better that my only punishment was running suicides.  Oh, and one light kick to the leg.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,578
  • Days Won:  423

1. What hurts more an elbow in the ribs going up for a rebound or Getting hit by a basket ball made from rubber and filled with air……Probably the elbow.
  2. If  firing a coach for throwing a round, soft basket ball is grounds for firing…Why are players allowed to throw elbows without being expelled from College ?????

Get the Irony ????……

:facepalm:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Get the Irony ????……

1. If a player is deemed excessive in throwing an elbow, he can be hit with a Flagrant 1 or 2 and ejected at the refs' discretion IIRC

2. You say getting hit by a round, soft basketball as if it were a round pillow filled with feathers. In some of the clips, he was pegging players in/near the head. A well inflated basketball is not akin to a feather soft pillow, and speaking from experience, getting drilled in the head with one isn't exactly pleasant.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

The videos indicate that the coach does not respect his players. 

• Upvote 1