• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

when do we fire Heath?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

This again. it's the academic committee's fault that USF basketball is down so much from last year.

HE DIDN'T QUALIFY.

FIN.

Besides. At what point does one point out that Waverly Austin has barely cracked the rotation at Oregon?

The issue is not that he did not meet USF's higher standards. The issue is the handling of the situation and the unresolved questions.

He completed his courses at Palm Beach State (a FL Juco) in the spring. He enrolled in summer classes at USF. Three days before the start of fall classes they ruled him ineligible.

How does it take our academic committee 3 months to review a transcript from an in-state school?

Shouldn't they already know or have a pretty good idea of what classes will be accepted?

Assuming that the committee did know, who was counseling Austin and gave him bad information? (And again, why did it take 3 months?)

If the interest of the student-athlete is the priority, why was this decision passed down the last business day before classes begin in the fall?

Why was this decision such a shock to Heath and the staff, if they and Austin previously knew the requirements needed?

There are still too many outstanding questions in this case to simply blame Austin for not getting it done, and most of those questions point to the academic committee.

Once again.  It is my understanding from what I read at the time that Austin knew what he had to do and didn't get it done.  No last minute change of heart by the academic committee.  No shocking reversal.  There are set criteria and he didn't meet that criteria.  It's on Waverly Austin.

If what you say is correct, that Austin knew exactly what he needed to do and failed to complete it, then there are still questions remaining.

Why did it take 3 months to hand down this decision? Shouldn't it be a black and white case of "here's his transcript, check, check, check, nope you failed that class"?

Again, Heath seemed shocked by the decision. Did he expect Austin to qualify? Was he lied to? Did someone give Austin bad information?

The way things happened don't add up for me. Unfortunately, as Trip said, we will likely never know the full story because of confidentiality.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

I really can't believe what I'm reading.  Heath has taken us where we've never been and has had a great recruiting class.  You don't fire a guy for a bad season here and there.

Here or there?

Heath's conf records:

Arkansas

4-12

4-12

6-10

10-6

7-9

USF

3-15

4-14

9-9

3-15

12-6

1-9

Only 2 winning conf seasons out of 11.

Bad season here and there?

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

This again. it's the academic committee's fault that USF basketball is down so much from last year.

HE DIDN'T QUALIFY.

FIN.

Besides. At what point does one point out that Waverly Austin has barely cracked the rotation at Oregon?

LOL typical grumpy joe.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985

I didn't see the game tonight but it's pretty hard to believe that you could criticize the AD for not canning a guy who coached the team to it's best season ever (and certainly in recent memory).

I did not criticize Woolard, I said why are we not talking about it NOW.  Obviously I was high on the team, I bought season tickets for this season, I WANT the team to win, and I like Heath.  However, his body of work and the team's cellar position (again) would dictate the conversation.  Is  Heath getting a pass this year when the fact is we have a horrible playing team?

We do not play a penetrating game, we do not seem to push in.  Fitzgerald has the size to muscle yet he backs off.  where is the coaching?

I really can't believe what I'm reading.  Heath has taken us where we've never been and has had a great recruiting class.  You don't fire a guy for a bad season here and there.

Here or there?

Heath's conf records:

Arkansas

4-12

4-12

6-10

10-6

7-9

USF

3-15

4-14

9-9

3-15

12-6

1-9

My point is numbers....

IMO, We should fire the guy(s) who wouldn't let Austin play for USF. That was the third time in the last few years that an incoming BIG man was let go right before the fall semester. A coach shouldn't have to deal with that, when those players are cleared by the NCAA and then go to big name schools. It's just ridiculous.

Exactly!  This academic committee is an absolute joke.  They obviously don't know their own university well considering we could've hooked that kid up with a degree in phys ed with a "tutor" to drive his but to class.  Easily would've kept his grades up.  If he can play at Oregon, he could've played here.  That group, whoever they are, really pisses me off more times than not.  These guys aren't "students", they are entertainers.

As for the discussion at hand.  I was all for firing Heath, but when the man got us TWO wins in the tourney, that bought him a few seasons.  If we suck like this every season for the next 2-3 after we were in the dance, then you fire him bc no way you could win two games in the dance and not be able to recruit a decent class or two that can actually produce. 

Yeah, why should a university concern themselves with academics?  Preposterous!

Besides, remember this academic board was created because our teams' were so far below NCAA standards they were going to take away scholarships.  Now we are considered one of the most improved academically.  As frustrating as it is, put this blame on the HS coaches and parents, and media that do not get these stars in the classroom to qualify.  We just had national signing day where all these kids learn they own the rest of the world (in their minds).  It is ridiculous that a HS kid gets a press conference to announce their college selection.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

IMO, We should fire the guy(s) who wouldn't let Austin play for USF. That was the third time in the last few years that an incoming BIG man was let go right before the fall semester. A coach shouldn't have to deal with that, when those players are cleared by the NCAA and then go to big name schools. It's just ridiculous.

Exactly!  This academic committee is an absolute joke.  They obviously don't know their own university well considering we could've hooked that kid up with a degree in phys ed with a "tutor" to drive his but to class.  Easily would've kept his grades up.  If he can play at Oregon, he could've played here.  That group, whoever they are, really pisses me off more times than not.  These guys aren't "students", they are entertainers.

As for the discussion at hand.  I was all for firing Heath, but when the man got us TWO wins in the tourney, that bought him a few seasons.  If we suck like this every season for the next 2-3 after we were in the dance, then you fire him bc no way you could win two games in the dance and not be able to recruit a decent class or two that can actually produce.

