• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

vent your basketball frustrations thus far, here.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Vega,

Most don't hate Stan like you seem to. A good portion of us actually think he is a good coach.

I think I called Stan a good coach on numerous occasions. The 2 things I have said about him is I don't like his stubbornness or his offensive philosophy. Heath has a terrible offensive mind but he is and always has been an excellent defensive coach. He's basically Rex Ryan of CBB.

Heath knows all the defenses fullcourt and halfcourt. Stan has a 1-3-1 zone defense that is arguably the best zone I have ever seen played. He can't use it with this roster but with Egbunu, Rudd, Hawkins, Brock, and Zeigler on the team next season, I'm sure he will put it to good use. Hopefully Stan can sign a bigger PG then Collins because his defense really shines with a big lead guard.

If Jim Christian and Stan Heath could have stayed together longer after Kent St,  Heath would still be at Arkansas or coaching a bigger basketball program. Heath trusted Christian with many offensive duties, but he doesn't seem to give other assistants the same power. Dan Hipsher had a big role on Heath's staff, but never got to run his entire offense, just pieces of it.

Stan is a Tom Izzo disciple. Michigan State is known for tough defense and rebounding. Not for their offense. It has proven to be very effective as I believe they have been to 6 Final Fours and won 1 championship in his 17 years. that's crazy success.

from wiki

Izzo's teams are known for strong guard play, toughness and rebounding. Izzo is famed for his "war" rebounding drill, in which the players wear football helmets and shoulder pads.[12] His motto is "Players Play – Tough Players Win".[

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

looks like a long year

i still have faith in the coach

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

Vega,

Most don't hate Stan like you seem to. A good portion of us actually think he is a good coach.

I think I called Stan a good coach on numerous occasions. The 2 things I have said about him is I don't like his stubbornness or his offensive philosophy. Heath has a terrible offensive mind but he is and always has been an excellent defensive coach. He's basically Rex Ryan of CBB.

Heath knows all the defenses fullcourt and halfcourt. Stan has a 1-3-1 zone defense that is arguably the best zone I have ever seen played. He can't use it with this roster but with Egbunu, Rudd, Hawkins, Brock, and Zeigler on the team next season, I'm sure he will put it to good use. Hopefully Stan can sign a bigger PG then Collins because his defense really shines with a big lead guard.

If Jim Christian and Stan Heath could have stayed together longer after Kent St,  Heath would still be at Arkansas or coaching a bigger basketball program. Heath trusted Christian with many offensive duties, but he doesn't seem to give other assistants the same power. Dan Hipsher had a big role on Heath's staff, but never got to run his entire offense, just pieces of it.

Please tell me you don't mean this.  Or please tell me you are you are 20 years old or have never watched Syracuse play or Jack Kraft's ball defense at Villanova.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Vega,

Please tell me you don't mean this.  Or please tell me you are you are 20 years old or have never watched Syracuse play or Jack Kraft's ball defense at Villanova.

Dude, do you have any idea who you're questioning???

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Rebounding and Scoring are the problem. Fix both and we make nice run.  If we dont we will be sitting home in March.

Trip , watched the game last night too and that floor at oregon is Horrible,  I think its suppose to represent trees like up in Oregon but it look like a Hot Mess instead.

This what you're talking about? Yes, it's supposed to be trees, but even from straight overhead it's not that easy to see. I like the idea, but can't say much for the execution. Kentucky's proposed court, OTOH, is fantastic! LOL

UNIVERSITY-OF-OREGON-BASKETBALL-COURT-DE

coachcalcourt.jpg

I think I read something about it when it first put together. The intent of the artwork is to be as if you're in a forest looking up through the trees overhead. Also, there's something to the fir trees and it being a nickname of some sort for one of their teams from way back. The design under the O is for the Matthew Knight Arena, hence MATT.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Yeah screw you academic committee for upholding the standards of an educational institution.

We'd much rather take the loss in scholarships in the future and win now. Well, until the future comes and we blame the academic committee for allowing a academic risk to kill our APR.

Fair enough, and I agree, but ...

Why would Florida JC credits be acceptable to Oregon and not to a Florida institution such as USF?

I can't answer that. I can tell you that Oregon had one of the lowest APRs in college basketball a couple years ago.
Dude, I'm all for stout academics at USF...but come on, this is ******* basketball. It's not like he was sub-1.0 or holds his textbooks upside-down when reading. He was THE difference between what is and what could have been. Assign the guy a tutoring schedule and get him on the **** court!!

Again. If our APR sunk and we lost scholarships in 5 years you'd all be ******** about how the academic committee didn't do their job...

I AM ******** about how the committee didn't do it's job!!!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Vega,

Stan is a Tom Izzo disciple. Michigan State is known for tough defense and rebounding. Not for their offense. It has proven to be very effective as I believe they have been to 6 Final Fours and won 1 championship in his 17 years. that's crazy success.

from wiki

Izzo's teams are known for strong guard play, toughness and rebounding. Izzo is famed for his "war" rebounding drill, in which the players wear football helmets and shoulder pads.[12] His motto is "Players Play – Tough Players Win".[

You probably didn't know that I have a huge fan and supporter of Coach Izzo for a long time. Do not insult Coach Izzo by saying his and Stan's offense at USF are played the same. Izzo's teams run a fluid motion offense that can break down just about any defense. Izzo's teams do not look to drain the whole shot clock and his teams certainly don't lack the knowledge of how to attack zone defenses. If Izzo was on the sideline, watching USF pass the ball around the perimeter before forcing up a desperation shot or an out of control attempted drive, he would lose his mind. Izzo's teams also look to fast break at all times when it presents itself. If it is not there then they will run their sets in the halfcourt. Stan talks about doing that but that's all he does is talk.

Tom Crean was another top assistant under Izzo, you certainly wouldn't confuse his offense with what Stan calls an offense. Do you even watch MSU and Indiana or did you just decide to Wiki something without true research before and after?

Like I said many times Stan's defense in the halfcourt is good. What holds him back and will always cause him to underachieve even when he has a talented roster, is his offense or lack there of. Stan is every bit the defensive coach as Izzo and better then Crean, but he is a below a novice as an offensive mind compared to either of those two.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Hey, maybe this officially makes us a football school once more.

We beat them last year, so I'm sure they are paying back.

The good thing is that our team gets to go back home to Florida and all the Redbirds are still stuck in Louisville!

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Just finished watching this game, I think I have about covered it all off in this thread