• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

when do we fire Heath?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Heath has bought some time with his NCAA run last year (coming from one of the toughest basketball conferences). Considering our prior success in hiring basketball coaches we may want to let Heath work his way out of this.

Having said that, the status quo will not be acceptable. He needs to develop a better offensive scheme and recruit players who can execute the scheme. Out offense looks like the equivelent of the football team back in 2008 getting inside the 20 yard line and then letting Grothe run around to make something happen.

Did you happen to notice the recruiting class that just signed?  The on that was Top 25 in the nation out of 300+ DI basketball schools?  The five stud players that will be here next season?

Don't fall in love with the recruiting rankings. Let's see if the hype translates into results.

>> 

I really can't believe what I'm reading.  Heath has taken us where we've never been and has had a great recruiting class.  You don't fire a guy for a bad season here and there.

Here or there?

Heath's conf records:

Arkansas

4-12

4-12

6-10

10-6

7-9

USF

3-15

4-14

9-9

3-15

12-6

1-9

Only 2 winning conf seasons out of 11.

Bad season here and there?

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National Top 10 recruiting class for the 2003-2004 season at Arkansas. Super talented 6-7 G/F Ronnie Brewer and 6-5 G/F Olu Famutimi highlighted that class. The team went 12-16(4-12 SEC). Besides the incoming talent some of the returning guys from the previous year's team(9-19, 4-12 SEC) wasn't bad. One that comes to mind was explosive scorer 6-5 SG Jonathon Modica(wish this USF team had him).

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National Top 3 class for the 2004-2005 season. 7ft 260+ lbs 5* Center Steven Hill( Best defensive center in college I ever seen with my own eyes) Heath got Hill to commit over Kansas. I remember hearing a story over the radio where Hill's entire bedroom was filled with Kansas Jayhawks stuff including the covers on his bed. Also 4* 6-10 Darian Townes(A+ offensive skills) and 4* 6-8 Charles "The Manimal" Thomas(A better Gus Glichrist). He also signed JC All American 3* 6-5 PG Dontell Jefferson.

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National top 15 class highlighted by 3 top 100 players in 4* 6-2 combo guard Patrick Beverley(remember he attempted twice to transfer to USF), #1 JC player 4* 6-5 G/F Sonny Weems, and 5* 6-10 PF Michael Washington. Stan and his staff were able to get and keep those guys from going to Tenn and Memphis where Bruce Pearl and John Calipari were really applying the pressure.

So basically Stan is the basketball version of Ron Zook??

Actually, Ron Zook had a winning conf record at UF (16-8 over 3 years) which lead to his firing at UF.

However, Zook's tenure at Illinois (only 1 winning conf season, which was a trip to the Rose Bowl out of 7, only a 32.1% conf winning percentage) does somewhat resemble Heath's tenure at USF (1 conf winning season, trip to the NCAA, 34.8% conf winning percentage).

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Who exactly asked the knight?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Is today soon enough to fire him?  Maybe they can forget to tell him when the plane is leaving and just let him stay as an asst with Jay Wright.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Heath has bought some time with his NCAA run last year (coming from one of the toughest basketball conferences). Considering our prior success in hiring basketball coaches we may want to let Heath work his way out of this.

Having said that, the status quo will not be acceptable. He needs to develop a better offensive scheme and recruit players who can execute the scheme. Out offense looks like the equivelent of the football team back in 2008 getting inside the 20 yard line and then letting Grothe run around to make something happen.

Did you happen to notice the recruiting class that just signed? The on that was Top 25 in the nation out of 300+ DI basketball schools? The five stud players that will be here next season?
Don't fall in love with the recruiting rankings. Let's see if the hype translates into results.
>

>

>>

I really can't believe what I'm reading. Heath has taken us where we've never been and has had a great recruiting class. You don't fire a guy for a bad season here and there.

Here or there?

Heath's conf records:

Arkansas

4-12

4-12

6-10

10-6

7-9

USF

3-15

4-14

9-9

3-15

12-6

1-9

>>

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National Top 10 recruiting class for the 2003-2004 season at Arkansas. Super talented 6-7 G/F Ronnie Brewer and 6-5 G/F Olu Famutimi highlighted that class. The team went 12-16(4-12 SEC). Besides the incoming talent some of the returning guys from the previous year's team(9-19, 4-12 SEC) wasn't bad. One that comes to mind was explosive scorer 6-5 SG Jonathon Modica(wish this USF team had him).