Yeah, why should a university concern themselves with academics?  Preposterous!

Besides, remember this academic board was created because our teams' were so far below NCAA standards they were going to take away scholarships.  Now we are considered one of the most improved academically.  As frustrating as it is, put this blame on the HS coaches and parents, and media that do not get these stars in the classroom to qualify.  We just had national signing day where all these kids learn they own the rest of the world (in their minds).  It is ridiculous that a HS kid gets a press conference to announce their college selection.

Ridiculous? Not at all. Just giving the customers (the fans!) what they want. We love football

THIS is a high school stadium, and it's soldout every Friday night

allen-stadium-001.jpg

Edited by charsibb

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

Here or there?

Heath's conf records:

Arkansas

4-12

4-12

6-10

10-6

7-9

USF

3-15

4-14

9-9

3-15

12-6

1-9

What do we care what he did at Arkansas, you imbecile? We can't fire him for that. He'll have had 2 bad seasons out of the last 4 HERE, wrapped around 2 of the best in the history of the program. That would be the "here and there" ... :loser:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Heath has bought some time with his NCAA run last year (coming from one of the toughest basketball conferences). Considering our prior success in hiring basketball coaches we may want to let Heath work his way out of this.

Having said that, the status quo will not be acceptable. He needs to develop a better offensive scheme and recruit players who can execute the scheme. Out offense looks like the equivelent of the football team back in 2008 getting inside the 20 yard line and then letting Grothe run around to make something happen.

Did you happen to notice the recruiting class that just signed?  The on that was Top 25 in the nation out of 300+ DI basketball schools?  The five stud players that will be here next season?

Don't fall in love with the recruiting rankings. Let's see if the hype translates into results.

Here or there?

Heath's conf records:

Arkansas

4-12

4-12

6-10

10-6

7-9

USF

3-15

4-14

9-9

3-15

12-6

1-9

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National Top 10 recruiting class for the 2003-2004 season at Arkansas. Super talented 6-7 G/F Ronnie Brewer and 6-5 G/F Olu Famutimi highlighted that class. The team went 12-16(4-12 SEC). Besides the incoming talent some of the returning guys from the previous year's team(9-19, 4-12 SEC) wasn't bad. One that comes to mind was explosive scorer 6-5 SG Jonathon Modica(wish this USF team had him).

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National Top 3 class for the 2004-2005 season. 7ft 260+ lbs 5* Center Steven Hill( Best defensive center in college I ever seen with my own eyes) Heath got Hill to commit over Kansas. I remember hearing a story over the radio where Hill's entire bedroom was filled with Kansas Jayhawks stuff including the covers on his bed. Also 4* 6-10 Darian Townes(A+ offensive skills) and 4* 6-8 Charles "The Manimal" Thomas(A better Gus Glichrist). He also signed JC All American 3* 6-5 PG Dontell Jefferson.

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National top 15 class highlighted by 3 top 100 players in 4* 6-2 combo guard Patrick Beverley(remember he attempted twice to transfer to USF), #1 JC player 4* 6-5 G/F Sonny Weems, and 5* 6-10 PF Michael Washington. Stan and his staff were able to get and keep those guys from going to Tenn and Memphis where Bruce Pearl and John Calipari were really applying the pressure.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Heath has bought some time with his NCAA run last year (coming from one of the toughest basketball conferences). Considering our prior success in hiring basketball coaches we may want to let Heath work his way out of this.

Having said that, the status quo will not be acceptable. He needs to develop a better offensive scheme and recruit players who can execute the scheme. Out offense looks like the equivelent of the football team back in 2008 getting inside the 20 yard line and then letting Grothe run around to make something happen.

Did you happen to notice the recruiting class that just signed?  The on that was Top 25 in the nation out of 300+ DI basketball schools?  The five stud players that will be here next season?

Don't fall in love with the recruiting rankings. Let's see if the hype translates into results.

Here or there?

Heath's conf records:

Arkansas

4-12

4-12

6-10

10-6

7-9

USF

3-15

4-14

9-9

3-15

12-6

1-9

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National Top 10 recruiting class for the 2003-2004 season at Arkansas. Super talented 6-7 G/F Ronnie Brewer and 6-5 G/F Olu Famutimi highlighted that class. The team went 12-16(4-12 SEC). Besides the incoming talent some of the returning guys from the previous year's team(9-19, 4-12 SEC) wasn't bad. One that comes to mind was explosive scorer 6-5 SG Jonathon Modica(wish this USF team had him).

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National Top 3 class for the 2004-2005 season. 7ft 260+ lbs 5* Center Steven Hill( Best defensive center in college I ever seen with my own eyes) Heath got Hill to commit over Kansas. I remember hearing a story over the radio where Hill's entire bedroom was filled with Kansas Jayhawks stuff including the covers on his bed. Also 4* 6-10 Darian Townes(A+ offensive skills) and 4* 6-8 Charles "The Manimal" Thomas(A better Gus Glichrist). He also signed JC All American 3* 6-5 PG Dontell Jefferson.

Stan Heath and his staff signed a National top 15 class highlighted by 3 top 100 players in 4* 6-2 combo guard Patrick Beverley(remember he attempted twice to transfer to USF), #1 JC player 4* 6-5 G/F Sonny Weems, and 5* 6-10 PF Michael Washington. Stan and his staff were able to get and keep those guys from going to Tenn and Memphis where Bruce Pearl and John Calipari were really applying the pressure.

So basically Stan is the basketball version of Ron Zook??