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National Top 3 class for the 2004-2005 season. 7ft 260+ lbs 5* Center Steven Hill( Best defensive center in college I ever seen with my own eyes) Heath got Hill to commit over Kansas. I remember hearing a story over the radio where Hill's entire bedroom was filled with Kansas Jayhawks stuff including the covers on his bed. Also 4* 6-10 Darian Townes(A+ offensive skills) and 4* 6-8 Charles "The Manimal" Thomas(A better Gus Glichrist). He also signed JC All American 3* 6-5 PG Dontell Jefferson.

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National top 15 class highlighted by 3 top 100 players in 4* 6-2 combo guard Patrick Beverley(remember he attempted twice to transfer to USF), #1 JC player 4* 6-5 G/F Sonny Weems, and 5* 6-10 PF Michael Washington. Stan and his staff were able to get and keep those guys from going to Tenn and Memphis where Bruce Pearl and John Calipari were really applying the pressure.

So basically Stan is the basketball version of Ron Zook??

Actually, Ron Zook had a winning conf record at UF (16-8 over 3 years) which lead to his firing at UF.

However, Zook's tenure at Illinois (only 1 winning conf season, which was a trip to the Rose Bowl out of 7, only a 32.1% conf winning percentage) does somewhat resemble Heath's tenure at USF (1 conf winning season, trip to the NCAA, 34.8% conf winning percentage).

so you're agreeing with me. Gotcha

Edited by Held_AccountaBull

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

This is as stupid as saying the following coaches are on the hot seat because of poor seasons

Rick Barnes

Roy Williams

Bob Huggins

You don't look at overall record when you are looking at a program that was in the doldrums twice when he took over the position

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985

I really can't believe what I'm reading.  Heath has taken us where we've never been and has had a great recruiting class.  You don't fire a guy for a bad season here and there.

Here or there?

Heath's conf records:

Arkansas

4-12

4-12

6-10

10-6

7-9

USF

3-15

4-14

9-9

3-15

12-6

1-9

What do we care what he did at Arkansas, you imbecile? We can't fire him for that. He'll have had 2 bad seasons out of the last 4 HERE, wrapped around 2 of the best in the history of the program. That would be the "here and there" ... :loser:

how about 4 bad in last 6.  I would contend last year was not coaching but the players.  A coach makes a mediocre team good, and a good team better.  Heath is making a mediocre team a joke.  More importantly, he is making my school a joke.  he was Coach of the Year, and now his team is shooting under 30% FG.... In pior year we played a sufficating defense that allowed us to win with 45-50 points, now we score 40 but cannot hold the other team down.  

I understand not having men under the basket for offensive rebounds when you are scoring.   Any public rec. league coach would have his team fight for offensive rebounds in this situation.  We are fishing in the desert right now, not able to put anything in the net.... have your guys stay home and get a second shot.  Protecting the transition with 4 back does not work.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985

This is as stupid as saying the following coaches are on the hot seat because of poor seasons

Rick Barnes

Roy Williams

Bob Huggins

You don't look at overall record when you are looking at a program that was in the doldrums twice when he took over the position

I still go back to my initial post, which was where was all the fan angst?  You do not care that we are the laughing stock of the big east in our two major sports now?  When are we allowed to have this conversation?  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If as a coach I get students like Teeng Akol, Gene Teague, and Waverly Austin to want to come to USF to play basketball and according to the NCAA they are "Fully Qualified", please don't come to me talking about "Look at your record here".

GTFOH with that BS. I'm sure when Teague was dominating us in the post it was like a thousand little needles all over Stan Heath's body.

Well we're building the school's academic reputation on the 98 kids who play football and basketball as opposed to the 30 or 40,000 who just generally attend college. The reverse of Duke. Didn't you get the memo?

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Rick Barnes

Roy Williams

Bob Huggins

Lmao you can't be that stupid. you're comparing heath to a coach that has won multiple national championships and 2 other coaches who consistently have their teams in the tournament.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If as a coach I get students like Teeng Akol, Gene Teague, and Waverly Austin to want to come to USF to play basketball and according to the NCAA they are "Fully Qualified", please don't come to me talking about "Look at your record here".

GTFOH with that BS. I'm sure when Teague was dominating us in the post it was like a thousand little needles all over Stan Heath's body.

Well we're building the school's academic reputation on the 98 kids who play football and basketball as opposed to the 30 or 40,000 who just generally attend college. The reverse of Duke. Didn't you get the memo?

---------------

You made me laugh Sanjay